The cost of NOT logging food/exercise (AKA newbies...do what I say not as I did..)

Options
2»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The thing is that our bodies are probably primed to put on weight, so if you aren't maintaining focus then you will probably join the 95% who regain. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to log forever, but it certainly helps with focus. Keeping track of weight over time may be enough for some people. The real red flag is when you stop paying attention and don't WANT to weigh or log.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I stopped logging last fall for a few months I somehow gained almost 10lbs even though I'd been exercising almost daily. It seems like I did fine the first few weeks off MFP but then slacked afterward.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Still logging/paying attention, still losing....11.3 pounds until I'm back to where I was before I left
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I joined MFP October 2013 at a weight of 264 pounds.

Exactly -- I'm in maintenance but still log & will likely never stop being aware of the calories I am consuming. I know what will happen if I start down that slippery slope!

Congrats on your loss & logging.

73641431.png
    Wow..that is an amazing drop. You are an inspiration...
  • GBrady43068
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you meant:

For me
    NOT logging= becoming fat
    logging=losing/becoming more fit

Lots of people lose weight without logging food.

Actually I'll amend it to "For many..."

Some probably don't need it...those that know that they need to stop after 1 slice of pizza/pie/etc and that mentally keep themselves within the target calorie zone...but I tend to think most of us here didn't have that or we wouldn't have NEEDED to lose the weight.

Some of us have probably since developed it since coming on MFP and diligently tracking/learning portion sizes/etc.

Some of us (*raising hand*) are still poor at it and need the logging to stay straight.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    For me the logging helps me be more circumspect in my eating after I've gone over, and that helps balance things out...

I encourage diet breaks all the time on these boards. They are a great pressure reliever & mood enhancer. But you've got to take them under these terms:
    First, weigh every day...
    Second, log every day...
    And Third, move every day...

Otherwise yes, most of us are back on a fast moving train to fat city!