Omega 3 for arthritis?

Options
First, I have message into my dr for her recommendation. But I wondered if anyone has taken the capsules for arthritis and if it helped? I have arthritis in my right hand and some days it just aches some awful. I don't want to keep taking Advil or alleve if I don't need to. Thanks!

Replies

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken it for arthritis but I'm a big fan of omega 3 fish oil and have been taking more lately. Any idea the dosage you'll be taking? The amount of grams probably matter in relation to helping arthritis. I've read that some people improve on their arthritis symptoms with omegas. I myself have arthritic symptoms in my neck because I've popped it for years - interested to see if my higher dosage helps with that any.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't know grams to take. One reason I contacted my dr. I wanted her input on amounts. I am hoping it helps. It gets aggravating especially if I am working.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always recommend everyone take Omega-3s! But talk to your rheumatologist if you're taking a lot of NSAIDs. 500 mg of EPA/DHA daily is the standard recommendation. Have you ever talked to your doc about taking glucosamine as a supplement?
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a bottle of Webber Naturals Triple Strength Omega 3 supplements. Each capsule is 900mg. On the label it says for Rheumatoid Arthritis support take 4 capsules daily. Seems like quite a lot! I've just started taking one a day and it's thrown my system into a loop causing tummy stress, fishy reflux and loose stools. (Sorry if that is too much information!) I can't imagine taking more. Perhaps it would need to be increased gradually.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    The fish/krill oil tablets I take say they are good for joints. Not sure if that means they help arthritis or just help prevent it or even have no affect.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    dena789 wrote: »
    I just picked up a bottle of Webber Naturals Triple Strength Omega 3 supplements. Each capsule is 900mg. On the label it says for Rheumatoid Arthritis support take 4 capsules daily. Seems like quite a lot! I've just started taking one a day and it's thrown my system into a loop causing tummy stress, fishy reflux and loose stools. (Sorry if that is too much information!) I can't imagine taking more. Perhaps it would need to be increased gradually.

I take 1500 ish a day with no issues. Guess it's luck of the draw.