Any interest in vegetarian diet?

Options
I have been a "bad" vegetarian for almost a year. Started out vegan, but found myself sneaking in eggs, ice cream. Actually I guess that makes me ovo-lacto vegetarian. Just wondering if I'm alone. I doubt it, but not seeing any veg discussions. I am 59. Would like to get back off the junk food and be healthier by 60.

Replies

• SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian/vegan for about 9 years (with the last couple of years being more pescetarian before I then went full omnivore). Long story on why I went omnivore. Well - short story, but long-winded explanation. Either way - I think I'm ready to try transitioning back to a veggie dietary habit. Possibly something between veggie and vegan even.
  • caticus95
    caticus95 Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was vegetarian/vegan for about 9 years (with the last couple of years being more pescetarian before I then went full omnivore). Long story on why I went omnivore. Well - short story, but long-winded explanation. Either way - I think I'm ready to try transitioning back to a veggie dietary habit. Possibly something between veggie and vegan even.

I've always been interested in the vegan diet, did you feel a lot better and have more energy?
  • misscollywobbles
    misscollywobbles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 7 years! I own a vegan bakery, so I'm probably not the healthiest vegan out there.
  • SelkieGhost
    Options
    caticus95 wrote: »

I've always been interested in the vegan diet, did you feel a lot better and have more energy?

It depended on the day/week/month on energy. I was straight vegan for probably about the last 3 months back when I was doing a full time (6-7 days a week, sunup to about 8-9pm at night) scuba dive assistant instructor gig on Guam. I was able to keep up, be a tank monkey, lug gear, teach, and dive with the students. But - that said, I had some days where I was just dead exhausted if I'd been too lax on dietary monitoring, especially regarding adequate protein and b12 intake. But, I think my relatively very high carb diet worked out very well for that type of activity as I was constantly burning through energy and the carbs kept it readily available.
  • elixile
    elixile Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few groups for Vegetarians/Vegans and Vegans, so we are on MFP!

I've been vegetarian all my life. Oscillated to veganism, but it was during a bad phase in terms of relationship with food (not the cause, I have to say but since getting back to 'normal' dietary intake have resumed being an ovo-lacto vegetarian).

I am still very interested in veganism for a whole host of reasons, predominantly animal welfare concerns. I do find it difficult however because I associate that level of attention needed over food/veganism with my personal experiences of disordered eating.

Plus cheese is a bit of a weak spot for me too :(
  • RainbowLove90
    RainbowLove90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie and have been for 8 years now, over the years I've found myself becoming stricter and almost borderline vegan in some respects. I could see myself going the whole hog (ha ;) ) one day and being fully vegan. I'm always after more veggie/vegan friends on here for support and sharing of tips and advice so feel free to add me if you like :)
  • grammarn
    grammarn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Not terribly sure of myself on here, but feel like interacting with others should be helpful.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, I would think if you are vegetarian you must have some ethical reason to not eat meat products. That is about the only reason necessary. If you don't feel ethically guilty for eating meat products, keep eating them?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for about 2 weeks. I was looking up recipes for vegan cookies and saw that it called for potato starch instead of eggs. At that point I noped right out and just stayed vegetarian. It's been 13 years and counting.
  • grammarn
    grammarn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel much more comfortable, ethically, not eating meat. But I don't expect others to follow my lead unless they are feeling that discomfort.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    grammarn wrote: »
    I feel much more comfortable, ethically, not eating meat. But I don't expect others to follow my lead unless they are feeling that discomfort.

I was only asking cause it would seem pretty easy to me to not eat something if I ethically didn't believe in it. If you are comfortable eating the "junk" food you are currently eating, then just fit it in. Nothing wrong with that.

• SelkieGhost
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    I was vegan for about 2 weeks. I was looking up recipes for vegan cookies and saw that it called for potato starch instead of eggs. At that point I noped right out and just stayed vegetarian. It's been 13 years and counting.

The recipe book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" has fantastic recipes (and eggs aren't replaced by potato starch. Sometimes it calls for arrow root and baking soda and/or baking powder. I just swap out the arrow root for corn starch and they've come out great. I still use the recipes in this book, not just in my vegan phases, but also in veggie and omnivore phases. The sibling recipe book on vegan cupcakes is just as awesome.