How do you get back on the wagon?

Options
Ahh... I was doing really well and I had lost 12lbs (I know that's nothing compared to some of you guys!! :smile: Over the last few weeks my husband and I went away on holiday with two friends and since then I have found it difficult to get back into the swing of things. I put on 3lbs which I am gutted about...

My husband and I were doing this together but he too has fell off the wagon and I have learnt there is no point nagging him, he will start again when he is ready but I AM ready lol

So today is the first day at trying to get back on it.... does anyone else find if you have a few days/week off (for whatever reason) it is a slippery slope? I just hope I do well now this week.... I really want a stone off (and more!! :smile: )

Replies

• mildollarsmile
    mildollarsmile Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yes, this happens to everyone. I experienced it with my move and have struggled getting back on a schedule. I am now trying to log every day and make sure I do some kind of exercise. I have been drinking all my water and staying well trying to stay within my ranges. The key is small steps, last week for me was staying logging whatever I put in my mouth, realizing...wow that has that many calories. This week I have picked up my walking again, 3 times is my goal. Then next week will do my full 5 days. I try and log my food every time I eat. I need 100 pounds off or even more. I have been in a rut for too long and have to get something done!!. We got this!! Keep on Keeping on!!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror naked-that should do it.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Look in the mirror naked-that should do it.
    Haha yes you are most probably right there, I try not to if I can help it!
    yes, this happens to everyone. I experienced it with my move and have struggled getting back on a schedule. I am now trying to log every day and make sure I do some kind of exercise. I have been drinking all my water and staying well trying to stay within my ranges. The key is small steps, last week for me was staying logging whatever I put in my mouth, realizing...wow that has that many calories. This week I have picked up my walking again, 3 times is my goal. Then next week will do my full 5 days. I try and log my food every time I eat. I need 100 pounds off or even more. I have been in a rut for too long and have to get something done!!. We got this!! Keep on Keeping on!!!
    Ahh yeah today I went out walking. I know a lot of people on here go to the gym etc but that's just not me lol I hope if I go walking regularly then hopefully I can fasten the pace and turn it into a run. :smile: I get a lot of exercise in my job anyway but sadly counter that by the amount of crap I used to eat in my breaks.

Thanks for your replies. :smiley:

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I just hope I do well now this week

You don't need hope. You have everything within your power to DO well. You just need to decide to DO it.

Everyone falls. EVERYONE. There isn't a single person on this site who has been perfect in every way. Just keep getting back on.

Be a weeble.

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.

(or at least, when they do, they bounce right back up).

You can do it.
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, even just a weekend off can turn into a big ordeal for me! Haha Honestly you just have to get back on. Say oops I went a little over board but it was pleasant and I'm back to kick butt again. :) It will be a little harder without your husband (I am doing infinitely better now that my boyfriend is also trying to lose weight) but I'm sure you can do it all on your own, which will encourage him to get back into it faster. You've already lost a lot of weight, no reason in letting it all go to waste!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I just hope I do well now this week

Be a weeble.

You can do it.

This is great

From now on I am a weeble
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Be a weeble.

This made me smile. :)

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the slip. Log it. Move on. Don't let one bad meal turn into a bad day, then a bad week, then a bad month that all of a sudden turns into, "we'll start again on the first of the month (which happens to be several months down the road)."
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I just kept relentlessly jumping towards the wagon. I landed face first in the mud a lot. Seemed like the more I tried to even catch the wagon, the faster it got. So I just catapulted myself instead (i.e. researched and instituted). Now I'm on it, but I prefer to let my feet dangle off the back so I can feel the breeze, too. It's a more comfortable spot and since I'm seated it'll be harder to lose my balance and topple off. :p
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Just resolve to start afresh and do it!

I'm having to lose weight after a pregnancy. I logged all pregnancy (until i went overdue and was so fed up) and exercised until 38 weeks, but then my baby was 11 days overdue, and I waited until she was 3 weeks to start logging and 6 weeks to start exercising, so I did have a bit of a break.

I was able to get back on it, and that's with sleepless nights and looking after 3 young kids. I want it enough, so I do it!

