Results with Heavy Lifting and Proper nutrition (No Cardio)

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that advice I will start using the scale for everything.

more than likely you were underestimating your calories at 1200 and were really eating more than you thought....
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌
    Those two have and I believe @sarauk2sf and @pwrlftr82 as well

Awww...you tagged me!!!

Yup--heavy lifting, good food and plenty of gelato.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Awww...you tagged me!!!

I mean you used to run, which I still can't believe...
    =P
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @usmcmp @LolBroScience‌

Awww...you tagged me!!!

I mean you used to run, which I still can't believe...
    =P

Yeah, but that was before my two bulks/cuts LOL
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree I was probably eating more than I thought. I didn't realize it was inaccurate unless the food was weighed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree I was probably eating more than I thought. I didn't realize it was inaccurate unless the food was weighed.

it makes a pretty big difference....I was reading somewhere that you can be off 20 to 50% when trying to eyeball portions...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: how much do you weigh?
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with lifting heavy weights and following a well balanced nutritional program, but not incorporating cardio. When I say no cardio I mean no cardio in addition to daily activities such as walking the dogs, playing with children, hiking, and gardening.

Looking for some motivation. Please share your success and tips.
    But hiking, walking the dog, gardening ARE cardio. You can't separate "workout cardio" from your everyday activity cardio - to the body it's the same thing.

Now, as others have said, yes, you *can* have results without additional cardio. I could never do it though. I love high intensity interval training too much, and I'm an avid bicyclist. With some good music on, to me it's just more fun than lifting. The only "lifting" I have done since late January is push-ups 2-3 times a week, steadily increasing in number (started with 150 and now I do between 250 and 300 depending on the day, in sets of course). Most of my workouts are either bicyling (with goals on time and distance) or high-intensity training cardio at the gym. I am starting to see definition on my shoulders and arms and better definition on my chest, and lost about 20 lbs since mid January (goal is about 15-20 lbs more... admittedly I hadn't logged my beginning weight to MFP at the beginning, just left what I put in from a long time ago after which I stopped using it).

Anyway, my point is, you can have the "after burn" effect with either high intensity cardio or heavy lifting. Definition is a matter of lowering body fat. Bulking up you may not be able to do without a rigorous lifting routine.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Has anyone had success with lifting heavy weights and following a well balanced nutritional program, but not incorporating cardio. When I say no cardio I mean no cardio in addition to daily activities such as walking the dogs, playing with children, hiking, and gardening.

But hiking, walking the dog, gardening ARE cardio. You can't separate "workout cardio" from your everyday activity cardio - to the body it's the same thing.

Now, as others have said, yes, you *can* have results without additional cardio. I could never do it though. I love high intensity interval training too much, and I'm an avid bicyclist. With some good music on, to me it's just more fun than lifting. The only "lifting" I have done since late January is push-ups 2-3 times a week, steadily increasing in number (started with 150 and now I do between 250 and 300 depending on the day, in sets of course). Most of my workouts are either bicyling (with goals on time and distance) or high-intensity training cardio at the gym. I am starting to see definition on my shoulders and arms and better definition on my chest, and lost about 20 lbs since mid January (goal is about 15-20 lbs more... admittedly I hadn't logged my beginning weight to MFP at the beginning, just left what I put in from a long time ago after which I stopped using it).

Anyway, my point is, you can have the "after burn" effect with either high intensity cardio or heavy lifting. Definition is a matter of lowering body fat. Bulking up you may not be able to do without a rigorous lifting routine.

But she's looking for people who don't do purposeful cardio - like your bike rides.
    Yeah, chasing after kids is cardio but it's a daily life activity if you're a parent. If you live in a high elevation, so is hiking. If you have a dog, walking it better be a part of your daily life.

The after burn is going to be better with lifting than cardio

And "bulking up" is only done with a calorie surplus and a progressive lifting routine.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »

But she's looking for people who don't do purposeful cardio - like your bike rides.
    Yeah, chasing after kids is cardio but it's a daily life activity if you're a parent. If you live in a high elevation, so is hiking. If you have a dog, walking it better be a part of your daily life.

The after burn is going to be better with lifting than cardio

And "bulking up" is only done with a calorie surplus and a progressive lifting routine.
    The after burn may be "better" with lifting than with HIIT (or any cardio that's not steady state, really), but only proportionally so. But you also burn more during the workout with high intensity interval endurance training than you do with lifting, so the total math may or may not work the same.

In any case, the point I am trying to make is that no workout program is likely to succeed unless you like it enough to stick to it.
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Exactly I don't count hiking and biking and walking the dog toward my cardio as calories that I can eat back because its part of my daily activities. Where I'm from (in a mountainous region) if I'm going for a walk I'm hiking, if I'm hiking I'm typically carrying at least one of my 30lb. toddlers if not both up and down hills, for me its something I do daily that I don't need to track. Its something that comes easily to me because I always do it. I am not concerned about how many calories the exercise burns, I'm concerned whether I can make a hike 6 miles back holding both my children because they want mommy not daddy to carry them but that's something I got used to just through doing it often. To me its not exercise, its not cardio, its life.

Don't get me wrong I know lots of cardio will get me good results but in my experience they are short term results that typically don't last. I have done workouts like Insanity and saw great results but the minute I stop all that cardio I gain the weight right back either way its not a sustainable way for me to live long term because I don't like structured cardio. Plus I really don't have time to step away from my kids and do cardio for an hour a day. To me lifting is something that I can enjoy while my children are with me, heck my little one are my biggest fans while I'm lifting. Ever do push ups and planks with 2 toddlers both laying on you and telling you to keep going? Or listened to your 4 year old say you can add one more weight to that when your maxed out? Like I said my biggest fans and they enjoy watching and participating in my workouts when I'm lifting. For me weight training is what allows me to spend time with my family and workout.

Either way I separate exercise cardio from daily activity even if someone else considers it cardio.