HRM or other fitness technology?

Options
i was looking into purchasing some time of watch or tracker...I like the idea of a HRM because it gives a more accurate calorie burn number than MFP.

but, I also like the idea of seeing how many steps I take in a day and see how much I burn all day.

But I have also heard issues with HRM's like Polar with issues of syncing/connecting as well as other technical problems.

Any suggestions? There are so many choices!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ...I like the idea of a HRM because it gives a more accurate calorie burn number than MFP.

There are 8 billion MFP posts explaining why that isn't so.

Especially for walking....

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A HRM would be more for activities vs all day wear though. So you can use both.

Everything is a guess and check. There is no easy way to say "today you burned x amount of caloires" and have it be spot on. Use a combination of tools and find what works for you if you want. I use a HRM successfully for activities people claim they can't possibly work for (HITT, etc).

Be consistent in how you measure and what you log. Do it for a few weeks. If you are losing weight than keep doing what you are doing.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Everything is a guess and check. There is no easy way to say "today you burned x amount of caloires" and have it be spot on. Use a combination of tools and find what works for you if you want. I use a HRM successfully for activities people claim they can't possibly work for (HITT, etc).

Be consistent in how you measure and what you log. Do it for a few weeks. If you are losing weight than keep doing what you are doing.

Based on " I use a HRM successfully for activities people claim they can't possibly work for (HITT, etc)" it seems you consider inaccurate numbers to be a success. No HRM can accurately estimate calories from HIIT (assuming what you're doing is actually HIIT, not merely interval training) due to the science behind the devices.
  • esjones12
    Options

Based on " I use a HRM successfully for activities people claim they can't possibly work for (HITT, etc)" it seems you consider inaccurate numbers to be a success. No HRM can accurately estimate calories from HIIT (assuming what you're doing is actually HIIT, not merely interval training) due to the science behind the devices.

Success = weight loss.....sorry did I need to clarify that? Perhaps the first two sentences were unclear....
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Success = weight loss.....sorry did I need to clarify that? Perhaps the first two sentences were unclear....

So you didn't use the HRM successfully for something it cannot possibly do ... you lost weight in spite of inaccuracies.
  • esjones12
    Options

So you didn't use the HRM successfully for something it cannot possibly do ... you lost weight in spite of inaccuracies.

Seriously, we are going to gripe about wording? I used a HRM as a tool in combination with other tools (like MFP) to successfully lose weight. Who gives a crap if the HRM is a few calories off? Your food labels are not 100% accurate. I made adjustments along the way to find what worked to successfully lose weight. Like I said in my original post: Everything is a guess and check.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Seriously, we are going to gripe about wording? I used a HRM as a tool in combination with other tools (like MFP) to successfully lose weight. Who gives a crap if the HRM is a few calories off? Your food labels are not 100% accurate. I made adjustments along the way to find what worked to successfully lose weight. Like I said in my original post: Everything is a guess and check.

It isn't a gripe about wording. It is pointing out a claim (successful use of a HRM for HIIT calculation) that is wrong. There is a difference in the two. The SCIENCE behind HRMs is why they are inaccurate for things like HIIT (again, assuming what you did was actually HIIT). That SCIENCE applies to all HRMs and all users.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There is a pretty significant difference between MFP's said calorie burns, compared to when I use a HRM. I use a Polar HRM, and it is the best money I've ever spent.
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What is the best inexpensive HRM?
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

It isn't a gripe about wording. It is pointing out a claim (successful use of a HRM for HIIT calculation) that is wrong. There is a difference in the two. The SCIENCE behind HRMs is why they are inaccurate for things like HIIT (again, assuming what you did was actually HIIT). That SCIENCE applies to all HRMs and all users.

I've also used my HRM to successfully lose weight while doing HIIT. The number it provides is ballpark enough of a number to work with. No one is saying it's 100% accurate. As she said above there is no true way of knowing the accurate number. The best we can do is ballpark. I compare my HRM number with MFP, and online calculators and my HRM is usually the lowest of the three. So I use that number. If I feel it's high I knock off another 20% or so to be safe. So yes what she is saying is correct. Even though the science behind the HRM isn't designed for HIIT you can successfully use it to lose weight if you are smart about it and understand that the number is ballpark.

For instance a round of Insanity Pure Cardio is 40 minutes. At my height, weight, and age I've had calculators tell me I've burned anywhere from 400-700 calories doing it. Even calculators geared for Insanity. MFP will tell me 400-450. My HRM is like 330-380. So I go with that number. I find MFP is consistently higher then my HRM.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    luv_lea wrote: »
    There is a pretty significant difference between MFP's said calorie burns, compared to when I use a HRM. I use a Polar HRM, and it is the best money I've ever spent.

Which is accurate, if either, largely depends on what activity you're doing.

For tracking HR data, any constant read HRM (either chest strap or newer optical such as Mio Alpha) works.

