Tough confusing question

Options
A little background about me first. I am a 29 year old that would like to remain being around for his child, at the rate I was going I was going to end up over 500 lbs by the time I was 40, we will not go into specifics but the stuff I was eating and how much I was eating was really scary. It wasn't until I went to the doctor for a regular checkup and saw how much I weighed and that my blood pressure was above a safe range and my cholesterol was too high I decided to do something about it. The next day I threw all of my "junk" food out and replaced it with chicken, fruits, veggies, you know all the good stuff. I started walking on the treadmill at work and eating about 2,000 calories a day. I have since lost 28 pounds in the last 32 days and I eat around 1,200-1,400 calories per day and do the treadmill workout (says 350 calories burned) 7 days per week. Is this safe to continue? I don't feel any adverse effects. My meals consist of cheerios in the morning with a banana (11am) grilled chicken breast with lettuce tomatoes mushrooms and cheese for lunch (2pm) and some sort of healthy choice meal for dinner (530pm) I do not eat again after that. I work 2nd shift and get home around 11 every night and then do my exercise. I started off 321 lbs and I am down to 293. Should I continue this?

Replies

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely continue exercising and making good food choices, but most men need about 1800 calories a day for basic body functions. You will still lose weight eating that, don't worry.
  • GwhizzE
    GwhizzE Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes! It sounds like you're on track to a healthy life :smile:
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, I think you're eating to few calories.
  • nothingblooms
    Options
    You should absolutely continue exercising and making good food choices, but most men need about 1800 calories a day for basic body functions. You will still lose weight eating that, don't worry.

My problem has been mostly psychological possibly, but I get to a certain amount of food and I just feel full, trust me this has never happened before starting myfitnesspal. Unless I am out at a restaurant I cannot get myself to eat any more than the 1200-1400 calories. Should I stop the cardio? Is it dangerous to have a net of 900 calories?
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my opinion, 1400 calories is far to little for an active adult male, you should probably be eating around 1800-2000 calories daily. I would wager a guess that 1200-1400 calories is way below your BMR, which is bad news for your organs.

Think of it this way, your body is a car, if you only fill the tank with enough gas for 50miles but you take a 60 mile route, what's going to happen in those last 10 miles? That's what undereating does to your body. Don't end up stranded and broke down on the side of the road! EAT! :)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eat more. If you're having a hard time meeting your calorie target, try eating more calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts, or full fat dairy. You could probably switch the healthy choice meal for a more calorie dense homemade meal that you could take to work.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

1500 (or 1600, depending on who you ask)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

My problem has been mostly psychological possibly, but I get to a certain amount of food and I just feel full, trust me this has never happened before starting myfitnesspal. Unless I am out at a restaurant I cannot get myself to eat any more than the 1200-1400 calories. Should I stop the cardio? Is it dangerous to have a net of 900 calories?

I would recommend eating some higher calorie foods (nuts, avocados) so you can increase your intake. 1200-1400 sounds like too little given your stats. I'm sure more knowledgable people will be able to provide better information though.

Congrats on your loss so far and best wishes!
  • nothingblooms
    Options
    So what I am getting at, as long as I am eating 1500 calories or more it's ok to have a net of 1200 with the exercise? As far as the healthy choice meal goes I would normally would eat dinner with my residents as I am a DSP for the developmentally disabled. I brought the healthy choice meal as a way to keep track of calories, the meals we would have there were not portioned and I had no way of estimating calories. I find that if I do eat more meals with more carbs or more than I am used to I am actually a lot more hungry than I would be just eating how I have normally eaten. I am getting a fitbit one tomorrow and hope to more accurately estimate calories, as I am a little more active at this job than in the past.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You should be netting at least 1500 calories (probably more, but that's the absolute minimum for a male). Meaning that if you do 300 calories worth of exercise, you should eat 1800 calories to net 1500.

What does MFP give you for a calorie goal when you put your stats in?
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everything looks good but number of calories! I agree with maybe adding some small calorie (and nutrient) loaded additions. An avocado is about 300 calories (give or take, measure it to be sure, of course) so adding one whole avocado to your lunch salad would pretty much put you up where you want to be, plus it's DELICIOUS and it has a ton of really important nutrients that will help you stay healthy. Or add to your healthy choice meal in the evening. I eat a lot of the healthy choice, smart ones, lean cuisines for dinners and lunches. Maybe add a small snack before dinner or even a small treat each day if you want. Otherwise, you're doing amazingly well and I think it you make sure not to let yourself burn out by not eating enough and not letting yourself indulge a little every now and then you'll get to goal weight and be around for a long long time!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! How accurate is your 1200 - 1300 calories per day? Do you KNOW that's what it is? Because in your OP you said: " I started walking on the treadmill at work and eating about 2,000 calories a day. I have since lost 28 pounds in the last 32 days and I eat around 1,200-1,400 calories per day and do the treadmill workout (says 350 calories burned) 7 days per week."

So you reduced your calories already? As long as you feel good and have energy for your workouts keep it up. But, as the mantra goes around here, you first have to accurately calculate the # of calories you should be having based on your stats and then accurately weigh and measure your foods.

Keep working at it, though! Sounds like you will find success.
  • nothingblooms
    nothingblooms Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You should be netting at least 1500 calories (probably more, but that's the absolute minimum for a male). Meaning that if you do 300 calories worth of exercise, you should eat 1800 calories to net 1500.

3,400 is the normal per day to maintain MFP says 2400, and that would be at 1,000 calorie deficit. So I am eating at about a 2,000 calorie deficit per day and then exercising on top of that.
  • nothingblooms
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Congrats on your progress so far! How accurate is your 1200 - 1300 calories per day? Do you KNOW that's what it is? Because in your OP you said: " I started walking on the treadmill at work and eating about 2,000 calories a day. I have since lost 28 pounds in the last 32 days and I eat around 1,200-1,400 calories per day and do the treadmill workout (says 350 calories burned) 7 days per week."

So you reduced your calories already? As long as you feel good and have energy for your workouts keep it up. But, as the mantra goes around here, you first have to accurately calculate the # of calories you should be having based on your stats and then accurately weigh and measure your foods.

Keep working at it, though! Sounds like you will find success.

I weigh everything I eat, unless I am out and about but then again I only make smart choices. I have only managed to slip up 4 times and even then I never went over my calories, just over my cholesterol goal of 200 and sodium goal of 2,300. Yes I reduced my calories, I have always been able to lose weight rapidly in the past just never did the healthy lifestyle change that I am currently on.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    At your weight and health, I think that it is fine to keep going the way you are. Congratulations on your weight loss. You should be proud of yourself.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you need to be eating much more. You should be able to lose steadily on 2000 or more calories per day and you need them for proper nutrition. For most men, 1800 is a minimum. If you want to eat below that, it needs to be under medical supervision with a doctor/dietitian who specializes in very low calorie diets (VLCD). But you are probably much better off gradually building up your calories to a healthier range.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

3,400 is the normal per day to maintain MFP says 2400, and that would be at 1,000 calorie deficit. So I am eating at about a 2,000 calorie deficit per day and then exercising on top of that.

The MFP goal already includes a calorie deficit, so your daily deficit is larger than that.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I recommend continuing with the cardio but eat additional calories. You'll still be eating at a large deficit.
  • nothingblooms
    Options

The MFP goal already includes a calorie deficit, so your daily deficit is larger than that.

That is probably why I lost around a lb a day, lost .8 lbs since yesterday.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you fill out MFP correctly it will give you a good net amount to shoot for.

Safe weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint. Creating a massive deficit and eating below your BMR is not good for you over an extended period of time.