what to do when the cravings hit?

Options
2»

Replies

• thechicagogal
    thechicagogal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lol, you're totally right. don't have the temptation in the house in the first place. i suppose if i start there it would greatly decrease the opportunity to spin out of control. i guess i need to stop grocery shopping when hungry.

This, too. I always eat before going grocery shopping. I always stop by IHOP and have lunch right before I go. IHOP is generally a nutritional desert, but I figure that wasting 1000 calories on one day at IHOP is better than wasting more on chips, Oreos, strawberries with Nutella, veggie straws, chicharrones, cream soda, and an entire f-ing bag of peanut butter cups in a week. Eating some crap first prevents me from buying a whole bunch of other crap at the store.[/quote]

Strawberries with nutella??? I like the way your mind works.

• thechicagogal
    Options
    My secret weapons for cravings: Salty = Roasted Seaweed. Sweet = Two Dates. It's a one-two punch that works every time for me. Try 'em!

I'm always looking for the salty/sweet combo. I usually have bananas and chips. terrible, i know. I will def have to try your healthier salty/sweet alternative.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a problem when I'm at home and I'm either procrastinating doing something or just bored (like I don't have enough to do). I just need to keep moving. I figure this: either I can have a clean house and be slim or a dirty house and be chunky. Sometimes that's enough to keep my hands out of the cupboard, sometimes it takes more, like sucking on a hard candy or drinking mint tea, or even googling what I'm hungry for and then after being swamped with different variations of what I want and wanting to try them all, I realize I am actually not even hungry =P
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If the craving is strong, it doesn't go away until I have a little. I log it, and adjust my remaining daily calories.
  • thechicagogal
    Options
    amyj514 wrote: »
    I have a problem when I'm at home and I'm either procrastinating doing something or just bored (like I don't have enough to do). I just need to keep moving. I figure this: either I can have a clean house and be slim or a dirty house and be chunky. Sometimes that's enough to keep my hands out of the cupboard, sometimes it takes more, like sucking on a hard candy or drinking mint tea, or even googling what I'm hungry for and then after being swamped with different variations of what I want and wanting to try them all, I realize I am actually not even hungry =P

I like your idea of staying in motion. you're right in that you're not even really hungry. just keep myself engaged in something and it will pass.
  • deanie001
    deanie001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am good at watching what I eat during the day, it's another story when I get home.
    Afterwork, I indulge myself with a small snack, healthy or not, and then drink lots of water. That usually takes care of my cravings. I can then concentrate on preparing dinner. I have one serving size of each item and drink lots of water. This routine keeps me from pigging out on snacks and from over-eating at dinner. I exercise several days a week also. This routine seems to work very well for me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Measure out what you are going to eat and log it in your diary before eating.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, eat chips out of the bag.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are brainstorming a solution already. That's one of the keys to long-term success IMO, is recognizing a problem, brainstorming a solution, then giving it a try.

For after work hungries, I save my afternoon snack to just before I leave work. You might also try having better choices like cut-up veggies ready to go in the refrigerator.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options

This^^

I drink a glass of water (or iced tea) when I have a hankering for something that doesn't fit my goals and distract myself for 10-15 minutes after (reading, cleaning, playing with dog, etc.) You'd be surprised. Half the time I get a glass of water, end up doing my 10-15 minute distraction for an hour, and completely forget that I was craving something to start with.
  • thechicagogal
    Options

Hmmmm, I like this. I will try it your way. No more chips straight from the bag!
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    Do something to get you off the couch and distract you for a couple minutes, such as taking the dog outside if you have one), getting a drink of water from the kitchen, or even just running up and down the stairs a couple times. It helps to remove yourself from the food that is triggering you to overeat, and find a distraction. Something that engages your mind is always a good option, like reading or a crossword puzzle, because then you aren't thinking about the food.

Also, another option when you have a strong craving or are starting to overeat is to go brush your teeth! The minty taste will help brake the craving and then the food will no longer taste good right after having toothpaste in your mouth!
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If i want something salty, like chips i make this:
    Cucumber Dill Salad
    2 large cucumbers (or about 4-5 of the mini cucumbers i like them because they are crunchier)
    1 package cherry tomatoes
    1/2 cup of lite no sugar added reduced sodium RICE vinegar
    generous few dashes of dill weed herbs
    garlic powder
    generous amount of black pepper
    few small dashes of salt free cajun seasoning

Mix it all up and let sit for about 5 mins. This REALLY hits my salty/tangy spot and has very few calories. Its good in a container in the fridge for about 2 days max so its okay to eat some then and save some for a snack the next day (After that the veggies tend to get mushy).
  • MaryM103
    MaryM103 Posts: 9
    Options
    I drink hot tea usually (: it makes me feel fuller, and it's still very yummy.