Does anyone use jawbone/bodymedia?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I'm considering getting the Up3 when it comes out, has anyone maintained for a while using a Jawbone or Bodymedia? Just curious about how accurate they really are.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for years with the BodyMedia Fit. You can't buy it from the site anymore, only from secondary market (ebay, etc.)
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've used the BMF on/off for over 4 years now (4+ months dieting and almost 4 years maintenance) and swear by it. Jawbone bought BMF over a year ago and you can no longer buy them (unless through 2ndary like Evileen said). Also think you might be waiting a looooong time for the Up3........Jawbone doesn't give anyone an answer as to when it'll be released (which it was suppose to have been already).
    I am currently testing out the Fitbit Charge HR and am very happy w/it. Only device I've tried (have Garmin Vivofit and Fitbit Zip) that is reasonably accurate (compared to BMF).
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    lisab64mfp wrote: »
    I am currently testing out the Fitbit Charge HR and am very happy w/it. Only device I've tried (have Garmin Vivofit and Fitbit Zip) that is reasonably accurate (compared to BMF).

Thank you for this reply, I have been dreading the day that they will stop supporting my BodyMedia. I keep looking at the Fitbit Charge HR, but hate that it will be around my wrist. I like being able to "hide" my BodyMedia in my bra during the Summer months :)

• Francl27
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll probably wait for reviews and buy it then.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I got the Body Media Fit and used it for about 6 months. It gave me lots of excellent information about my calorie burns and sleep patterns, but I got tired of paying the monthly fee. I eat and workout about the same as I did when I was wearing it so I know I'm on track.
  • csverdin
    csverdin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my BodyMedia when I realized that it too was nothing more than a glorified pedometer. Sure it has sensors for skin temperature and galvanic skin response but apparently they do not factor much into the caloric burn calculation. I came to this conclusion after doing a very strenuous workout on a stationary bike to the point of my shirt being drenched and it registered it as moderate activity whereas walking at a brisk pace without breaking a sweat registers as vigorous activity. When calling to inquire about the accuracy they suggested swinging my arm or moving it to my leg. I requested a call back 2 weeks ago and I have not gotten one. Seriously considering a class action suit for misrepresenting the accuracy of the device at 95%. Save yourself some money. Buy a $20 pedometer and set daily step goals for yourself. (Incidentally, the research sited by BodyMedia states that tracking your movement improves weight loss, not using their device.)
  • Francl27
    Options
    csverdin wrote: »
    I just cancelled my BodyMedia when I realized that it too was nothing more than a glorified pedometer. Sure it has sensors for skin temperature and galvanic skin response but apparently they do not factor much into the caloric burn calculation. I came to this conclusion after doing a very strenuous workout on a stationary bike to the point of my shirt being drenched and it registered it as moderate activity whereas walking at a brisk pace without breaking a sweat registers as vigorous activity. When calling to inquire about the accuracy they suggested swinging my arm or moving it to my leg. I requested a call back 2 weeks ago and I have not gotten one. Seriously considering a class action suit for misrepresenting the accuracy of the device at 95%. Save yourself some money. Buy a $20 pedometer and set daily step goals for yourself. (Incidentally, the research sited by BodyMedia states that tracking your movement improves weight loss, not using their device.)

Ok that's good to know. One of the reasons I'm waiting to buy the Up3 is that I don't know if it will have a monthly subscription or not... and I refuse to pay for that.

I do have a fitbit, but considering that more than half of my workouts are Les Mills Combat or stationary bike, it's pretty useless frankly... there's not a lot of steps in those... so that's why I was looking at the Up3.I had the same issue with inconsistent and illogical reports with my fitbit too (like burning more calories on days when I had less steps and less 'active minutes' than others).
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I used the armband while doing Fitness Blender online videos or running. Each video gives a general calorie range you're likely to burn, and the Fit had me right in the middle of the range almost every single time. It seemed to agree with my Runkeeper account when I went running too. And I was losing pretty steadily, so I found the results to be good. But like you, I can't stomach a monthly charge when the data really isn't going to change that much if I'm doing and eating the same things for the most part.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone UP24. I've had it about 7 months or so. It definitely keeps me on track, I like the sleep details as well.
  • cjgaudette
    cjgaudette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia and still think it's one of the most accurate fitness trackers out there. Perhaps csverdin had a defective unit. True that it doesn't always measure 'steps' accurately in a spinning class -- but I can definitely see the caloric burn register when viewing the data, as well as with any other serious workout. I feel it's the sensors that make this stand apart from other units, although I've only compared it with a couple of wrist devices in addition to a HRM. I don't mind paying the monthly fee because I think it's worth it.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    cjgaudette wrote: »
    I love my BodyMedia and still think it's one of the most accurate fitness trackers out there. Perhaps csverdin had a defective unit. True that it doesn't always measure 'steps' accurately in a spinning class -- but I can definitely see the caloric burn register when viewing the data, as well as with any other serious workout. I feel it's the sensors that make this stand apart from other units, although I've only compared it with a couple of wrist devices in addition to a HRM. I don't mind paying the monthly fee because I think it's worth it.

I totally agree with you. Worth every penny!

• raebea
    raebea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll put in another vote for the Bodymedia. I actually have an older "Bodybugg" and it's fantastic. It proved to me what I already knew: my BMR and TDEE are MUCH less than the calculations on height, weight, age, and gender estimate. Thanks, hypothyroid and PCOS diagnoses. Now I have an accurate view of my caloric expenditure and deficit. SO worth $7/month!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love my BMF! Maintained for 2 years now with it. Very accurate even with lifting.
  • lilwanda820
    lilwanda820 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love mines as well ... it's the most accurate activity tracker for me ...
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have one but haven't used it for awhile because I HATE that it goes on my arm. I don't want people seeing this thing (summer coming and short sleeves and all). Someone said they put it in the bra?? What?? How?? I lost the most weight ever when I was using it and eating back every one of my calories lol
  • SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to use BMF but got annoyed with it being on my arm. It made me really uncomfortable and I never got used to it being there. The tracking was fabulous, though. I have a FitBit now, but am planning on getting the Up3 if they ever get them manufactured and out.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    csverdin wrote: »

I got a BodyMedia Fit as an incentive through my wellness program at work. So glad I didn't buy it outright. Apparently washing the dishes by hand burns as many calories as a 90 cycling ride (14mph avg speed). On the advice of others, I put my BMF on my calf when cycling, BMF still thinks a bike ride at 80-95% max heart rate is moderate activity. I used the "activity manager" for the 3 month free trial period to get a "baseline" TDEE. I am very disappointed with the product and don't recommend it to anyone.

If you want an activity tracker, get that $20 pedometer and invest in a good heart rate monitor (HRM) - I have a Polar FT4 ($60-$80) - and you will probably be better served than if you buy to $120+ BodyMedia. Disclaimer - don't know much about the Jawbone, but if their product is like the BodyMedia, I doubt I would be impressed.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm considering getting the Up3 when it comes out, has anyone maintained for a while using a Jawbone or Bodymedia? Just curious about how accurate they really are.

Have they announced when they're releasing it?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Have they announced when they're releasing it?

I didn't even know it was delayed... Still don't even know if it will require a subscription or not.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I purposely bought my UP24 in a large so I could wear it on my ankle instead of my wrist because I have a recumbent bike. Works great.