Replies

• supah11
    supah11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    supah11 wrote: »
    Careful with the Jamba Juice drinks - they are really high in calories.

I get the ones with low calorie though, are they still not safe? So getting them most of the times isn't a good thing then even if they're fruit smoothies?

Define "safe".

Safe in terms of healthy, all natural, no preservatives

Those things mean nothing when it comes to weight loss. You will lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit. Whether or not the food is "healthy" won't matter. Whether or not is is natural won't matter. The preservative level won't matter. If you consume excess calories, your body won't care if it is a juice smoothie or a slurpee, a Big Mac or an "all natural" Subway sandwich.

(What are you ordering that is free of preservatives at Subway, by the way?)

Wheat tuna all veggies included

You realize mayo usually has preservatives in it, right? There's nothing wrong with that (I mean, who wants spoiled mayo?). It seems like you're latching on to a lot of buzzwords that don't mean much ("healthy," "all natural") or don't have any impact on weight loss ("preservative free").

Anyway, as long as you account for the 480 or so calories in your 6'' tuna sub (depending on toppings) and the few hundred in your Jamba Juice, you should be fine.

Yes I am informed about the mayo etc. I mean I ordered it outside so I have no choice but to eat those too unless of course its me who prepared it. I am aware of it thanks :)

This entire thread is confusing to me. You asked if Subway was "safe" and you said your definition of "safe" was "healthy, all natural, no preservatives." So when it is pointed out that two of those terms are pretty meaningless and the food you order doesn't meet the definition of the third, you say you already knew that.

I am not sure what you are looking for in this thread. Why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to?

I'm sorry but its all good now. Got the info needed. Thanks and sorry.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I get the ones with low calorie though, are they still not safe? So getting them most of the times isn't a good thing then even if they're fruit smoothies?

Their fruit smoothies have tons of added sugar. Therefore they are very high calorie while not being filling. So make sure to carefully track your calories.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the calories posted on subway's website might not match up with the food you get there since there is lots of variability in how much food gets put on your sub by the employees.
  • supah11
    supah11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that the calories posted on subway's website might not match up with the food you get there since there is lots of variability in how much food gets put on your sub by the employees.

Okay thank u :)
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. You read things like this too much and you don't know what to eat anymore.

http://foodbabe.com/2014/02/07/subway-update/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. You read things like this too much and you don't know what to eat anymore.

"Food Babe" is crazy and often has no idea what she is talking about. Did you read her post about how microwaves turn water into "Satan water" (that is, she thinks microwaves form crystals in water that are identical to the crystals that are formed when you tell the words "Satan!" at water)?

Did you read her post about how the pressurization in airplanes is dangerous (never mind that the pressurization is simply to recreate the pressure we would be experiencing on the ground)?

She is a huge advocate of "detoxing" and other completely bogus nutritional fads. She preys on fear and under-education in science to fearmonger. I wouldn't rely on anything found in her blog unless I could verify it elsewhere.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Safe in terms of healthy, all natural, no preservatives

Subway is not all natural and no preservatives. In these terms it is better than a lot of places you could be choosing to eat. However organic food would be better in these terms.

My personal perspective: You can drive yourself crazy eating only organic foods (not to mention go broke). For me it is all a give and take. I am slowly swapping out processed foods from my diet and replacing them with "healthier and more natural" alternatives. I still eat "crappy" food on occasion though. Don't think I'll ever fully give that up. 2-3 subway sandwiches a week isn't going to effect your weight loss. And like I said - you could be eating way worse. But if you want all natural stuff your best bet is to start packing food from home...

I have no idea what Jamba Juice is....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

I have no idea what Jamba Juice is....

Really, really, really sweet smoothies.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

"Food Babe" is crazy and often has no idea what she is talking about. Did you read her post about how microwaves turn water into "Satan water" (that is, she thinks microwaves form crystals in water that are identical to the crystals that are formed when you tell the words "Satan!" at water)?