Since then I've had the odd break, like when I was ill, and I had my birthday off logging for example. A few days off is no big deal, so long as it doesn't extend to forever off!
  • katinutt101
    katinutt101 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I look at pictures/music videos/watch tv shows or whatever of people who are either really fit or really fat and think "my god, self, stop being so disgusting. You know you want to lose weight, just go drink some tea and lay off on the snacks or something" haha

I also make plans with friends to do something we like ex. biking one of the trails with a picnic lunch or go roller skating or hiking. It's free!

Oh, and I try to have a few days logged ahead of time with some wiggle room for snacking and whatnot.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    Hehehe from now on I will call myself a weeble :smiley: Thanks all... I'm already feeling more positive!

I think another problem of mine is not varying my diet when I'm calorie counting, I suppose I get fed up of the same foods and I'm not very creative in the kitchen lol But, that is my own fault lol
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The holidays did me in. Gained back 15lb. Still working on 5 of them but having a little bit of trouble staying with it.

Most people slip up some on the way to goal weight. You lost 12lb before (Good Job!)
    You can get those 3lb back off en then some!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Elaine1345 wrote: »
    Hehehe from now on I will call myself a weeble :smiley: Thanks all... I'm already feeling more positive!

I think another problem of mine is not varying my diet when I'm calorie counting, I suppose I get fed up of the same foods and I'm not very creative in the kitchen lol But, that is my own fault lol

I have to admit I tend to stick to the same things a lot, although recently I decided to google some new recipes. Well, lighter versions of things, and I made a 'skinny' moussaka and then adapted the recipe for lasagne. Luckily my kids ate them :)
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat Elaine, my husband and I both fell off over the holidays (gained 7 lbs) and can't seem to get back on, I have lost four of the lbs though. He has pretty much quit, and I do great during the week and terrible on the weekends. I know I can do it, but for some reason don't try hard enough. I do exercise 6 days a week, so it's staying a little under control. Hoping this summer brings much more activity and weight loss
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I never fall off the wagon because I'm never on it to start with.. I'm just strolling along on the sidewalk stopping when I feel like it, backtracking when I feel like it, walking when I feel like it and running when I feel like it..

It takes some practice to get used to the mindset, but don't think of your diet as an on and off thing, rather think of it as a continuous path that happens at different speeds. It helps a lot if you don't feel like you are "starting over" or being consumed by guilt because you "failed to stay on track".

My weight loss goes from fast to slow to a halt to gain depending on the situation, but most importantly it's all planned. Example: Last Christmas I planned to gain up to 2 kilos because I knew I would have a month full of food events (culturally, we tend to have family gatherings 1-2 times a week in addition to Christmas Eve and New Year). I ate normally without tracking while making sure to eat lighter on non-event days but kept weighing myself. I ate all I wanted during events. As soon as I hit my planned gain I started tracking again. My plan was to maintain until events are done. I only allowed myself to eat up to maintenance on event days, and if I went over, I made sure to have a light day afterwards.

Because it was all planned, I did not feel bad when I stepped on the scale and was 2 kg heavier, and because it was all planned getting back to maintenance, and eventually to losing was just part of my plan's flow. It did not feel like starting over.

I sometimes maintain for months at a time when I have a big project and would be less active. The trick is to take more steps forward than you do backward and you will eventually get there. No need to waste energy on guilt or stressing.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    I guess it's all down to staying in control and knowing what you're putting in your mouth and being honest with yourself too. Last year when I went away on our main holiday for 2 weeks I put on 14lbs but luckily it came off within 3 weeks, think I lost 7lbs in the first week. I think I will just take it a day at a time and make sure I log, log, log!! :D Thanks all for your replies... I appreciate it. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing the right thing by coming here and posting and talking about it - motivation comes from focusing your energy in the direction you want to go.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting back into things after a slip so I started a training program on Runkeeper ( one of the free ones). I get phone reminders to get out there and do.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I was off track for about 18 months. A work project took my life completely over. But I'm back; it's been about a month now. I am so thrilled to have control back.

Get back on that horse!