Have to give up sugar/carbs...diagnosed with SIBO

Options
Tiamo719
Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
SIBO is small intestinal bacteria overgrowth. I am on my 4th antibiotic in four months. When I am not on them, I am good for about two weeks then the bloating and cramping begin again. It's so bad at times that I have to miss work.

I read that the bacteria feeds on sugar and carbs. I love my sugar. I have actually learned to include it in my daily diary without going over my calories but the last two weeks, I just haven't cared. I think I've eaten more sugar now than ever because I am so frustrated. What the heck does one eat? I'm already gluten free. Between the fodmap diet, the SIBO diet and the diet for my colitis, my head is spinning.

If anyone is going through this SIBO crap, I would love to know what alternative methods you use.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can you ask for a referral to a dietitian who can help you create some meal plans? That's a lot of restrictions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, no, don't have SIBO (pats belly in gratefulness). I relate to the "last meal" feelings though. How about switching to an artificial sweetener?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No advice for you, but this sounds terrible. :'(
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I second the dietitian notion. You will need more help planning than we can provide I think.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a high potency probiotic? I have Crohn's disease and my GI doctor recommended Florajen 3 (make sure you get Florjen 3 and not Florajen). Amazon has it for $30 for 60 days worth. The trouble with antibiotics is they kill off both bad and good bacteria and a good probiotic will keep the good bacteria in balance. If you decided to try it, take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The first week is kind of rough while you body is adjusting but just make sure you don't miss a day and you'll be good after that. If you're going to a GI doctor, they may even have a 30 day sample they can give you...that's how I got started!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation to see a dietician who will be able to go over allowable foods and come up with meal plans and menu ideas for you.

Good luck.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing a dietitian. I can tell you ways to help cut out sugar and carbs, but I'm not sure if that would aggravate your other issues. Best of luck to you!
  • jessicamanzanares
    jessicamanzanares Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm about your steuggles. I dont know what you're going through but I agree with the Dietician advice. Also, working toward getting your "gut" healthy might be a big factor. Meaghan suggested probiotics which is a great idea. I'd suggest RAW PROBIOTICS. It's a bit expensive but the best brand out there! Good luck!
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm still waiting for two nutritionists to return my call. I may have to go with one that is not in my insurance plan. It sucks! I guess some things are worth spending money on.

@goteamMeaghan, my physician gave me samples for VSL #3, it's a very expensive probiotic but I am not to use them until after I finish my antibiotics.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My mother-in-law is being tested for this and she was told to try a low carb paleo approach, gluten-free/no sugar. She only lasted about a week on that diet, unfortunately, and is still experiencing daily bloating and a constant sensation of fullness. If you are interested in the low carb/no sugar approach, feel free to join those of us eating low carb in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In the category of TMI, here's a fecal transplant treatment showing good initial results:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1681810/fecal-transplants-are-changing-patients-lives/