I can't get enough fat!!

Options
hello lovely people,
I'm wondering what you all do to get your daily fat? I'm hitting over on my carbs, with no bread, pasta, or other complex carbs besides a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, it's frustrating. While falling way short of my fats, I have no idea how to balance this out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I saute in oil, I eat nuts, I use oil in salad dressings. I sometimes add coconut to smoothies.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What things are you eating to go over on carbs without bread, pasta, etc.? Are you eating a lot of fruit? Fruit is mostly sugar (carbs) with some fiber (carbs). Instead of a serving of fruit have some raw veggies with full fat ranch dressing, or guacamole (avocados are high in fat) or a dip made from full fat Greek yogurt. Use butter. Use olive oil. Eat nuts, full fat dairy products and beef.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You are ideally placed to introduce healthy fats into your diet but adding nuts, olive oil, and other similar fats to your diet. Would that I were in your position. I'm always getting too much saturated fat. Cheese calls to me!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How much extra do you need? I take omega 3 fish oil caps in the morning, about 20 calories. Many benefits from getting enough omega

You can do flax oil as well if you're not into the fish.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    more nuts , salmon, coconut butter and oil, olive oil, butter, avocado, eggs with yolk and bacon or low sodium sausage.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    ribeye steak /thread
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Most of my fat intake is from nuts, seeds, avocado and oil and vinegar dressings.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions above. I'll also add that you can take a look at any foods you're eating now and swap out "diet" or "low-fat" versions for the higher fat options. Things like dairy or meat, especially, we tend to go for the lowest calorie options and end up cutting out a lot of fat because of it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    What things are you eating to go over on carbs without bread, pasta, etc.? Are you eating a lot of fruit? Fruit is mostly sugar (carbs) with some fiber (carbs). Instead of a serving of fruit have some raw veggies with full fat ranch dressing, or guacamole (avocados are high in fat) or a dip made from full fat Greek yogurt. Use butter. Use olive oil. Eat nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy products and beef.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone mentioned peanut butter yet?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters (peanut, cashew, almond)
    Eggs
    Steak
    Ground beef
    Fatty fish (salmon)
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Full fat yogurt
    Full fat milk
    Full fat cheese
    Full fat butter
    Flax seed
    Chia seeds
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Add butter to your oatmeal....add butter to anything.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, what are your stats? My initial guess is that your Calorie goal is likely too low, if you're over on carbs, but under on fat consistently. But that's only a guess.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    ribeye steak /thread
    tumblr_mondzqNSwq1swqiiio1_500.gif

butter, dressing, nuts, oils, fatty meats, cheeses, nut butters.

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Coconut, avocado, butter, grass fed meats, wild caught fish, nuts...the list goes on. Do not fear fat!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, of course! Also...whole eggs, meats, cheeses, avocados, cooking oil, butter, nuts, etc.
  • jessalynmilford501
    Options
    You guys are fabulous!!
    I've only just started using this particular app, so my diary wouldn't help yet, but I'll give you an example, using what I've got so far today (which is a bit different from other days because I'm trying to make the changes).
    Today my daily goals are:
    Fat-51g
    Carbs-189g
    Protein-76g (I never have a problem with this)
    Calories-1350

Breakfast: oatmeal w 1tbsp sunflower seed butter & half a cup of apple cubes.
    Snack: 100g Greek yogurt & banana
    Lunch: 1/3 cup of chicken breast, 2 cups mixed salad (romaine, carrot, celery, cucumber, broccoli) with 1 tbsp California style dressing. 1/2 cup cooked beets, 1/2 cup green/yellow beans.

So far I'm at:
    Fat: 17g
    Carbs: 101g
    Protein: 36g

I'm finding it difficult to keep it balanced. I still need A LOT of fat today.

All of your suggestions are great, I will add more milk, butter, nut butter, seeds/seed butter to my life and see how that goes!

I definitely don't eat much fruit, usually just two servings in the morning for breakfast and snack, and as you can see I eat loads of veggies.

Can anyone offer any advice on balancing this?

Thanks again, you're awesome!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters (peanut, cashew, almond)
    Eggs
    Steak
    Ground beef
    Fatty fish (salmon)
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Full fat yogurt
    Full fat milk
    Full fat cheese
    Full fat butter
    Flax seed
    Chia seeds

All of these. (my favorite things) plus avocados and olives.

• jessalynmilford501
    Options
    I'm definitely not afraid of fat, I just don't know how to get enough! :smile:
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Add cheese to your salad. I love feta on mine.