Working out while sore

Options
Hello everyone I have a question. On Monday I worked out back and arms and today I did legs. Tomorrow I would like to do arms since I know you are suppose to rotate days but my arms are incredibly sore. Can you work out when you are sore or will you get hurt? Thanks for the help

Replies

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What's the rush? If you're super duper sore today from yesterday's workout, you probably pushed a little too hard. If you're looking for massive gainz, go slow. If you're looking for an injury and six months off on the couch with funyuns, keep doing what you're doing.

Muscle soreness is likely for any new exercise done hard. Go in small increments, don't push too hard.
  • cmchan9
    cmchan9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Me personally I have different degrees of soreness.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    cmchan9 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I have a question. On Monday I worked out back and arms and today I did legs. Tomorrow I would like to do arms since I know you are suppose to rotate days but my arms are incredibly sore. Can you work out when you are sore or will you get hurt? Thanks for the help

There is no reason to. Let the delayed onset muscle soreness pass then work them out again

• BirdieMaker55
    Options
    Warm up, stretch, drink water. More than likely you over did it. Some soreness is okay when you are first starting, however if you can't move.....
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If I'm crazy sore I take a day just because I don't want to tear a muscle or something crazy. A little sore I work through it. Make sure to stretch really well because it will reduce the soreness and it will prevent injuries. And drink lots of water your body needs it.
  • Megatoine
    Megatoine Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you listen to your body. If you can do arm work tomorrow - do it. But if you feel like it's too much too soon - don't. There is a difference between pain and soreness. Personally, there are times when being sore do not prevent me working out and there are times when being sore prevents me from getting up from a chair without making noises. Lol. That said - you will know what to do. When in doubt, walk it out. Just do an easy walk to get the cardio in until you feel like you can go at it again.
  • michael2884
    Options
    It sounds like you're wanting to see quicker results in your arm gains, if you want to be able to your your tris/bis multiple times a week (you shouldn't be sore by the time you work said muscle again) and get fast results try this split, it gives you time to recover but also can result in huge gains (it helped me add 10 solid pounds of muscle over 2 months, arms grew 1.5 inches plus lost BF)
    Chest/bis
    Back/tris
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Legs (optional)
    You directly work bis/tris 2x but indirectly work each also 2x. Don't forget they assist you during your chest/back/shoulder exercises.
  • jirisg92
    jirisg92 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Personal experience the soreness goes away once I work it out again, but if you can't then you can't.
    I tried insanity once and omg that second and 3rd day were unbelievable soreness but like two minutes into it again the soreness went away.
    Like I said if you feel like you can't I wouldn't make yourself do it. Maybe try to and if you notice it go away keep going if not and its causing discomfort just stop.
  • cmchan9
    cmchan9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and gals :) I think I just over did it a bit.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the foam roller/tennis ball self-massage techniques too. On a day I'm too sore I do some low-intensity yoga and then use one of those and follow up with a warm shower- can do a world of good in relieving the discomfort.