Feeling sick/experiencing headaches during my diet

I recently started a new diet last week. I have only been dieting for about a week and haven't seen any significant decreases in my weight yet. I currently weigh 158, but would like to weigh 138 by summer. I have been following a 1200 calorie diet successfully.

Unfortunately, I have been having constant headaches and nausea since the diet began. I totally didn't expect this. I used to eat out/eat junk every meal of the day and expected to feel healthier with more energy now that I'm eating clean. I have been eating less meat, but still eating foods that are high in protein and drinking lots of milk. I suspect that I'm going through some type of sugar or caffeine or fried food withdrawal, but don't want to break my diet by eating junk to feel normal again.

Any advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In another thread you advocated using two "fat burners" to lose weight. Are you using those yourself, by any chance? It could an ingredient in one of those.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    I'm guessing fake profile to attempt to cause controversy.

However, in case I'm wrong, it's probably because you are eating 1200 calories. Up your calories by a good few hundred or else you will continue to feel like this.

If you refuse to up your calories then enjoy feeling awful for the rest of your "diet."
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    You might just not be eating enough. I get headache-y and nauseated when I'm really hungry (low blood sugar).
  • No, I am not currently taking anything. My boyfriend used them before and lost weight, but I haven't gotten a hold of them yet.
  • HeatherLynn474
    HeatherLynn474 Posts: 1 Member
    This is very normal for someone who is starting a new diet of healthy food. It is a result of all the toxins leaving your system, and you should start to feel really good in about a week or so. Keep it up and don't get discouraged. It's only temporary. Good luck!
  • jamesjamieson11
    jamesjamieson11 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    It could be water. You say you're drinking a lot of milk, but what about just straight up water? You should be drinking a lot of it; at least half an ounce for every pound you weigh. Most headaches are caused by dehydration.
  • janejellyroll
    This is very normal for someone who is starting a new diet of healthy food. It is a result of all the toxins leaving your system, and you should start to feel really good in about a week or so. Keep it up and don't get discouraged. It's only temporary. Good luck!

What toxins are you referring to?
  • janejellyroll
    valkoffe41 wrote: »
    No, I am not currently taking anything. My boyfriend used them before and lost weight, but I haven't gotten a hold of them yet.

I would be careful about dumping a bunch of stimulants and unknown ingredients (and tests have shown that these products sometimes do have ingredients that aren't listed on the label, some of which are capable of causing harm) into your body when you already don't feel well.

Also, they don't really work. If your boyfriend lost weight, it was due to a calorie deficit.
  • I agree with the water comment. I notice that my side effects of withdraws from the "crappy" food are much less noticeable when I am drinking at least half my body weight in water. Then after a week or so, I begin to feel much more energy. Hang in there!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    "Clean" eating is largely psychological. There is no difference in the nutritional uptake of fresh/frozen/processed food. Clean food may taste better to you, which is a clear benefit.

Has your exercise regimen been drastically altered as well? The body does not like dramatic changes and will react accordingly. High protein foods/milk are more difficult to digest, so you may want to borrow from a bland diet plan and see if that helps. Small changes over time produce dramatic results.
  • katinutt101
    katinutt101 Posts: 6 Member
    Most people don't do well on 1200 calories... it's usually too little. Google a tdee calculator and put your height, weight, age, and activity level into it.. you should subtract about 15% from your tdee (not bmr! I did that for a while by accident.. haha). I'm 5'3, 150, and want to lose about 20 pounds.. even I don't eat 1200 per day (I, for example, burn about 1700 in a day and eat roughly 1400 depending on how I'm feeling/exercise level). When I tried to eat 1200, I felt out of it. Often if I just ate 100-200 more calories (ex. an ounce of cheese) I felt MUCH better. It was pretty weird.

If you are actually supposed to eat just 1200 calories (ex. you got it from your tdee or its doctor recommended) either up your calories or increase the volume of your food (low amt. of junk as you've been doing). Look on reddit's "1200isplenty" sub for ideas if you need them... I find they have good ones!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Advice

Ditch to time frame. You were "assigned" 1200 because that's as low as MFP will go. You are either a petite senior lady, or your weekly goal was set a little too high.

