Soda!

Options
Juskiyah
Juskiyah Posts: 19 Member
every single place I have read. Has said that the soda adds to belly fat. Is that really true? Because I cannot stand in water! is Gatorade sufficient?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nope. It's bad for your teeth but that's about it. It also has a TON of sugar so obviously it isn't the healthiest option for you. Gatorade isn't bad. Just make sure to track the calories since it adds up.

Edit: Okay, well you could technically say if you drink too much soda and go over your calorie allotment, you will gain weight which could show up in your stomach. I don't think that's what you are referring to though.
  • Juskiyah
    Options
    I have this jiggly fat on my stomach from having my son and I just need it TO GO AWAY!
  • techgal128
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Juskiyah wrote: »
    I have this jiggly fat on my stomach from having my son and I just need it TO GO AWAY!

Well, you are in the right place. First of all, are you sure it's fat and not excess skin or something? I've never been pregnant so I'm not the best person to ask. Sounds like you might want to focus on some weight training. That will tone you up nicely.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Soda is very bad. Soda has empty calories and TONS of sugar. Gatorade does as well. I suggest flavored water. Or that thing that has zero calories that you squeeze into water for flavor, water enhancer. Use as much as you want when you start using it then little by little, wean yourself off of it until you are just drinking water. Of course you can take your time with the weaning because flavour enhancers have little to no calories.Up until a few months ago, I never used to drink water and now i have 12-14 glasses a day.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Soda does have more than its fair share of haters. It's not terrible. It's just not nutritious, is acidic, and those calories don't do anything for you. Once I realized what it was doing to my calorie count, I decided I'd rather eat those calories than drink them, so I phased it out, save for a 20 oz bottle on weekends. It's up to you whether it's worth it to keep it or not.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You are an adult. You need to drink water… Whether you like it or not.

Try adding fresh fruit to the water.
  • Juskiyah
    Options
    Ok i will keep that in mind! Thanks ladies!!
  • rrhood78
    rrhood78 Posts: 12
    Options
    I thought it would be hard to go without the sodas but it actually hasn't been that bad. I have replaced it with tea. I still have one as a treat every now and then. Moderation. You could also try sizing down. Get the baby cokes as a treat.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Because I cannot stand in water! is Gatorade sufficient?

ahfbl8b6c3id.jpg

• Juskiyah
    Options
  • gamesandgains
    Options
    Killin me, girl! You can't stand water? For real? lol. What about flavoring it? Mio has good water flavors.
  • Juskiyah
    Options
    I drink flavored water but I meat tap water.. Or maybe I need to head to the store and stop being cheap lol @gamesandgains‌
  • techgal128
    Options
    I recommend sweet tea Mio. It's sooo good.
  • smh21183
    smh21183 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to be a soda fanatic. I had one soda a day and thought I was being good. I suggest you research all that is in your soda. Some soda's have harmful additives that are found in things like batteries and tend to have lots of acids. And, they are so bad for your teeth.

Doing all this research really killed my need for soda cold turkey. I couldn't believe the stuff I was putting in my body. But really, in moderation soda isn't so bad.

Adding fruit really helps! I always have a lemon in my water. It helps give it some flavor. Keeping it ice cold helps me drink it, too. Plus, once you start drinking it, you learn to really like it. I practically only drink water now, and am proud to say that I have been soda free for 3 weeks!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Try doing some strength training.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If it's just tap water, get a filter for your tap, or a filtered jug for your fridge.

I mean, drink whatever you want, but if you are trying to lose weight, and drinking a lot of calories, that's even fewer calories that you can have at meals. Like, those are your calories that could be pizza or steak or cheesecake or something, and you want Gatorade?
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I also hate drinking plain water. I drink a lot of decaff tea or flavoured water.
  • gamesandgains
    Options
    Buy one of these. Range from $25-40. Well worth it.

ho3n1syussey.jpg
  • techgal128
    Options
    If it's just tap water, get a filter for your tap, or a filtered jug for your fridge.

I mean, drink whatever you want, but if you are trying to lose weight, and drinking a lot of calories, that's even fewer calories that you can have at meals. Like, those are your calories that could be pizza or steak or cheesecake or something, and you want Gatorade?

Hey hey, this is a FITNESS forum. We don't talk about delicious food here! :p
  • Hotshoe1200
    Hotshoe1200 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I've never been a water fan, but here's what I do:

Try buying some bottled water, but as you drink them, refill the bottles with filtered tap water. (I actually like our tap water so no filter necessary.) The nice thing about refilling the bottles is that you can take them out of the fridge nice and cold, and they also make it easy to count your water consumption.

Another thing to try is to always drink as much water as you can during and after your workouts. Plain water goes down pretty well when you're hot and sweaty. I used to make myself drink one bottle of water before I allowed myself to have a diet Coke. (More on diet Coke at the bottom.)

I've been using flavor enhancers to some of my water during the day. I like the Crystal Light, the MiO, even Jolly Rancher Watermelon!

You didn't say how long it's been since you had your son, but time will take care of some of the loose, jiggly skin, as will diet and exercise.

Lastly, and this is the hardest thing of all, try giving up the other drinks. I am in the process of giving up diet Coke. I only did it because of a case of gastritis, which has now cleared up. I was pretty much pop-free from January 1 to the end of February. I'm over the worst of the withdrawal, but there's the psychological part to deal with. There are times of the day when I think how much more productive I'd be if I could have a nice can of diet Coke while I work. Of if I'm hungry at night, a diet Coke would be a better snack. (I don't like to drink my calories either.)

Hope some of that will help you.