Tips for a New Jogger?

Options
Hello, everybody. Recently my daughter signed up for Girls on the Run and asked me to be her running buddy for a 5K run that will be held on May 17. I agreed, figuring it would give me extra motivation to get in shape. I've been exercising at home and walking, but recently started trying to jog. Today was day #2. I walked/jogged for 3.2 miles (mostly walking with a little bit of jogging). I've never jogged in my life, not even when I was young and skinny. Most of what I've read says if you can't carry on a conversation while exercising that you're working too hard. Today I was gasping for air with every jogging session. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it's going to be until I get into better shape? Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My tip for joggers; Stop jogging. It's boring as hell.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Best advice I can give you is to get yourself on the c25k program (couch to 5k) - it's a great program that takes you through 8-9 weeks of walking/running intervals, slowly building you up to being able to run for 30 minutes straight, or about a 5k distance.

I used an app on my phone - c25kFREE by ZenLabs - worked great. It's a three day per week program and takes about 30 minutes each session. It starts you with a 5 minute warm up walk, takes you through the walking/running intervals, telling you when to start each, and then finish with another 5 minute walk.

Edited to add: with the c25k program, go as slowly as you need to in order to complete each day's session - slow running is still running, and speed will come later! You want to build up endurance first.

Worked great for me and I went from an absolute non-runner to being able to finish the program and run a 5k, all at the age of 43. :drinker: The beauty of the program is it keeps you on track, and helps prevent injuries that often occur when we try to do too much too quickly.

Only other tips I can offer - run outside as much as possible, get good shoes and socks, wicking fabrics, and have fun with it!
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for 18 years. When you are starting to run, it's very strenuous, and that's to be expected. The main thing is to be consistent. With time, it will become easier. You just have to be patient and keep at it. If you stick with it long enough, you may find you love it just as I did.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I can't stop, I have to be ready for the 5K. I already warned my daughter that she'd going to have to go slow for me, but she doesn't care. She wants me to be her running buddy.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    buy good joggers
  • Cocomo2015
    Cocomo2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you heard of the Galloway run/walk method? Basically you start by running 1 min and walk 2 at least three times the first week. Week number two run for two and walk one. Week number three run three and walk one. Keep building each week until you're running for 10 followed by a one minute walk and hold at that ratio. It's important to give your joints and muscles time to get used to running so you don't have an injury. Also make sure you get in rest days by not running two days in a row! Hope this helps. :)
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Start with shoe's
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend being consistent with it. I would try for three days/week minimum and probably 5 times at the most.

I tried c25k and it was great at first. Around week 4 I just "couldn't" finish a session. Seeing the countdowns was psyching me out. It helped a lot with my pacing and other things though.

You should listen to your body and know when to stop, but you can push yourself further than you think. your mind will say no way before your body gives up!
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ahh! You said the J word!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being unable to carry on a conversation. Now, if you reach the point where you feel like you aren't getting enough air, then you need to slow down or you may pass out.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not sprinting in those short sessions - I found that when I was doing running intervals I ran a little too hard. For me, when I ran my first race (10K for me) I only wanted to be able to say I ran the whole thing - timing didn't matter at all. So start slow!

I started training for a half marathon in January (race is in May) after not having run regularly for several years. To work my way up to the training schedule (day 1 was 2 miles!) I did a lot of interval training in Nov and Dec to get myself used to running. Just keep doing what you are doing - you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

Good luck! And remember, regardless of how you finish or if you run the whole thing, at least you tried, and were there for your daughter!
  • sweetleilanimae
    sweetleilanimae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have lots! :) Shoes are so important. They will make all the difference. Don't overdo it and injur yourself. It's OK if you can't carry on a conversation. If you feel like your heart is pounding too much then slow your pace. Your front foot should not be landing in front of the knee. If you are walking try to walk at a brisk pace. Use your arms to walk just like when you are running. When it gets tough, keep going for like one more minute. Your body will adjust and you will get a second wind. It's a strange thing but all of a sudden you feel like your heart adjusts.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Downloading the c25K app right now... I'm running a 5k at the end of May.

Ran cross country and track through high school, hit college and say on my *kitten* the entire 4 years.

I'm getting back into the groove tho
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Does jogging/running on a treadmill cross over to running outside?

Does the c25k app work if your on a treadmill?

One of the things that are preventing me from running at the gym other than the noise, audience, and being overweight and not wanting to hurt myself, is the lack of goals or guidance.

Sure I could get on a treadmill and walk and jog but for how long? What speed? How much should I progress each week?

That c25k app might be the answer.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I an doing c25k. Every new week I swear to myself there is just no way I can complete that session...and every time I just do. Its been great.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I also used the C25k program, as did my daughter. I loved it

Did my first 5k in Oct, and my first 7k a few weeks ago. They also have a continuation for a 10k etc. Will be trying that in July

Those programs really work! Until then, don't give up. I couldn't even run the 30 seconds in the beginning, now I do close to 6 miles.

You can DO it
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I found "ease into 5k" by bluefin a more forgiving app for starting to run from scratch. c25k seemed to have longer intervals and larger jumps, which for a non-runner seemed hard. Ease in to 5k is exactly the same, just a more gradual transition.
    Ease in to 5k isn't free though, the app is all around better though so I didn't mind paying (it also has a decent music player that actually works, along with maps/stats etc.)
  • andi_FP
    andi_FP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to run/jog a 5k and have been trying to get ready, but didn't really know how. I appreciate the app information. I plan on downloading the C25K later today.

I have been trying to build endurance on the treadmill, but it is slow going. I can now run about 2 minutes straight, but then I have to catch my breath for 30 seconds or so. It seems sort of pitiful only being able to run 2 minutes (but its better than the 1 minute when I first started).
  • MissyBfit
    MissyBfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lots of good tips,c25k is what im looking for,and will download!
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Any run/walk method should get you off to a good start. Lots of apps available.a few have been mentioned. I have been running for 3 years.. Usually 5k and I still can't have a conversation so don't worry.
    However be careful not to run too fast. You won't see improvement day to day but don't give up. The date sounds perfect to be able to do it.
    The first few months are always the hardest.