help quiting soda

Anyone got any good tips on quitting soda or cutting consumption????

Replies

• meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    When I stopped drinking diet coke, I went cold turkey. It wasn't in the house and so I didn't drink it!

Haven't drunk it since (over two years now...)
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    stop drinking it

idk i quit cold turkey 3 years ago. now i can't stand the fizzy carbonated drinks
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I used club soda or seltzer to quit.
    At first I added 1/4 cup orange juice or grape juice or any othe juice you like and then I was able to cut out the juice and drink it plain or purchase a no calorie flavored one such as lemon/lime, etc.
    Of course you can also squeeze your own lime in it.
    The only time I have diet soda now is a sprite zero on a plane when u travel. It's my special soothing plane treat, lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Just stop.. If the caffeine is a problem then withdraw off it slowly....

Oh yeah, find something else you like to drink... It is as simple as that...
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Buy a Soda Stream and make carbonated water. You can add sugar free syrup or lemon, but I just drink the fizzy water. You can get extra bottles, so you can take one with you to work.
  • silverlaunch3
    silverlaunch3 Posts: 7 Member
    Do it slowly, just like anything else we might be addicted to. I used to drink a lot of coca cola but then switch to sprite and now I'm consuming less and less. Have other healthy and not a lot of sugar drinks in the refri when you have that crave to drink something. I keep my refri full of water and cut lemons inside for some taste.natural orange juice, non sweet apple juice, grateful or cranberry juice are good alternate. Drink something and reduced your soda intake slowly and before you know it, you'll lose the craving for the soda. Good luck.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Water. I drink nothing now but water and the occasional beer if I'm out for dinner or at a party or something. 18 months into doing it and up to about 12-16 8oz cups a day.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I went to seltzer water and haven't turned back since. Sure I miss it but it isn't worth the calories to me. You just have to be careful with seltzer because some use aspartame as a sweetener and some are loaded with sodium. I alternate between water and seltzer during the day and I didn't have withdrawal symptoms either from the caffeine. The ones I find that have no sodium and use natural flavoring if its flavored is Canada dry plain and lemon lime and aldis brand lemon lime.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    I switched to flavored water, then to adding things like cucumbers or oranges to my water, and drank a lot of hot tea. It's been almost 4 years since I've touched any kind of pop. The hardest was days 3-5 and week 3. After that I never looked back.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Don't buy it. If you need something fizzy, try flavored seltzers or flavored carbonated water (apparently there is a difference because they are in different aisles in my grocery store). If you need caffeine, have coffee or tea with a minimum amount of milk/cream and/or sugar.

After the fake sweetness of diet soda, both seltzer and black coffee seem to be acquired tastes, but now I don't even really like the flavor of Diet Coke.
  • davmall92
    davmall92 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions
  • Milotic2015
    Milotic2015 Posts: 51 Member
    I use to drink 6 soda's a day. How i cut out drinking soda's is the following scheduel:

Week one: Drink 5 soda's a day
    Week two: Drink 4 soda's a day
    Week three: Drink 3 soda's a day
    Week Four: Drink two Soda's a day
    Week Five: Drink 1 soda a day
    Week 6: No soda

I made sure that every time i took away a soda i replaced it with a glass of Water. Now i'm working on increasing my water intake.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    meeperoon wrote: »
    When I stopped drinking diet coke, I went cold turkey. It wasn't in the house and so I didn't drink it!

I just started reducing my daily intake until it got to zero. Now I don't even think about it.

• qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    meeperoon wrote: »

stop drinking it

idk i quit cold turkey 3 years ago. now i can't stand the fizzy carbonated drinks

Same here... I quit soda cold turkey, haven't drunk it since, and now can't stand the thought of drinking any...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I switched to iced tea at restaurants, mostly drink iced tea and water at home now too.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I most like the fizz about soda, so recommend the flavored seltzers. Some of them are really good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Depends on what your issue with quitting it is.

If you miss the caffeine, maybe phase it out or replace with something with caffeine at least at first.

If you miss the fizz, go with a flavored seltzer or the like (I often like just fizzy water).

If it's just you think water is boring or you want something else on occasion, pick some teas you like and chill them.

Consider playing around with making home-made ginger ale or the like (although some recipes aren't low cal, so you need to be careful).

(I've never found soda that tough to stop, but when I quit wine one of my issues was not having something special to drink in the evenings, so I became a huge connoisseur of the chilled teas, which I usually drank out of wine glasses.)
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    I first quit the diet sodas. Actually added in a can a day of full sugar soda and still lost weight just by quitting the fake chemicals. Then I eventually had a habit of 2-3 cans of full sugar soda a day habit. So I quit that cold turkey. Not even any while out to dinner. I used iced tea, club soda with lemon and lime added to keep some "flavored" drinks. Skip the liquid water enhancers if you ask me. they are all loaded with chemical crap. None of it is good for you. Better to track the calories of adding real juices or real blended fruits to your club soda. (just my honest opinion). I can now have a crown and coke when out to dinner and it won't trigger a downhill slide. I also allow myself some real Coke or Vernors when I'm dealing with really bad illnesses like stomach 'bugs' or bad bronchitis where I just don't eat anything. Good Luck! I think you'll find your wallet fatter and your body healthier- if not thinner- for giving up the soda habit!