Muscle aches and general weakness

Options
Hello everyone...
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced soreness in the upper arms and general fatigue after being on the caloric counting for any period of time. My wife and I are both trying to lose weight and have cut our caloric intake considerably so on a typical day it is not uncommon for me to be 3-500 calories under my daily goal to lose weight and only slightly more than the recommended intake for men daily. What could be causing this...any feedback out there??

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If you entered your data in MFP correctly you dont need to eat less than thay goal they have set. The deficit is already built in. You need to eat more everyone's nutritional needs are different. You have to eat to live though.
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AmberSue09, thank you for your feedback. We are not trying to necessarily eat less than the recommended goal that is set that's just the way it is working out since we have have started eating much more healthy and lesser amounts. But we both are definitely only just covering the required calories for men and women. Maybe the 12-1300 per day is just not enough for me those days and need to bump it up...
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What is your calorie goal set by mfp? My husband and I are both losing weight using mfp. My cals are set to 1200 and his are 1960 and we have lost the same amount of weight so far. If you are having trouble reaching goal trying eating more cals dense food such as almonds, cheese(a personal favorite), peanut butter and oil when cooking.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You should be hitting that goal MFP gives you, which is probably why you're tired. Add in calorie dense foods to bring your totals up.
  • petee5854
    Options
    AmberSue, it is about the same as your husband...anywhere from 1900 to 2100 depending on the exercise I do that day... I walk over 2 miles everyday in hilly terrain during the workweek and do an upper body workout every other day...much more exercise than my wife does. I will take your advice and take in a bit more dense food...Thanks.
  • petee5854
    Options
    Malibu927, thanks for your input, too. I think you are right...I just need to make up the difference with dense foods. Thanks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    petee5854 wrote: »
    Hello everyone...
    Just wondered if anyone else has experienced soreness in the upper arms and general fatigue after being on the caloric counting for any period of time. My wife and I are both trying to lose weight and have cut our caloric intake considerably so on a typical day it is not uncommon for me to be 3-500 calories under my daily goal to lose weight and only slightly more than the recommended intake for men daily. What could be causing this...any feedback out there??

The only experience I have with muscle soreness and weakness was from when I added heavy weight lifting in. My gosh, my arms hurt and my hamstrings, and I would sometimes be more tired than usual. I started drinking a protein drink after my lifting sessions, and that seems to alleviate both the muscle soreness and the tiredness. Weight lifting creates tears in our muscles.

Oh, and meeting your calorie goals, including exercise calories, will help too. :)

• petee5854
    Options
    Thank you, SLLRunner
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First why are you eating under your recommendation? Are you eating back your exercise calories? Second, did you start a new exercise program?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If you continue to have pain in your arms along with fatigue, please contact your primary care provider to rule out any medical issues that might be contributing (not related to diet but to other concerns).

With regard to your food intake, pay attention not only to calories but the nutritional value of your foods - in addition to sufficient carbohydrates, fat, and protein, you need vitamins, minerals, etc. and also you need to stay properly hydrated. While folks on this board argue a lot about #s of calories, optimum health means getting good nutrition & this is particularly important for us older folks.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone...

Pretty sure a 75 pound bed ridden nun could whoop my *kitten* right now.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much weight you've loss. I have experienced sore upper outer arms at times throughout my weight loss. (I've lost 100+lbs) I assumed it had to do with sleeping on them and I've had a huge layer of fat there for so long my body wasn't used to it. I also got sore ribs until my body adjusted.
  • gunsnhoses
    gunsnhoses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started using mfp, and I, too, have been experiencing weakness and feel almost lethargic at times. I am a sugar addict so I have cut that almost completely out of my diet (save my one morning coffee), and I've been working out more. It was pointed out to me that I need to up my carbs to compensate for the exercise, and that you have to eat your calories allotted by mfp.
  • petee5854
    Options
    gunsnhoses, thanks for your input...yes, I have been told that not only do I need to meet my daily caloric goal, I need to "fill" in with dense foods such as peanut butter, almonds, cheese, etc for the protein. I'm in the process of that and believe I have already started feeling the difference...
  • petee5854
    Options
    mom2my4boys, thanks for your response... I have lost about 33 lbs or so in the last year as a result of walking primarily. I am trying to fill in my "extra" calories daily with more protein and so far it seems to be helping...

• petee5854
    Options

With regard to your food intake, pay attention not only to calories but the nutritional value of your foods - in addition to sufficient carbohydrates, fat, and protein, you need vitamins, minerals, etc. and also you need to stay properly hydrated. While folks on this board argue a lot about #s of calories, optimum health means getting good nutrition & this is particularly important for us older folks. [/quote]

maxit, thanks for your comment...I was planning to do just that (see a Dr if it persisted) but have made some changes to bump up the protein to help the deficit of calories some days...it seems to be helping so far. I do take vitamins and very much pay close attention to the particulars including drinking lots of water every day...definitely makes a difference, I can vouch for that...
  • petee5854
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First why are you eating under your recommendation? Are you eating back your exercise calories? Second, did you start a new exercise program?

Liftng4Lis, thanks for your comments/question... My wife and I have changed our meals and diet to reduce caloric intake to lose the weight recently and I have fallen short more days than not lately, so, hense, the soreness and fatigue have raised their ugly head. It makes sense that I need to bump the calories up with dense foods and increase the protein because I can see on the diary that it is often half the daily goal. Didn't start a new exercise program...been walking just over 2 miles per day during the week so the additional calories burned are added to the daily goal...
  • petee5854
    Options

Pretty sure a 75 pound bed ridden nun could whoop my *kitten* right now. [/quote]

Why, have you been sidetracked??
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Pain is weakness leaving our bodies
  • jennygarofalo
    jennygarofalo Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Pretty sure a 75 pound bed ridden nun could whoop my *kitten* right now.

Why, have you been sidetracked??[/quote]

I feel that way today! I am also having fatigue. I am trying to play around with the calories/exercise thing. Are YOU eating 1200 cals?