About Subway and Jamba juice

Options
supah11
supah11 Posts: 71 Member
Is it bad to eat subway sandwhiches and drink jamba juice most of the time? I'm not sure if their term "healthy" really is healthy.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like most meals? Or most days?

For weight loss, it doesn't matter if they are "really healthy" or not. What matters is if you accurately track the calories you consume while eating there.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Define your idea of "bad".

Subway products are pretty good depending on what toppings you use. The issue I would see with eating Subway sandwiches regularly is that means a lot of white bread which is a simple carbohydrate. Even the whole wheat bread is still mostly white flour.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Going to depend on what you order and what your goals are.
  • supah11
    Options
    Like most meals? Or most days?

For weight loss, it doesn't matter if they are "really healthy" or not. What matters is if you accurately track the calories you consume while eating there.
    On certain days only like 2-3x a week. But yea I make sure to track my calorie intake :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Careful with the Jamba Juice drinks - they are really high in calories.
  • supah11
    Options

I get the ones with low calorie though, are they still not safe? So getting them most of the times isn't a good thing then even if they're fruit smoothies?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    supah11 wrote: »

I get the ones with low calorie though, are they still not safe? So getting them most of the times isn't a good thing then even if they're fruit smoothies?

If you know what the calorie count is and you log the calories, what do you think would be unsafe about them?

It has nothing to do with them being "fruit smoothies" (I can create super-high calorie fruit smoothies if I want). It comes down to: do you know what the calorie count is and are you logging it and meeting your calorie goal?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Define "safe".

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad if it fits your macros. I mean, health is one thing, but for weight loss a calorie is a calorie. That set aside, while I'm not familiar with Jamba Juice, I eat at subway from time to time and I think it's delicious. I am always able to get a sandwich that fits my daily allowance, and usually I flood it with veggies (it's just a personal preference, really). But even if I wanted to forgo the veggies, that wouldn't make it "bad" or "unhealthy"-- It just means that I wouldn't be getting as many vitamins, that's all.
  • supah11
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    I don't think it's bad if it fits your macros. I mean, health is one thing, but for weight loss a calorie is a calorie. That set aside, while I'm not familiar with Jamba Juice, I eat at subway from time to time and I think it's delicious. I am always able to get a sandwich that fits my daily allowance, and usually I flood it with veggies (it's just a personal preference, really). But even if I wanted to forgo the veggies, that wouldn't make it "bad" or "unhealthy"-- It just means that I wouldn't be getting as many vitamins, that's all.

I make sure my sandwhich is healthy :)
  • supah11
    Options

Define "safe".

Safe in terms of healthy, all natural, no preservatives
  • PearlAng
    edited March 2015
    Options

So what's the problem then? You asked if these chains are healthy, but then you say you make sure your sandwich healthy. I think you answered your own question ;)

ETA: I think everyone will define healthy differently, but if you want to go with the common definition that's pretty universal, then I guess you've got it. Once you start looking into all natural and no preservatives, though, the lines get blurred. I personally believe those are not the most important factors that determine what's "healthy" and what's not, but just remember that in most chains, you will find some amount of preservatives because, well, big business. It's not cost efficient to go through foods because they spoil too quickly. May not be the case at Subway and Jamba Juice, I'm not sure because I don't pay much mind to that.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Define "safe".

Those things mean nothing when it comes to weight loss. You will lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit. Whether or not the food is "healthy" won't matter. Whether or not is is natural won't matter. The preservative level won't matter. If you consume excess calories, your body won't care if it is a juice smoothie or a slurpee, a Big Mac or an "all natural" Subway sandwich.

(What are you ordering that is free of preservatives at Subway, by the way?)
  • supah11
    Options

So what's the problem then? You asked if these chains are healthy, but then you say you make sure your sandwich healthy. I think you answered your own question ;)

I'm just worried hehe..caz the net's just confusing with diff types of info. Thanks
  • supah11
    Options

Define "safe".

Those things mean nothing when it comes to weight loss. You will lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit. Whether or not the food is "healthy" won't matter. Whether or not is is natural won't matter. The preservative level won't matter. If you consume excess calories, your body won't care if it is a juice smoothie or a slurpee, a Big Mac or an "all natural" Subway sandwich.

Wheat tuna all veggies included
  • PearlAng
    Options

Define "safe".

Not to be that guy, but the bread likely has preservatives in it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it, though
  • supah11
    Options

Define "safe".

Not to be that guy, but the bread likely has preservatives in it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it, though

Yes, i understand. :) thanks
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Define "safe".

You realize mayo usually has preservatives in it, right? There's nothing wrong with that (I mean, who wants spoiled mayo?). It seems like you're latching on to a lot of buzzwords that don't mean much ("healthy," "all natural") or don't have any impact on weight loss ("preservative free").

Anyway, as long as you account for the 480 or so calories in your 6'' tuna sub (depending on toppings) and the few hundred in your Jamba Juice, you should be fine.
  • supah11
    Options

Define "safe".

You realize mayo usually has preservatives in it, right? There's nothing wrong with that (I mean, who wants spoiled mayo?). It seems like you're latching on to a lot of buzzwords that don't mean much ("healthy," "all natural") or don't have any impact on weight loss ("preservative free").

Anyway, as long as you account for the 480 or so calories in your 6'' tuna sub (depending on toppings) and the few hundred in your Jamba Juice, you should be fine.

Yes I am informed about the mayo etc. I mean I ordered it outside so I have no choice but to eat those too unless of course its me who prepared it. I am aware of it thanks :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Define "safe".

Yes I am informed about the mayo etc. I mean I ordered it outside so I have no choice but to eat those too unless of course its me who prepared it. I am aware of it thanks :)

This entire thread is confusing to me. You asked if Subway was "safe" and you said your definition of "safe" was "healthy, all natural, no preservatives." So when it is pointed out that two of those terms are pretty meaningless and the food you order doesn't meet the definition of the third, you say you already knew that.

I am not sure what you are looking for in this thread. Why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to?