Terry's 12 Week Bulk

Options
Last year I did a 6 week bulk and saw great gains. Then, I got a new job, moved to a new city, re-entered grad school (and completed it finally) and took another certificate program. Oh, I got lazy too.. so nearly all of my gains from last year disappeared. But, I'm back at it finally and eager to move forward again. This is the beginning of Week 2 for me. Since I'm very much a numbers guy, I keep pretty detailed records of my results. I'll use this post to keep track of those results both for myself and anyone else that is interested. I'm following a program by Jim Stoppani - Shortcut to Size.

Week 1

2ar6gft9eo9p.jpg

I have my macro goals set at 3,500, the same as last year, though that may be too high as I'm a bit older and not as physically active as I was last year. This week, I only averaged 2,910 calories a day and I saw a 3.4lb gain from baseline, but some of that may be attributed to my creatine loading phase. I will monitor for another week or two before deciding. At any rate, my protein intake needs to increase to get to the 200g+ that I'm wanting.

nm1asmyqpue2.jpg

Week 1 saw some gains in most areas, though these numbers will be more meaningful after a few weeks of tracking to help smooth out any differences in measuring. All measurements are unflexed and my dear wife has been faithfully doing them for a few years now so hopefully the variances are small. Of note is the lower body fat, from 10.5 to 9.6%. I certainly don't feel less fat, but I did gain 3.5lbs in the first week, likely water weight from the creatine. That would cause the BF% to drop (I use an Omron body fat analyzer to test)

j95q3b2ub311.jpg

In addition to losing most of the size I gained last year, I also lost most of the strength. In fact, my deadlift 1RM dropped by 80lbs! This weeks results shows a mixed bag. I saw increases on bench press, and Dumbell Row, but decreases in pretty much everything else. Since I wasn't able to get in the gym last week, I ended up doing 2 workouts both on Saturday and Sunday. For that reason, the cumulative fatigue is likely the reason for the lower lifts on on Squat, Deadlift, and triceps, all of which were on Sunday.

Plan for this week.. rest and recover from my weekend workouts. I'll hit the gym again on Wednesday and try to break my current records in all lifts this week while increasing my protein intake and overall calorie intake. Happy lifting!

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Happy lifting to you!
    Try not to injure yourself, ease back in....you'll soon be back!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks Springfield. Good to see you are still around btw. You are a staple in the MFP community :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    Thanks Springfield. Good to see you are still around btw. You are a staple in the MFP community :)

Wow! Thank you!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, and how things differ this time for you.

• terizius
    Options
    Here's the update from week 2. Its a day late because I sacrificed a lift day for cuddles on the couch with the wife :)

hmyjg9erbjlj.jpg

My overall calories dropped by about 300 this week, though that is mostly through a reduction in the amount of fat that I ate. Protein and Carbs both increased. Weight gain was only 0.2 lbs however, so I will likely try to increase calories further - especially since my BF% is still dropping.

6pjr72rvgvwf.jpg

Measurements show mixed results. Chest, thighs, neck, calves and biceps all showed modest gains while I got smaller in my shoulders, hips and waist. I'm actually rather happy with that except for the shoulders. According to my Omron Body Fat analyzer, I dropped 0.5% BF this week, which is reflected in the measurements also (waist and hips).

qb7ft1by5uun.jpg

I showed improvements in all lifts over last week except for bicep curls where I dropped 1 lb. I did my baseline 1RM calcs while mostly rested, with the emphasis on getting the highest number possible. My weekly lift 1RM is in the course of my normal workout. This means that I am already pre-fatigued for some of those exercises. Next time, I will get my baselines the same as I plan to calculate my weekly. Overall, I'm not disappointed though.

Next week, I need to focus on eating more calories. Also, I need to ensure my rest days are sufficient. For week 1, I did all four workouts over a 2 day weekend. This past week, I did 3 workouts in a row, 1 rest day, then final workout. I need to get that rest day in the middle so that I'm not over-training or injuring myself. I have a few tender areas (mainly right shoulder) from this past week. Still looking forward to more gains though!
  • allkindsofgainsbro
    allkindsofgainsbro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really interesting to see the graphs, keep this coming!
    Im on 3.5k cals/day too
  • terizius
    Options
    Glad you like them. Do you find it difficult to eat that much? I am likely going to have to add another weight gainer shake to get mine up until I can stomach that amount of food..
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Dude I never cease to be amazed by your graphs and your precision in measurements! How much are you eating right now?
  • terizius
    Options
    Last week I only averaged 2880. I need to step it up. I still have over 1500 to go today!
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    Lol that is close to what I am eating this week now (2873), trying to see if this works out better for me! and damn that is a lot!
  • terizius
    Options
    Yes, it is a lot. I need to get my protein up but that's the most filling macro of all! I will probably have to start doing protein weight gainers in the evening..
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    TEACH ME HOW TO GRAPH THIS GORGEOUS DATA, HAVE A TEMPLATE YOU WOULDN'T MIND SHARING?