Moderate goals.....
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Keep in mind that the number MFP gave you is before exercise. So, if you want to eat more calories...move more.

I didn't cut anything out of my diet. Been there, done that. This time (yes, I'm a repeater) I will only make lifestyle changes. So, I still eat chocolate (in small portions) I still drink caffeine (you would have to pry my iced tea from my cold dead...well you know).

My goal is to eat better....not to eat perfectly. I'm not perfect, I don't need to be perfect to lose weight. Plenty of thin people out there that eat "junk" from time to time.

Change your weekly goal to something that is sustainable. Give yourself a treat now and then. Real life (after dieting) will be like that. Someone will bring a cake into work....are you going to say no...forever?

This thread is really good.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Have you suddenly cut out caffiene like soda or coffee? Could be caffeine withdrawal.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    My first inclination would be that you are suffering from something called the Ketosis Flu . This is often most severe with people who go on low-carb diets. With this 'flu' your thoughts will be feel foggy and you'll experience headaches, fatigue, nausea, and a few other symptoms. This flu is essentially the transition period from when you're body burns ketones rather than glucose. You'll also have a weird smell to breathe which is a great indicator that your going through Ketosis.

Outside of being on a lower-carb diet it could be many things that are contributing to your feeling this way. Headaches are often brought on by dehydration. You could also be low on electrolytes. Perhaps you're not consuming enough calories for your body. Any changes in medication or even doing a cleanse.

I would wait it out a full week and see if it doesn't pass before getting too worried. Definitely try drinking more water though.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    """post removed after seeing the low calorie intake of the OP, """""

Better start eating OP
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I will sometimes get that nauseated/headachy feeling. It generally means I need to eat more!

I am also trying to lose around 20 pounds, but I don't have a set time frame. I'm short (under 5'1") and nearing 40, but I still am at just under 1600 calories a day before exercise. There is no need for you to be limiting yourself to 1200 calories, especially if it is making you feel ill. In the long run, it won't matter whether you lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks or in 6 months, but it will matter if you do it in a way that makes you ill, leaves long-lasting health effects, or is not sustainable, so as soon as the weight is off, you stop being so strict, and it comes back on (and the bad news there is that you lose muscle and fat but as it comes back it's less muscle and more fat that you lost, generally).

Go back to your settings and change your weekly goal to lose .5 pounds a week. Make sure you have the right activity level. Eat back your exercise calories and all of the calories MFP suggests. Lose weight and feel great at the same time. :wink:
  • katinutt101
    katinutt101 Posts: 6 Member
    valkoffe41 wrote: »
    No, I am not currently taking anything. My boyfriend used them before and lost weight, but I haven't gotten a hold of them yet.

I would be careful about dumping a bunch of stimulants and unknown ingredients (and tests have shown that these products sometimes do have ingredients that aren't listed on the label, some of which are capable of causing harm) into your body when you already don't feel well.

Also, they don't really work. If your boyfriend lost weight, it was due to a calorie deficit.

Agreed. I'm studying to be a Food Scientist and have taken nutrition classes.. I'd be a little wary of supplements. If you still really want to use them, make sure you research the effects of whatever you choose to put in your body (dosage, upper intake limit, etc.), and even then be careful. Vitamins and supplements are not tested by the FDA (may not be pure) and the amount of filler in them can vary from one pill to another..
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    OK, I just looked at OPs diary. You aren't even eating the 1200 calories that MFP assigned you ... most days are under 1000! So the answer is going to be, eat more! What you're feeling is most likely due to low nutrients, especially macronutrients (low blood sugar for example).

Seriously, please eat!
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    kristydi wrote: »
    Have you suddenly cut out caffiene like st'yoda or coffee? Could be caffeine withdrawal.
    Most likely caffeine is the problem... drink so black coffee or tea... cut back slowly if at all... i enjoy black coffee & or tea everyday and have lost over 60lbs now... good luck to you
  • caty2358
    caty2358 Posts: 12
    Look on reddit's "1200isplenty" sub for ideas if you need them... I find they have good ones!
    Thank you for the reddit sub suggestion!