When did you start lifting?

Options
I'm about 7.5 weeks in and I haven't really been working out, although I have been walking a lot. I plan on hitting the gym tomorrow, but I'm not sure when I should start lifting. When it comes to lifting I'm kind of a noob, I've never gone higher than 30-40. When do you think I should start lifting? I have almost 38 pounds to my goal weight. Also, I'm a pear shape, so I tend to have a lot of body fat.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Seriously at 19 years old.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been lifting since about age 15, except for a few years when I was very ill and could not exercise. As soon as I was well enough, I was back in the pool and in the gym shortly thereafter.

Many gyms offer a free orientation for weights--take advantage of this! If you need to hire a trainer for one or two sessions to figure out what to do, that is a good investment.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'll guess you mean how far into a weight loss goal?

I didn't start right away. At that point, I had limited time and I thought I needed to use all my free minutes for calorie burning cardio. But once I started to feel more confident in my changes, I started to realize my goal wasn't just the scale. It was fitness. I was probably 4 months in before I started any sort of strength training at all, and I started with just 10 minutes per day of simple dumbbell work. Now 10.5 months in, and 60 lbs lighter, I am almost at a 50/50 mix for minutes spent on cardio and strength.

I don't have regrets looking back. It was good for me to get those extra cardio minutes/extra calories in the beginning in order to transition slower to eating less. I think this slower transition has helped me to adjust to a new lifestyle. Still, I'm glad I didn't wait longer either. I like feeling stronger and healthier and I think I've managed to hold onto a fair proportion of my starting muscle.

So I guess my personal opinion is that you are probably ready to start now. Good luck!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started a lot sooner than I did - didn't start until after I'd lost 120+ lbs and had lost a lot of muscle. Lots of hard work and cursing to get stronger now. (and thank you to the person who was willing to answer questions from a random internet stranger to help me find a personal trainer who understood my issues!)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Last Tuesday.

No - really.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    start lifting asap. I started about 4 months in and I wish I would have started earlier.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Day 1.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a year now. I weighed 169 lbs a year ago and now weigh 195 lbs and have roughly maintained 15% body fat. I'm 36 so pleased with progress so far. I'm by no means disciplined enough with it and there is a huge scope for improvement on my part. Good luck.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I tried it (bought a pair of dumbbells a year ago right at the start of me deciding to lose weight) but I don't enjoy lifting at all, so I don't do it. It's my loss, I guess, but I'm more interested in doing something sustainable. Forcing myself to do something I don't enjoy would be miserable.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    2-3 months ago, but I am limited in what I can do because I only have access to a wide range of free weights and a few machines. So no deadlifts for me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started lifting last May and I really wish I'd started years ago. The differences it has made in how my body looks are significant. I haven't lost much weight but I've lost inches all over. My recommendation is to start today. Ask at the gym if someone can show you the ropes. Start with the machines if you're intimidated by lifting free weights. Lift as heavy as you can for fewer reps, don't let anyone talk you into lifting lighter weights because you're a woman.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I tried it (bought a pair of dumbbells a year ago right at the start of me deciding to lose weight) but I don't enjoy lifting at all, so I don't do it. It's my loss, I guess, but I'm more interested in doing something sustainable. Forcing myself to do something I don't enjoy would be miserable.

True story mate. Do stuff that you enjoy. Within reason, things should not have to be a massive chore.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Summer of 1999.

You should start lifting Day 1.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Start now.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I started at age 17. I started late because of the misguided "it will stunt your growth crap."
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Started at age 11. Seriously started lifting when I first used this app 3 months ago.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I want to start asap, but need to have an idea of some proper equipment to use at home vs going to the gym.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I started out really simply for the first few weeks by doing cardio for 10 - 15 minutes at least twice a day. Then I lost my motivation and stopped doing anything for a few weeks.

When I started again, the first week I went back to the cardio. The second week I added hatha yoga for 20-30 minutes on a daily basis. The third week I added a total body weights workout once a week. In week five I changed the routine and now I do weights two days a week- one upper body, one lower body- and I do abs on a third day. I am also trying to include a vinyasa yoga class, which is the equivalent of a VERY intense bodyweight workout once a week. I am not lifting that heavy yet, although it's heavy for me!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I've lifted during a few different periods in my life. This time I started back in November. Loving it more than ever and don't plan to stop.

As for when you should start, now.

Check out bodybuilding.com and find a beginner program that works for you. Then start picking up heavy things.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I started last May, but I was kind of all over the place. I wish I had started when I was younger and followed an actual program. Seriously though.... Best. Decision. Ever.