Dieting sucks

Options
i have always struggled with weight throughout my life and now that I am in my 20s it is vital for me to get healthy and learn to eat right so that I can continue with these good habits for the remainder of my life.. But let me just vent to you for a moment. Dieting sucks, it is mentally and physically draining and it really puts me on edge! I laugh but this morning I cried while eating a fiber one bar because I would have much rather been eating the doughnuts across the table from me. Diets suck!! But it is time to make myself and my health a priority! It is crucial! And for anyone else out there that struggles with dieting and would much rather give up then keep going, DONT! You are important ! You are worth it and you'll love the results. Fight through the pain of work outs, and fight through the food temptations! It is worth it! If I can do it, so can you! Go go go!!!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I hate dieting, so I cardio. By adding about 300-600 calories per day, I have the wiggle room I need to to have a treat every day, whether that's a second helping of dinner, lunch out with the gals, or fried ice cream on my husband's birthday. Get your deficit however you feel best, and enjoy your life. :)
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hate people saying that they're on a diet.

It should be a lifestyle change that incorporates eating well combined with exercise. There's no need for it to feel like a diet as the above says if you do some exercise you should be able to have a few treats a week without it making a difference. Also finding foods that you find tasty whilst balanced should make it easier and not feel like a chore.

The only time I get down now is if I don't get my exercise in so I can have that treat!
  • mocadet95
    mocadet95 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »

It should be a lifestyle change that incorporates eating well combined with exercise. There's no need for it to feel like a diet as the above says if you do some exercise you should be able to have a few treats a week without it making a difference. Also finding foods that you find tasty whilst balanced should make it easier and not feel like a chore.

The only time I get down now is if I don't get my exercise in so I can have that treat!

The only problem for me is that I am at college from 6am to 8pm almost everyday for nursing school so it is hard to squeeze in much time for exercise and when I do it is 30 mins on the treadmill. I shouldn't call it a diet I agree it is a life style change
  • BillyJeAn12
    Options
    mocadet95 wrote: »

The only problem for me is that I am at college from 6am to 8pm almost everyday for nursing school so it is hard to squeeze in much time for exercise and when I do it is 30 mins on the treadmill. I shouldn't call it a diet I agree it is a life style change

• BillyJeAn12
    Options
    When I was in nursing school I put on a few due to the fact it s hard workout but to help with that I started walking every where stopped using Elevators used stairs. It helped some burn extra calories. We had a few of us who walked on lunch breaks while we ate. Mabey that will help. Also treat your self sometimes so you can have some of that stuff you are missing. It gets better you will stop missing the donuts so much.
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as dieting, look at it as being healthy. Don't deny yourself treats, you will break down and binge. Just eat in moderation and ensure that you are in a calorie deficit by the end of the day. If that means having one doughnut then so be it, then you have a plain salad for lunch and chicken breast for dinner. You can still have treats, just have to working them into your daily intake. You can look at my diary if you like, I have cheat days where I eat what I want (but not a ton of it)
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can certainly sympathise with a long day. Mine starts at 5:20am and doesn't finish until about 7pm-8pm either then there's a 5 month old baby waiting when I get home!

I found that cycling to the train station rather than using my motorbike/car has helped. It only takes 5mins more if there's no traffic. If there's traffic it's either the same or faster! If for whatever reason I can't cycle I'll go for a brisk walk at lunchtime.

Saying that, mine is only 30mins a day but high intensity so it can't be far off what you're doing.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I am, essentially, on a diet. Considering I will have to eat as I am now for the rest of my life unless I want to end up fat again, I am framing it as this is my diet, what I eat, not that I am on a diet implying that I will one day be off it. I am delighted you are taking charge of yourself in your 20s. It is easier to do so when young and you will feel the benefits for years to come.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

tumblr_m2iz42jme81r317bvo1_500.gif

You don't find time to work out. You make time to work out. The "I'm busy thing" is an overused BS excuse. Everyone is busy.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks here saying "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." That, for me, is spot-on. I have weaned myself off of heavy sugars - now things like doughnuts actually don't appeal to me...which is pretty awesome, seeing as I came from being a 290lb teenager who could sit and eat icing with a spoon!