Did you read her post about how the pressurization in airplanes is dangerous (never mind that the pressurization is simply to recreate the pressure we would be experiencing on the ground)?

She is a huge advocate of "detoxing" and other completely bogus nutritional fads. She preys on fear and under-education in science to fearmonger. I wouldn't rely on anything found in her blog unless I could verify it elsewhere.

This. Food Babe drives me crazy. Some of her earlier work was legit and looked like she was actually trying to help people be healthier... But her most recent stuff is just so off the wall... I had to stop following her.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Please be kidding. No one could actually think that, right?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Food Babe is a lunatic. She's into any and every kooky "cleanse" fad around. (My favorite was the epic post about how you need to "chew" your veggie juice while juice fasting to "release the powers of the superfoods within" or some such BS.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

The post in question was taken down after attracting widespread ridicule, but a cached version is still available.
    Last by not least, Dr. Masaru Emoto, who is famous for taking pictures of various types of waters and the crystals that they formed in the book called “Hidden Messages in Water,” found water that was microwaved did not form beautiful crystals – but instead formed crystals similar to those formed when exposed to negative thoughts or beliefs. If this is happening to just water – I can only imagine what a microwave is doing to the nutrients, energy of our food and to our bodies when we consume microwaved food. For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water. This fact is probably too hokey for most people – but I wanted to include it because sometimes the things we can’t see with the naked eye or even fully comprehend could be the most powerful way to unlock spontaneous healing.

The entire post is just a load of woo woo, but the whole "Satan water" thing just takes the cake.

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/the_food_babe_took_down_her_goofy_microwave_oven_post_science_win-140892
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You should probably add Peeps to your diet to balance things out.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

The post in question was taken down after attracting widespread ridicule, but a cached version is still available.
    Last by not least, Dr. Masaru Emoto, who is famous for taking pictures of various types of waters and the crystals that they formed in the book called “Hidden Messages in Water,” found water that was microwaved did not form beautiful crystals – but instead formed crystals similar to those formed when exposed to negative thoughts or beliefs. If this is happening to just water – I can only imagine what a microwave is doing to the nutrients, energy of our food and to our bodies when we consume microwaved food. For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water. This fact is probably too hokey for most people – but I wanted to include it because sometimes the things we can’t see with the naked eye or even fully comprehend could be the most powerful way to unlock spontaneous healing.

The entire post is just a load of woo woo, but the whole "Satan water" thing just takes the cake.

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/the_food_babe_took_down_her_goofy_microwave_oven_post_science_win-140892

That's ...
    post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-Castle-speechle-iXn0.gif

I have no words.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That's ...
    post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-Castle-speechle-iXn0.gif

I have no words.

It's why I always whisper "I love you" into my glass before drinking the water. I mean, she's probably wrong, but I have to stay on the safe side.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Not all of them. The veggie ones are pretty low.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Sounds like a fun gal!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Not all of them. The veggie ones are pretty low.

The smallest size fruit+veggie one is 180 cals. That's not bad, but how many people get the smallest size of anything anymore?

• italysharon
    Options

It's why I always whisper "I love you" into my glass before drinking the water. I mean, she's probably wrong, but I have to stay on the safe side.
    [/quote]

LMAO! It is easy enough, I'm going to try it! Why stop at water though!

On another note, I'm glad to hear that food babe is nutters. I have a FB friend who is always quoting her and I feel like no food is fit to eat anymore. I just don't have time (or desire, when I do have time) to do all the research required to find out which food is healthy and which is not… which is why these forums are great.
  • italysharon
    Options
    On another note, I worked at a Jamba Juice in college… ions ago. The smoothies are really just as good if you make them with water, instead of the super sweet juice that they use. You can also just ask them to use 1/2 juice and 1/2 water in the smoothie. It seems like (I'm not sure about this one) that most of the calories come from this juice that they add since it is so sweet.