Seriously considering an indoor cycling bike.

Options
I have recently started spinning class, and I love it. However, with the gym being 8 miles from my house, working full time, and having a 4 year old running around pooping everywhere, it's really hard to get ready, be in the class for an hour, then get back home. The time investment is huge. I would still like to get there once a week for class, but want something for the days where I just can't get out of the house or have the 2 hours to dedicate to it.

I've started shopping, but with prices anywhere from $150 to $1500, it's a little hard to pinpoint one. I do like to do standing sprints, so I know I need a heavier flywheel, but beyond that, I'm stumped on brands and pretty much everything else.

Anyone had any successes or failures purchasing/shopping for one of these things?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you on what to buy - just a suggestion to look for used rather than new. Exercise equipment is the kind of thing people buy in a flurry of enthusiasm and then use as a clothes rack for several years, before realizing they're never going to actually exercise on it and want to get rid of it out of embarrassment!
    That's how I got my barely used treadmill for less than half what a new one would have cost.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I got a good deal on an elliptical off of craigslist a couple years ago. I researched the brand and model I wanted, and found one used on Craigslist for a fraction of the cost. Still works perfectly, although I kinda wish I got a recumbent bike instead for HIIT. I still use it all the time. Next purchase is a squat rack :-)
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a cyclist, but have you looked into getting a bike trainer? My understanding is that it's like a stand for your current bike so you can just get on it indoors when you can't leave the house. I would guess that would be a lot cheaper but I have no idea if it would stand up to sprints, etc.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bicycle? Why not buy a trainer to put your bicycle on. They tend to be less expensive and if you still want to spend $1500, you can spend it on a new bicycle and take it outside when you get tired of going nowhere.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I bought the Sole SB700 - it was right in the middle in terms of price, had great reviews, looked pretty good, etc. I've been happy with it. I use it mainly when I don't have time to get to the gym.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike. It's great. I sit on it and peddle while watching Netflix and movies. I burned 600 calories last night just watching a two hour movie. It didn't even feel like exercise, at least not until the movie was over lol. I dunno about HIIT on a recumbent though. I don't feel like it's the right position for going hard during the intervals. A stardard bike would be better suited for HIIT in my opinion. (You can do it, it's just awkward) The recumbent is great for the lower intensity, longer rides though because there's more bum cushioning. Anyway just some food for thought.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    wisgal77 wrote: »
    I have recently started spinning class, and I love it. However, with the gym being 8 miles from my house, working full time, and having a 4 year old running around pooping everywhere, it's really hard to get ready, be in the class for an hour, then get back home. The time investment is huge. I would still like to get there once a week for class, but want something for the days where I just can't get out of the house or have the 2 hours to dedicate to it.

I've started shopping, but with prices anywhere from $150 to $1500, it's a little hard to pinpoint one. I do like to do standing sprints, so I know I need a heavier flywheel, but beyond that, I'm stumped on brands and pretty much everything else.

Anyone had any successes or failures purchasing/shopping for one of these things?

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007595TKU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im not sure that the computer is completely accurate on burns, but I don't care. It does the job, even with the computer turned off. My youngest will be 4 next week, and I usually exercise while he naps and/or after all my kids go to bed while I watch TV. I really like having it here. It makes things so much easier.
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Scour Craigslist.
    Look at smaller locally owned gyms that may be getting rid of equipment, that's how my friend got hers for 1/3 the price.
    Also, not sure where you're at but military families are always looking to offload stuff prior to moving and I always see ellipticals, treadmills, and spin bikes on community FB pages.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Sorry, can't help you on what to buy - just a suggestion to look for used rather than new. Exercise equipment is the kind of thing people buy in a flurry of enthusiasm and then use as a clothes rack for several years, before realizing they're never going to actually exercise on it and want to get rid of it out of embarrassment!

This is so true. $25-$100 can get you a pretty nice used bike.