Apple Cider Vinegar to boost weight loss?

Options
My sister told me about all the benefits. How putting a tsp or tbsp in a glass of water helps cleanse toxins and suppress appetite and read online that this can help you lose 10-15 lbs in a few weeks. What are your opinions and thoughts on this guys?

Replies

• prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    id like to know this too...BUMP
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    taste nasty and does not work :)

best way to lose weight is to move more and eat at a deficit

Also your body gets rid of toxins on its own...its called your liver
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ehhh...it doesn't really sound legit to me. A regular glass of water will suppress appetite too, and your body already does a bangup job of removing toxins on its own.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to put the apple cider vinegar in a salad dressing and then put it on a big salad. That will curb your hunger, and it tastes a lot better than having it in water.

Any time anyone uses the word "cleanse," you should smile and back away slowly.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I put a tbsp in my water every morning. I go to the bathroom right after every morning. When I don't take acv in the morning, I don't go to the bathroom until later in the day, and less. Do I feel good after taking it? Yes. Has it helped my weight loss? Probably not. Was losing 2 pounds a week before taking it, and I'm losing the same now.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the search function, this comes up regularly.

There is no magic potion to lose weight. Only consume less than you use and you will lose weight.

ACV can be beneficial with some digestive issues but it is not a magic potion.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started doing this 10 years ago and although it hasn't affected my weight loss one way or the other, I haven't had a single cold since! (That was the actually the reason I researched and started drinking it.) After a very short time (a matter of days) I started to enjoy the flavour and now I find it quite refreshing. I have one in the morning and one before dinner, unless I'm having a salad for dinner (in which case I have two tbsp of apple cider vinegar on my salad so I figure that's probably enough vinegar!) I think of it as my morning/evening cocktail.

If you're doing this, be sure to drink it through a straw to protect your tooth enamel.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys and liver flush toxins from your body. You don't need ACV to do that.

ACV does not cause weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    LOL... Cleanse your body of toxins. Do you not have lungs, a liver, or kidneys?
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I prefer lemon and/or cucumber in my water just because I want to enjoy drinking it.

You can't cleanse your body of toxins with vinegar, cleanses, or gimmicks. Your body cleanses itself. If you're not a drug user, then what would you even need to cleanse?
  • dmh837
    dmh837 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is my personal experience... for me it does act as an appetite suppressant and curbs sugar cravings. I feel more energetic...he first few times anyway. Personally I do not really believe in detox but I will say one of the benefits I read was that it helps clear phlegm and mucus I found it to be true ,the first two days there was quite a bit of spitting and blowing my nose. And I have more,ahem, productive visits to the little girls room but I don't think it related to any detox affect.
    But
    having said that I have not lost any weight but then again I'm taking it for my blood sugar (early stage diabetes.. Morning blood sugar have dropped nearly 20 points) It has been pretty impressive in that respect. I really wish there would be more studies on its usefulness for diabetics but it'll probably never happen ...no money in it! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use it as a toner.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It helps my acid reflux, and last year I was taking ACV just to prove my boss wrong, and even though it did not help with weight loss, I did not get my usual cold I usually get in winter. Bottom line is, it doesn't hurt, and it may help with certain things. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My sister told me about all the benefits. How putting a tsp or tbsp in a glass of water helps cleanse toxins and suppress appetite and read online that this can help you lose 10-15 lbs in a few weeks. What are your opinions and thoughts on this guys?
    id like to know this too...BUMP

No. Any toxins you might have in your body are cleaned by peeing and pooping. In other words, your body takes care of itself.

The only thing that leads to weight loss is eating less than your burn.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i did it for 6 months and it did nothing beneficial for me
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the interwebz...
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great for your hair! Use it diluted to rinse after shampooing.