Results with Heavy Lifting and Proper nutrition (No Cardio)

Has anyone had success with lifting heavy weights and following a well balanced nutritional program, but not incorporating cardio. When I say no cardio I mean no cardio in addition to daily activities such as walking the dogs, playing with children, hiking, and gardening.

Looking for some motivation. Please share your success and tips.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌
    Those two have and I believe @sarauk2sf and @pwrlftr82 as well
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    I would classify hiking and walking the dogs as cardio. It doesn't have to be incredibly intense to give you some benefit.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Yes! I wouldn't say I'm a success story, rather successful... The process is ever ongoing. Thus 'progressive' lifting.

At 41, I have never felt better, felt stronger, looked better or had the complete confidence that I have now. I've pretty much always maintained a somewhat healthy diet, but learning and incorporating a heavy lifting routine has changed so much for me. All for the better! :)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    yes! Of course it will depend who you ask but in my opinion your diet will control the weight loss and strength training will sculpt your body and develop the muscles that will show when your body fat percentage is low enough. Cardio is good for general health, esp heart and lungs. Cardio will help burn calories while you are doing it but having a higher muscle mass will increase your calorie burn long after you've finished (I'm not clear on the science so dont ask me!!)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi:
    I am on Maintenance mode now. I weight lift 4 days a week. I use cardio as a warm up only, less than 10 minutes a day. I have increased my daily protein target to help my muscle recovery.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    My cardio is also a warm-up - 20-30 minutes before weightlifting and calisthenics
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Yea, I have. I assume you're talking about leaning up while avoiding cardio?

These are from when I was in the mid 160's (which I'm not anymore).

CXz0tmF.jpg?1
    ncMSQ2G.jpg?1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    nice socks :)
  • LolBroScience
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Yes, I have been lifting heavy for about a year on a low calorie diet around 1,200 calories while doing cardio and I have maintained the same weight but lost a few inches early on when I started lifting. Everyone keeps recommending I do more cardio and drop my calories but as someone that loves to lift that is not an option for me and my diet is already fairly clean so I don't think I would benefit from decreasing my calories more. I thought maybe if I continue lifting heavy but monitor my macros and cut out the cardio I might have more success with shedding the extra fat that covers my muscles. I started doing a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat while eating 1,400 calories along with a daily 10 minute workout (more of a warm up that involves lifting and cardio) and heavy lifting 2-3 times weekly.

As I said everyone I know recommends I cut my calories back down to 1,200 a day, forget macros, and replace lifting with cardio. So I thought I would get the opinion of others that may have experience with losing the extra fat rather than focusing on the number on the scale.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    If you are avoiding cardio because it's boring you could try circuit training. It can turn lifting into quasi-cardio so that you get some of the health benefits while still doing the lifting moves I'm assuming you enjoy.
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Thank you for the recommendation I believe the workout I started doing every morning would be considered quasi-cardio. Would it be considered a quasi-cardio workout if I do compound moves such as squats hold 40lbs with a knee lift. I usually do 1 minute of each compound exercise followed by a 15 sec. rest to give me enough time to grab the next set of weights. I also switch it up while lifting and do a superset here and there, maybe I should add more supersets?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I competed in a bodybuilding competition with only 30 minutes of HIIT per week. I was also eating around 1600-1800 calories per day and lifting 5-6 days per week. I didn't eat "clean" I filled my macros and micros, then enjoyed some treats.
  • rangertrav
    rangertrav Posts: 4 Member
    For every pound of mucle ypu gain you will burn 50 extra calories a day by doing nothing. So if you do the math gaining 4 pounds of mucle will work out to burning 200 cal the equivalent of a decent little work every day on top of you daily exercise

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Thank you for the recommendation I believe the workout I started doing every morning would be considered quasi-cardio. Would it be considered a quasi-cardio workout if I do compound moves such as squats hold 40lbs with a knee lift. I usually do 1 minute of each compound exercise followed by a 15 sec. rest to give me enough time to grab the next set of weights. I also switch it up while lifting and do a superset here and there, maybe I should add more supersets?

That is the sort of thing I was thinking of. As long as you move on to the next exercise quickly enough that you keep your heart rate elevated I would think it would give some cardio health benefits.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My cardio is also a warm-up - 20-30 minutes before weightlifting and calisthenics

I like to warm up with a little cardio before lifting also.

I dunno, I don't think it matters if you do cardio or lift or do a combo, as long as you are moving more. I love racquetball and rock climbing and lifting barbells. And I can't wait for the weather to get a tad better so I can enjoy just walking outside! What is important is finding something you love, that you can stick to, and is within your ability.
    ... I started doing a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat while eating 1,400 calories along with a daily 10 minute workout (more of a warm up that involves lifting and cardio) and heavy lifting 2-3 times weekly.

As I said everyone I know recommends I cut my calories back down to 1,200 a day, forget macros, and replace lifting with cardio. So I thought I would get the opinion of others that may have experience with losing the extra fat rather than focusing on the number on the scale.

Eating at 1200 (or even 1400) is extremely difficult. I know I feel better when I eat around 1450, and I have been losing weight (slowly). I'm 5'4" 156lbs atm. If you are looking to shed fat and care more about the inches, then I think you are doing the right thing and focusing on macros, lifting, and eating a bit more. If you are still trying to make the scale descend, and it isn't, then take a serious look at your diary and think if you are picking up any mindless calories during the day or if you are over estimating how much you burn and eat back too much.

Try not to stress and do what you love. You'll be happier for it =)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2015
    yes - i lift and do very limited cardio, especially now as i cannot run right now due to hip bursitis. i also follow IIFYM.

t9fnf9.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Yep - no cardio, just lifting =).

I lost about 37lb when on here (I am heavier now than I wa at my lowest weight which was 146lb) with just calorie restriction and lifting. I had lost about 10lb prior to that with mainly just calorie restriction.

You can see my thread here (it's kind of old, I probably should do a new one):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/903628/one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics/p1

Current weight of about 163lb (putting pic in spoilers as showing some skin so be warned before unhiding):
    r7coicga6ntj.jpg

ETA: crap, that's huge. Ugghhh..how do you make these smaller now?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I do 95% weightlifting and very little cardio.

If you've been eating 1200 calories per day and working out regularly, you'd be losing weight. I think instead of looking at your exercise routine, you need to get your intake in check first. Buy a food scale, figure out how many calories you're really eating.
  • LolBroScience
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ETA: crap, that's huge. Ugghhh..how do you make these smaller now?

No keep it big. I need a more realistic life size model for later.