2ar6gft9eo9p.jpg

nm1asmyqpue2.jpg

j95q3b2ub311.jpg

• terizius
    Options
    Sure, just send me a message with your email and I'll send it over. I'm glad someone else appreciates numbers and data :)
  • terizius
    Options
    Week 3 Update: I felt pretty good and strong this week. My routine has micro-periodizations - basically, the rep range decreases each week for 4 weeks before starting over again. I have always liked the lower rep ranges and this week I was working in the 6-8 rep range.

This week, I posted my highest weight and body fat % ever. I'm still struggling to be OK with that. The weight is good, but I'm not a fan of this increased BF. But, I know its all part of the game.

6glqc00e65bt.jpg
    I was able to increase calories throughout the week. I'm still only getting 178g protein though, which as about 40g lower than my goal (my aim is 1.5g/lb) I'll start on the boiled eggs again, probably about 5-6 a day, in addition to my weight gainer shakes.

jxqryjn97tkh.jpg
    Here's the story of where that weight went. I saw good gains in my shoulders - in fact, my shirts are beginning to get a bit tight (my pants too, but lets not talk about that). I also posted good gains in my chest with smaller gains pretty much everywhere else.

exzu79sjm7pq.jpg
    Of course, this is my favorite spreadsheet :) While my current goal is to get bigger, getting stronger is a continuous goal of mine. I made it up to 295 on my deadlift. This is still 70lbs lower than my max last year, but a 20lb increase in the past week shows that I'm definitely moving in the right direction. My bench press fell rather dramatically. In the past, I have always "bounced" the weight off my chest when doing bench. Two weeks, ago I bounced for the last time (my sternum is still sore). Anyway, I did touch and press instead of bouncing. Needless to say, I didn't get as many reps.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my progress this week. I will keep an eye on weight gain next week, since a 2.8 lbs increase is really high. But, I won't make any changes yet based off of one data point. If next week shows a similar gain, I will reduce calories slightly. I also need to work on some shoulder mobility. I think its hindering me in my chest exercises. Looking forward to the 3-5 rep range next week! Happy Lifting.

• nerdygymrat9
    Options
    Dude your charts are amazing! Mad jealous lol because you get another visual of your progress! Great job!
  • terizius
    Options
    Week 4 Update: I worked out in the 3-5 rep range this week. I really like the lower reps/higher weights but it is important to remember good form. Calories continued to increase, but so did my weight and body fat - both expected but its increasing too fast! Need to back off some and pay more attention to my macros going forward.

gp27mjbuo3bv.jpg
    I hit 3280 average daily calories for the week from my goal of 3500. Unfortunately, I'm now realizing that 3500 calories (my goal for last year) doesn't work this year. Last year I was much more active than I currently am, plus I was a year younger. Now that I've had two weeks of "too much" weight gain, I will taper back down to about 3000 calories a day. I will also pay much more attention to my Macros from here on out, making sure I get enough protein. I think my high protein intake was part of the reason I had such a lean bulk last year. I also changed my macro ratios to 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. So, I will aim for 375g carbs, 225g protein and 67g fat per day.

emtlclwzxppo.jpg
    Measurements were nothing special this week. Waist, calves and arms were the only increases with my shoulders and hips showing a decrease. Everything else was the same as last week. Hopefully, my nutrition changes will put me back in the right direction.

14q2tw4ifejk.jpg
    I had mixed progress on my lifts this week. I'm very happy to be back above 300lbs on my deadlift. Squat was a few lbs lighter than last week. No good reason, I just had a bad day on squats this week. I practiced my ATG squats last night. I've always been worried about going so low because of my bum knee. They felt pretty good and I think I will try to go that route from here on out. However, the lower squats are likely to be reflected in lower squat numbers until I get used to the new technique. Bench press is creeping back up, with good form this time, after I hurt my chest by bouncing it a few weeks ago. Still 11lbs down from this bulks 1RM, but its moving in the right direction. Good gains on Dumbell Row, 90 -> 96. I think that would be even higher if I remember to bring my lifting straps. those 80lb dumbbells are tough to hold in one hand and my grip gives out slightly before my back does at that weight.