For calorie estimation, how close to accurate they come depends on what you do. They are not accurate for intervals (including HIIT), yoga, lifting, dance, walking, etc. For steady state cardio (running with gradual transitions or constant effort, rowing, steady cycling) they can approach accurate estimates. Most devices report gross, not net, calories expended.
  • Soundwave79
    Options

I don't know if it's the best but I use the Polar FT4 and I like it. Sometimes you can catch it on Amazon for less then $50 but typically around that price.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lapre79 wrote: »

Even though the science behind the HRM isn't designed for HIIT you can successfully use it to lose weight if you are smart about it and understand that the number is ballpark.

Couldn't you just pick a number out of thin air and still accomplish the same thing?

• brianpperkins
    Options

I've also used my HRM to successfully lose weight while doing HIIT. The number it provides is ballpark enough of a number to work with. No one is saying it's 100% accurate. As she said above there is no true way of knowing the accurate number. The best we can do is ballpark. I compare my HRM number with MFP, and online calculators and my HRM is usually the lowest of the three. So I use that number. If I feel it's high I knock off another 20% or so to be safe. So yes what she is saying is correct. Even though the science behind the HRM isn't designed for HIIT you can successfully use it to lose weight if you are smart about it and understand that the number is ballpark.

For instance a round of Insanity Pure Cardio is 40 minutes. At my height, weight, and age I've had calculators tell me I've burned anywhere from 400-700 calories doing it. Even calculators geared for Insanity. MFP will tell me 400-450. My HRM is like 330-380. So I go with that number. I find MFP is consistently higher then my HRM.

Losing weight is based on caloric deficit .. nothing more. Your HRM is inaccurate for HIIT (not that an activity you can do in intervals for 40 minutes is HIIT ... that is merely interval training). By your own admission you picked the lowest of the caloric burn estimates presented to you. Nowhere is there an analysis of which is correct ... if any is.

HIIT is exertion periods at over 95% of LTHR ... often exceeding 100% ... transitioning to anaerobic activity. Commercial HRMs, especially low end ones such as the FT4 and FT7, do not accurately estimate caloric burns from such activity ... just like they don't accurately estimate burns from yoga, lifting, low intensity activities like walking.
  • Soundwave79
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Even though the science behind the HRM isn't designed for HIIT you can successfully use it to lose weight if you are smart about it and understand that the number is ballpark.

Couldn't you just pick a number out of thin air and still accomplish the same thing?

Could you? Perhaps with enough trial and error you would eventually get there. But it wasn't working for me. I was using online calculators and looking at what other people were logging for similar activities and I was still way over estimating my cals burned. Wasn't until I got the HRM that I realized how much I was overestimating.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you want to use a combo hrm and step counter then you need to get either the fitbit charge hr or fitbit surge. Sure they are a little pricey at $149 and $249 a piece but they work and work well. I use the Surge and an very satisfied, especially as it has an "app" where you can log either workout, yoga, pilates, spinning, walking, jogging, weights, circuit training, elliptical, and stairclimber (you choose which of 7 exercise you do most) and it logs it into your fitbit account. You have your myfitnesspal and fitbit accts linked and synced up and it logs everything. Hope this helps.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I really like it, I've never had any problems with it. But it is only for actual exercise, not something to be worn all day. If you want to track steps and that kind of stuff for a whole day, you'd be better off with a FitBit or something similar.

That said, I don't trust the accuracy of a FibBit for monitoring all day calorie burn, they seem to overestimate a lot, based on the experience of friends and co-workers.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Usually found in life that those 2 words don't go together - best and inexpensive.

My gym shirt that I don't care if it degrades in a month of washing being the exception perhaps.

Most chest HRM's are EKG accurate now - if all you want is a HR reading to base workout levels on for specific training.
    That's not the interest of vast majority though.

Most want it for estimating calorie burn it seems.
    A nice Polar that actually has self-test and required stats you can test and change is best for calorie burn.
    The cheaper Polars, and lots of other cheaper HRM's, make some big assumptions to estimate those stats, and can be very off.
    Though even the nicer Polar's can be too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Unless it's changed, cheapest Polar is the FT60 or FT80 or RS300X that has those stats.
  • Soundwave79
    Options

Losing weight is based on caloric deficit .. nothing more. Your HRM is inaccurate for HIIT (not that an activity you can do in intervals for 40 minutes is HIIT ... that is merely interval training). By your own admission you picked the lowest of the caloric burn estimates presented to you. Nowhere is there an analysis of which is correct ... if any is.

HIIT is exertion periods at over 95% of LTHR ... often exceeding 100% ... transitioning to anaerobic activity. Commercial HRMs, especially low end ones such as the FT4 and FT7, do not accurately estimate caloric burns from such activity ... just like they don't accurately estimate burns from yoga, lifting, low intensity activities like walking.

Again I understand what they were designed for and what they are accurate at tracking. But the way I am using it has allowed me to find semi decent ballpark numbers for me to work with doing HIT (home interval training) (Is that an acceptable acronym for Insanity??)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Or work out a really contrived way os stopping and starting it at arbitrary points in the activity, then only eating b ack a prtion of the calories logged anyway.

Plucking a number out of thin air does seem easier, but if one has spent the money on a toy then find a way to use it ;)