OMG !!! Why am I craving chocolate SO MUCH ?!!

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you are magnesium deficient? Chocolate is high in magnesium, and there is some evidence that people who are craving chocolate aren't getting enough magnesium.

I have my own evidence which is totally anecdotal, but involves my whole family making PMS jokes at my chocolate-hating brother's expense. He started craving chocolate really badly when we moved from an area with very high magnesium content in the tap water to an area with very soft water. He started taking a supplement and the cravings stopped.

Maybe you could check back at your log and see if you need to add some magnesium-rich foods?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So have some dark chocolate.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

It could also be due to a chocolate deficiency and she can solve it by eating some chocolate.

Could be!

The way I understood the original poster was that even when she has some chocolate, she still craves constantly. I was just saying, if eating chocolate doesn't make the chocolate craving go away... maybe it's not really a chocolate craving.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

It could also be due to a chocolate deficiency and she can solve it by eating some chocolate.

Could be!

The way I understood the original poster was that even when she has some chocolate, she still craves constantly. I was just saying, if eating chocolate doesn't make the chocolate craving go away... maybe it's not really a chocolate craving.

I think the standard answer should always be chocolate deficiency since chocolate is awesome.

BAM! IN for chocolate!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is totally awesome. This is probably mostly crackpot science but it's interesting:
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/why-do-women-crave-chocolate.html#b
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    thejocool wrote: »
    Do you have any advice to give me in order to counter this ... I'm afraid it will compromise all my hard work.
    Thanks

Moderation my friend. Moderation.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    thejocool wrote: »
    ...everything is in the title !
    But please no judging :wink:
    After loosing more than 25lbs since last march (2014), in the past month or so I've been craving chocolate like C-R-A-Z-Y !
    I even make special trip to the store because of it and I have to say, I'm feeling ashamed of it sometimes ... It's like my body is really in NEED of it...
    Why is that. I consider eating fairly ok... I indulge sometimes (apart from the chocolate)...
    Can any of relate ?
    Do you have any advice to give me in order to counter this ... I'm afraid it will compromise all my hard work.
    Thanks

What sort of chocolate are you eating? Milk chocolate is really addictive to me (it's the combination of fat and sugar that has been shown to be more addictive than just fat or sugar alone). I now generally go for 85% lindt and find that a few squares usually does it for me.

Randon though but do you have enough fat in your diet, magnesium? You could try upping your healthy fats and or supplementing magnesium

If that doesn't work, a trip to your Doctor to check for any defficiencies is never a bad idea if you haven't had blood work done in a while
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice. If you don't want empty sugary calories, try a chocolate brownie or double chocolate chunk quest bar, at least then you're getting a decent amount of protein and fibre, and they are delicious and relatively low calorie. I also get little 200g tubs of chocolate protein pudding with 30g protein. Quest bars and the puddings are super delicious chocolatey goodness, plus they're filling too :+1:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This thread made me eat 21g 72% chocolate with cranberries

I would like to thank you for reminding me I had that in the house :)
  • cutec527
    cutec527 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i'm not really a heavy chocolate lover but when the craving hits i make myself a box of sugar-free jello pudding and sometimes fluff it with a tiny bit of coolwhip... also my diabetic husband and i LOVE the russel stovers sugarfree candies after eating one of those i feel like i've indulged myself :smiley:
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Your body could be needing magnesium which would explain craving it (besides the tasting good part!). Try eating more healthy foods that are high in magnesium or supplement.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cdn_beaver wrote: »
    Your body could be needing magnesium which would explain craving it (besides the tasting good part!). Try eating more healthy foods that are high in magnesium or supplement.

That's what they reckon, but i take 3 350g magnesium capsules nearly every night and still have demonic chocolate cravings :cry:
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of water? Magnesium is one of the electrolytes that gets flushed out with sweat and higher water intake. Have you tried taking your supplements broken up into three times a day instead of all at night?
  • pr3pared
    pr3pared Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe because diets make the body crave fat foods at an hormonal level, some (Lyle McDonald) say having planned cheat meals and refeeds MAY help with that. (source http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-2.html), if moderated chocolate consumption doesn't help.
  • allyourbases
    allyourbases Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG! My boyfriend is black too!
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Is it possible that you are magnesium deficient? Chocolate is high in magnesium, and there is some evidence that people who are craving chocolate aren't getting enough magnesium.

I have my own evidence which is totally anecdotal, but involves my whole family making PMS jokes at my chocolate-hating brother's expense. He started craving chocolate really badly when we moved from an area with very high magnesium content in the tap water to an area with very soft water. He started taking a supplement and the cravings stopped.

Maybe you could check back at your log and see if you need to add some magnesium-rich foods?

Thank you so much for this info I will for sure check into this info !
    For everyone who told me to it the chocolate note that, I'm eating it , I know you have to treat yourself in order to be successful I noticed that the last 2 weeks were really intense. I've been logging now for 360 consecutive days and know my stuff... I know to eat little in order not to go crazy but lately it's been out of control And wanted to know if physically I would have something going wrong all of a sudden... And for peeps that gave me as an advice to eat the dark chocolate ... I don't like it ! I tried it many times, in many brands and think it just taste horrible... LOL ! But that is me... ;)
    Thanks for all your nice advice it's really appreciated !