Overall, it was a mixed week. I'm actually relieved that I get to drop the calories down since I don't enjoy the constantly full feeling that comes with so much food. I will am for a max of 1.5lbs per week weight gain from here on out, and even that is pretty aggressive gains. I don't care for the lower numbers on squat and bench press, but with the improvement in form, its a worthy trade-off. I'm back to 12-15 reps this week, hopefully I can translate those low rep PRs into high rep PRs. Happy Lifting!
  • terizius
    Options
    1 Month Review: Here's a breakdown of my results in the first month of my lift, with a pic to show where I'm currently at.

Body Measurements:
    Weight: 147.4 -> 157.4 = +10lbs
    Body Fat: 10.5 -> 11.2 = +0.7%
    Shoulders: 43 -> 44.75 = +1.75"
    Chest: 38.25 -> 39.25 = +1"
    Hips: 36.75 -> 37.1 = +0.35"
    Waist: 32.5 -> 33 = 0.5"
    Thighs: 20.75 -> 21.75 = +1"
    Neck: 15.75 -> 16 = +0.25"
    Calves: 13.85 -> 14 = +0.15"
    Biceps: 11 -> 12.5 = +1.5"
    Forearms: 10.5 -> 11 = +0.5"

Lift Stats:
    Deadlift: 293 -> 305 = +12lbs
    Squat: 228 -> 247 = +19lbs
    Bench: 161 -> 160 = -1lb
    DB Row: 86 -> 96 = +10lbs
    Triceps: 84 -> 102 = +18lbs
    Biceps: 84 -> 92 = +8lbs
    Shoulders: 53 -> 62 = +9lbs

Overall, not bad for a months work but I still have a ways to go.
    9fjx2pdb15co.jpg
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say - very interesting thread... thanks for sharing your data. I'm here to lose some weight and get fit, but I'll be checking in on your progress. I like your meticulous, methodical approach. Take care.
  • terizius
    Options
    @brentopia - Thanks Brent. I believe the tracking method works both weights: Gaining or Losing weight. I trained a girl about a year and a half ago. If I hadn't done measurements and bodyfat readings with her, I think she would have had a meltdown on those weeks she saw the scale creep up instead of down! Good luck to you and keep us all posted.
  • terizius
    Options
    Week 5 Update: What a switch! Last week I was working out in the 3-5 rep range. This week, I'm back up to the 12-15. Definitely see more of a pump in that range, and more DOMS. I still really prefer the 3-5 range, but its good to switch things around. Not a ton of movement this week in measurements or lifts (with a few exceptions). Not surprising as I rarely seem to hit new PR's after the low reps to high reps switch.

6mglixg8yzi8.jpg
    In response to my excessive weight gain the first 4 weeks (2.5lbs a week), I lowered my calorie intake in week 5. I may have lowered just a bit too much (300 calories), since I didn't gain at all this week. Interestingly, my weight stayed the same, but my Body Fat % did decrease. I will increase by 100-150 this week and see what that does. Also of note, carbs took the biggest cut this week, which could be the reason some of my lifts weren't all that great, though other factors were in play as well.

8dlwsety2iq0.jpg
    Measurements were mostly flat this week, with gains only in chest, hips (butt) and calves. Chest has been progressing quite nicely - my wife even commented earlier this week that I "have creases under my boobs"! Note - I've looked extensively and see no evidence of said creases

rs7g7t5c3dhv.jpg
    Lifts were also mostly flat this week with two notable exceptions - Bench Press and Squat.
    Lets start with the "negative". Last week, after much research and advice, I decided to go to full ATG squats. I had been stopping at parallel due to the belief that it would be better for my bum knee. Besides all cracking and popping, there was no noticeable difference in pain or comfort with ATG squats in my knees. My lower back did feel very, very tight after them however. I purchased some lifting shoes which will serve to raise my heels and provide a much more stable platform. Hopefully, that, and getting used to the new technique, will make those squats feel much better this week.
    Bench press was great! A few weeks ago, I switched to more controlled bench press instead of bouncing the weight. After three weeks with the new technique, I have made it back to and surpassed my "bouncing" PR.

This week is all about watching calories and finding that nice balance between weight gain and too much weight gain. Also, I want to try to squeeze in an extra squat day this week to continue working on the new technique and getting used to the shoes (which will hopefully be in by Wednesday Leg Day.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    Dude these graphs are awesome lol! They provide great visuals for your progress! Wish I could do these! And I see some progress in the graphs this week so great job bro!