Newbie: Plantar fasciitis & looking for new friends

Options
I'm a newbie to MFP looking for friends. I have plantar fasciitis & want to workout, but it hurts & aches my feet about 5-10 minutes after starting. I was told I can't jump or run. I enjoy doing jumping jacks, jumping rope & squats. I don't know how to swim & don't have a bicycle. Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated. I need help trying to keep from being depressed from not being able to workout like I want. This sucks :(

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Body weight exercises are the only exercises that my sis could do while her PF was healing. You could try DDP Yoga, Convict Conditioning, and/or You Are Your Own Gym. Oh and maybe this could be a good excuse to learn to swim.
  • erincricket
    erincricket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too have PF. It is miserable, but you can get over it. Have you gotten any orthotics for your shoes? I have such high arches my podiatrist thinks I have some genetic issue, but I don't. For jumping jacks, just alternate moving one leg at a time to your side and keep the same arm motion. You still have momentum with low impact. I sent you a friend request.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have PF you do NOT want to ride a bike.

Concentrate on lifting weights.

I can send you some links regarding form too while running.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had PF for a few years. Dragon boat paddling was my outlet.
  • CaseyLynn33
    Options
    Use the orthaheel brand of shoes, they helped me get to the point where my feet don't constantly ache
  • Precious1078
    Precious1078 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of their flip flops..I don't really like wearing shoes except heels or slippers. I will check them out..the flip flops I have were a gift. Thank you for the info :)
  • Precious1078
    Options
    tryclyn wrote: »
    Body weight exercises are the only exercises that my sis could do while her PF was healing. You could try DDP Yoga, Convict Conditioning, and/or You Are Your Own Gym. Oh and maybe this could be a good excuse to learn to swim.

• christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm having a PF flare up right now but I can still do Zumba--just try to find something that is low impact, and make sure you wear good shoes while you're doing it. When I'm having a flare up I have to wear shoes with support every waking moment or I'll have pain. I have "indoor shoes" just for around the house. Also, make sure you're stretching out your hamstrings.
  • Precious1078
    Options
    I'm going to look into the exercises you suggested..I never heard of convict conditioning. You are so right..what better reason to learn to swim. Thank you :)
  • Precious1078
    Options
    I too have PF. It is miserable, but you can get over it. Have you gotten any orthotics for your shoes? I have such high arches my podiatrist thinks I have some genetic issue, but I don't. For jumping jacks, just alternate moving one leg at a time to your side and keep the same arm motion. You still have momentum with low impact. I sent you a friend request.

I tried the over the counter inserts from local stores, but the orthotics I need cost $500 insurance doesn't cover it. Im going to try the jumping jack alternative you suggested & the friend request was accepted. Thank you :)
  • Precious1078
    Options
    Well, if you have PF you do NOT want to ride a bike.

Concentrate on lifting weights.

I can send you some links regarding form too while running.

Thank you for your suggestions & please send me some links. I would appreciate it :)
  • Precious1078
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I had PF for a few years. Dragon boat paddling was my outlet.

I'm going to have to look that up. I thank you for responding back :) I'm hoping I can get this pain under control soon
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Not wearing shoes ,or wearing only heals and slippers will only aggravate. Please look into good shoes. If you do learn to swim be careful with the push off of the wall as that can aggravate too. I did boot camp with mine, but had to take out all jumping exercises and just be careful. There are some great stretches you can do. A simple one is to pick up a towel with your foot, toes. My favorite is to keep a water bottle in the freezer and to roll my foot over it on its side. It stretches and gives your foot a nice ice massage.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Good shoes or inserts are required. Also, I slept with a brace that kept my foot in an "L" shape, this helps keep it stretched. You may want to see a Dr. and get some steroids for the inflammation. STAY OFF of it or it will not heal.