Results with Heavy Lifting and Proper nutrition (No Cardio)

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ETA: crap, that's huge. Ugghhh..how do you make these smaller now?

No keep it big. I need a more realistic life size model for later.

You talking about the pic or mah azz?

:wink:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I lost 30# strictly lifting. I added cardio in when I started doing OCRs. Once those are done, I'll probably cut back on the cardio again. I don't really enjoy it; I only enjoy the extra calories it gives me.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015

Both.

How do you do that "Spoiler" magic?
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    You don't have to do cardio. It's good to get some type of cardio activity in for heart health thought. Whether it be HITT, MISS or LISS.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I am cutting right now and lifting four times a week with one day of light cardio (about 1.5 to two miles) and some ab work ....so far I am down just about a pound per week since I started cutting in mid-Febuary ...about five pounds total....
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited March 2015

Both.

How do you do that "Spoiler" magic?

That works!

Re spoiler - under the paragraph symbol drop downs there is a spoiler option - or you can just surround the pic url with
    (without the extra space I put in)

erp lol...that did not work to stop it doing it with an extra space. Do the [] [/] around the pic with the word spoiler in the square brackets.
  • ndj1979
    Yes, I have been lifting heavy for about a year on a low calorie diet around 1,200 calories while doing cardio and I have maintained the same weight but lost a few inches early on when I started lifting. Everyone keeps recommending I do more cardio and drop my calories but as someone that loves to lift that is not an option for me and my diet is already fairly clean so I don't think I would benefit from decreasing my calories more. I thought maybe if I continue lifting heavy but monitor my macros and cut out the cardio I might have more success with shedding the extra fat that covers my muscles. I started doing a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat while eating 1,400 calories along with a daily 10 minute workout (more of a warm up that involves lifting and cardio) and heavy lifting 2-3 times weekly.

As I said everyone I know recommends I cut my calories back down to 1,200 a day, forget macros, and replace lifting with cardio. So I thought I would get the opinion of others that may have experience with losing the extra fat rather than focusing on the number on the scale.

are you using a food scale to weigh all solids?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    rangertrav wrote: »
    For every pound of mucle ypu gain you will burn 50 extra calories a day by doing nothing. So if you do the math gaining 4 pounds of mucle will work out to burning 200 cal the equivalent of a decent little work every day on top of you daily exercise

So by your math, someone like Lou Ferrigno in his prime was burning like... 100lbs of "extra" muscle x 50 = 5,000cals per day just laying around the house?

• Sarauk2sf
    Also @SideSteel does not do cardio (other than going for walks) but he may not be a good example as he is a bit fluffy and doesn't even look like he lifts.
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    I use a food scale for meats so I know the correct ounces, everything else I'm using tsp. tbsp. and cups. Would you recommend using a food scale for everything I eat?
  • 08robyngreen
    Also I just started the 1,400 calorie diet, watching macros, and heavy lifting Monday. So I do not know whether I will lose any inches yet (not too concerned about the number on the scale). I was simply looking for any recommendations on improving the plan or whether I should go with my friend suggestions and slave over cardio on a low calorie diet and stop lifting. Your responses are all very helpful I was worried that I would gain inches even at a deficient if I only watch macros, calories, and lift heavy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I use a food scale for meats so I know the correct ounces, everything else I'm using tsp. tbsp. and cups. Would you recommend using a food scale for everything I eat?

Scale for everything. Even leveling off my tbsp of peanut butter when weighed is over a tablespoon by grams. 1/2 cup of oatmeal when weighed is over 1/2 cup by grams.
  • 08robyngreen
    Thank you for that advice I will start using the scale for everything.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Also @SideSteel does not do cardio (other than going for walks) but he may not be a good example as he is a bit fluffy and doesn't even look like he lifts.

I agree with this assessment of @SideSteel‌
  • ndj1979

I agree of this assessment of @SideSteel‌

LOl I see what you guys are doing there...

"pinging" him...
  • ndj1979
    Thank you for that advice I will start using the scale for everything.

more than likely you were underestimating your calories at 1200 and were really eating more than you thought....
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌
    Those two have and I believe @sarauk2sf and @pwrlftr82 as well

Awww...you tagged me!!!

Yup--heavy lifting, good food and plenty of gelato.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Awww...you tagged me!!!

I mean you used to run, which I still can't believe...
    =P
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Awww...you tagged me!!!

I mean you used to run, which I still can't believe...
    =P

Yeah, but that was before my two bulks/cuts LOL
  • 08robyngreen
    Yes I agree I was probably eating more than I thought. I didn't realize it was inaccurate unless the food was weighed.