Has anybody use Green smoothies to lose weigh?

Options
RuthyLOL
RuthyLOL Posts: 62 Member
I am replacing 2 meals with green smoothies to start and feel great on day 3. Started with 281.2 lbs (my highest ever) and on day 3, weigh 275.3 lbs :) I eat a healthy snack once per day and a "regular" meal with tons of veggies. My back started to give me problems so I have to succeed for my health! I hope to get suggestions and support

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Will this be sustainable forever?

Main thing is to focus on portion control and moderation. Calories in vs. calories out.

If you want a smoothie, go for it. But you won't lose weight on it quicker than just eating whatever else you like in smaller amounts.

• abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I drink green smoothies pretty often, but never for more than one meal in a day. For me, I need more variation to stay motivated long term. Good luck though! They are definitely healthy if you are putting in protein and healthy fats in there.

• RuthyLOL
    Options
    What protein do you use?
  • RuthyLOL
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Main thing is to focus on portion control and moderation. Calories in vs. calories out.

If you want a smoothie, go for it. But you won't lose weight on it quicker than just eating whatever else you like in smaller amounts.

Not forever, I will go down to one per day. But to star a need a kick in the pants sort of speak.
  • SuzySuzerson
    SuzySuzerson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of green smoothies and have seen great results! Most days I'll have a smoothie for lunch or breakfast.

My favorite meal replacement smoothie-
    1 cup (packed) spinach
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1.5 cups fruit (I mostly used frozen berries with the occasional banana.)
    1 tbsp ground flax seeds
    1 tbsp almond butter

Typicality one of these smoothies will be about 250-275 calories and I find that the flax seeds and almond butter make it more filling by adding more fiber and protein. Chia seeds are great too, but I love the nuttiness that comes from flax. If I'm making a smoothie as a snack I'll nix the almond butter and flax seeds and use water instead of almond milk.

I turned to this website when I was first started making green smoothies and found it to be very helpful-
    simplegreensmoothies.com
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope, never had and lost 121 pounds!!! You need to be in deficit to lose weight!!
  • classicalbk
    classicalbk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my smoothies (with added protein powder) but I have to be careful with the recipes; many smoothies have a ton of sugar, which is not good for many of us who are carb sensitive/diabetes candidates.
  • 2bjemm
    2bjemm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    that's a good lost
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit causes weight loss. Personally, I prefer to chew my food. I do now, as I plan to continue on.
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of them in the summertime,Usually just greens, berries, and ice. It's more to get the nutrients than to lose weight. I would rather drink my greens than eat them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Not forever, I will go down to one per day. But to star a need a kick in the pants sort of speak.

Replacing two meals a day with smoothies isn't the way to go about weight loss. Whatever weight you do lose during this time, you will regain when you start eating food again..
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yuk
  • stephxfit
    stephxfit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I supplement green smoothies, but I find that if I have more than 1 per day my hunger starts to build up quickly.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's packing a lot of nutrition into a drink if you do not like to eat veggies. I add spinach to my morning protein/frozen berry shake and try to get a green drink at night with another protein like chicken. As far as a meal replacement? Maybe as part of a meal or maybe in the AM with fruits. To me a green drink with say spinach/kale and various fruit tastes like a fruit drink. I use a vita-mix blender.
  • RuthyLOL
    Options
    Will210 wrote: »
    It's packing a lot of nutrition into a drink if you do not like to eat veggies. I add spinach to my morning protein/frozen berry shake and try to get a green drink at night with another protein like chicken. As far as a meal replacement? Maybe as part of a meal or maybe in the AM with fruits. To me a green drink with say spinach/kale and various fruit tastes like a fruit drink. I use a vita-mix blender.

I am trying to keep the fruits to a minimum. I made one tonigh with broccoli, avocado (half for 4 people), kale and one green apple. It was not bad and filled me up. Even my 9 year old drank a glass without complaining :smile: I have a vegetarian friend who is in shape and drinks one every morning instead of breakfast. Lots of nutrients!
  • tripamy
    tripamy Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use 1 cup almond milk, a banana, 1 tbsp flax seeds, 1/2 tbsp wheat germ, 1 tbsp steel cut oatmeal, 1 & 1/2 cups of spinach, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1/2 cup strawberries. It's around 325 calories. I sip it through the morning for breakfast. I like the chewiness of the oatmeal and flax seeds, and I find they make it more filling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a green smoothie MANY mornings. It's a great way to get extra plants in your diet. it can be a great way to get extra fiber. It can be a way to control the calories you eat. But nothing magical in them.

My favorite:
    1-2cups kale/spinach (frozen)
    3TBs hemp seeds/hearts (good protein/fat)
    1TBs flax seeds
    goji berries, blue berries, raspberries or some other berry
    a hunk of ginger
    a dash of turmeric
    1 cup of soy milk (or milk, or some yogurt etc)
    water
    sometimes 1/2 a very ripe banana
  • RuthyLOL
    Options
    tripamy wrote: »
    I use 1 cup almond milk, a banana, 1 tbsp flax seeds, 1/2 tbsp wheat germ, 1 tbsp steel cut oatmeal, 1 & 1/2 cups of spinach, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1/2 cup strawberries. It's around 325 calories. I sip it through the morning for breakfast. I like the chewiness of the oatmeal and flax seeds, and I find they make it more filling.

This sounds great! Thanks for the tip. I have not tried oatmeal or peanut butter in them. There is always a first time...
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love my green smoothies! I've been replacing just one meal a day and I add some protein powder to help keep me full longer. I hate to eat veggies. I figure it's really no different than eating a salad for lunch.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I can see doing it sometimes, but to do it every single day to replace two meals? Eventually you are going to get bored.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!