I think that we get used to (and someone "immune" to) heavy amounts of fats, sugars, salts. Sometimes, after holidays and whatnot, I'll have over-done sugar SO MUCH that I crave it all the time. (The more I eat, the more I want it - it's a vicious cycle). What I'll do then is go on a 7-14 day added sugar-free period. [No honey, sugar in tea/coffee, no ketchup - nothing that blatantly or secretly tastes sweet. Sometimes I'll allow myself a strawberry or a couple raisins...but that's it.] Of course, the first 3-4 days are super hard. After about day 7 or 10 or so, I'll actually STOP craving sugar. For just a week of severe restriction, the next months and months are made SO much easier. It's a tough 7 days, but it's got a really, really high pay-off, for me. Having less of this added stuff will do your body a world of good - and over time, it WILL become less desirable.

I don't believe that you can just "cardio" it away, though. First - the calorie guesstimates on MFP are WAY over the top. Second - I don't think bodies work like little machines, all the time. There are fluctuations. I tend to eat back only 20-30% of what I "exercise off" in a day - I think I would gain weight, otherwise.

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    God, who am I kidding. I could sit and eat plain white sugar by the spoonful, back in the day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i have always struggled with weight throughout my life and now that I am in my 20s it is vital for me to get healthy and learn to eat right so that I can continue with these good habits for the remainder of my life.. But let me just vent to you for a moment. Dieting sucks, it is mentally and physically draining and it really puts me on edge! I laugh but this morning I cried while eating a fiber one bar because I would have much rather been eating the doughnuts across the table from me. Diets suck!! But it is time to make myself and my health a priority! It is crucial! And for anyone else out there that struggles with dieting and would much rather give up then keep going, DONT! You are important ! You are worth it and you'll love the results. Fight through the pain of work outs, and fight through the food temptations! It is worth it! If I can do it, so can you! Go go go!!!

Does it suck more than being overweight and unhealthy? Its a bit dull.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You make time for the things you want. If this is truly a life style change and something you truly want then you make it happen! Sorry if that's harsh but it's reality.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

You don't find time to work out. You make time to work out. The "I'm busy thing" is an overused BS excuse. Everyone is busy.

right? I'm a business owner, care for a disabled husband, elderly grandfather, 3 kids, 13 animals, yadda yadda yadda..... we all got sumthin!

and a diet is a poor word, or at least it has a poor 'image' associated with it. I eat what i want. I work out an hour a day. I stay within my calorie limits.

that's all there is to it.
  • mocadet95
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • mocadet95
    Options
    I hate dieting, so I cardio. By adding about 300-600 calories per day, I have the wiggle room I need to to have a treat every day, whether that's a second helping of dinner, lunch out with the gals, or fried ice cream on my husband's birthday. Get your deficit however you feel best, and enjoy your life. :)

Thank you! I will most definitely take your comment with me as I go on through this life style change
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Ha! Well, I feel like the Fiber One bar would be a treat, and would avoid it.

If you feel that strongly about the doughnut, eat it. I love to eat, I love to drink, but I also love being slim, so in order to accomplish all of those goals I need a strategy. For me, that's a fair amount of exercise and watching what I eat 85% of the time. Am I sad when I decide not to have the doughnut? Occasionally. But it's rarely worth the it to me. You have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

• mocadet95
    Options

tumblr_m2iz42jme81r317bvo1_500.gif

I just was venting I wasn't trying to get on everyone's nerves. This app is for motivation and support and to finally make a change. I am busy and I make due with the time I have I didn't say I did not I try my best. Thanks anyways.
  • mocadet95
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    Ha! Well, I feel like the Fiber One bar would be a treat, and would avoid it.

If you feel that strongly about the doughnut, eat it. I love to eat, I love to drink, but I also love being slim, so in order to accomplish all of those goals I need a strategy. For me, that's a fair amount of exercise and watching what I eat 85% of the time. Am I sad when I decide not to have the doughnut? Occasionally. But it's rarely worth the it to me. You have to decide whether it's worth it to you.
    Yes most definitely! It's only my first week at this so its just rough, I'll get through it and get used to it and find ways to make it easier. Just a nice way to vent and hear how others deal with it and how I can better myself and make this change with people to back me up.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    THe secret is to eat a meal that makes you feel Satisfied