Protein shakes as a meal replacement?

Options
2»

Replies

• louise29121984
    louise29121984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I started on phd diet whey protein yesterday. Morning is a shake and a apple, lunch is a shake yogurt banana and honey then a healthy dinner. I probably add a snack tomorrow as I work in a restaurant so it's going to be tough x
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't find them filling and prefer to eat actual food. Once in awhile I enjoy a smoothie, but I don't see it being a good idea to rely on them for the long-term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Protein shakes are a protein supplement not a meal replacement.

Just belaboring this point....

there are actual shakes designed as meal replacements...protein shakes are just protein...your meal should consist of more than just protein. A protein shake is a piss poor replacement for a meal.
  • jpcsnurse
    jpcsnurse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im using Garden Life Raw Meal replacement i add spinach carrots fruit and it keeps me full.
  • imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    Options

What sort do you put in the smoothies? Sorry I'm completely new to this x

My fav veggies are carrots, zucchini squash and spinach. Though if you are just starting I would recommend start with spinach. For fruits I use whatever I have which is usually strawberries, blueberries, or frozen fruit mixes
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a protein shake everyday for lunch. I don't know what to call it as i add bits and pieces to it. Mine consists of:

Scoop of chocolate protein powder
    Banana
    Baby Spinach
    Chia seeds
    wheatgerm
    Fibre Powder
    Raw egg
    Blueberries
    Almond coconut milk
    Peanut Butter
    And sometimes i add cottage cheese.

Meal replacement, protein shake, meal???? I don't know lol
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I used to drink one for breakfast if I overslept, but I would eat when I got out of class an hour later. Now I am considering buying a protein shake to replace soda/frappes because it has less calories.
  • cai1961
    cai1961 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use it as a meal replacement, but make sure you have vegetables in it as well. If I have it in the morning I use whey protein, almond milk, natural peanut butter, banana and chia seeds. I also have spinach, strawberries, banana etc. I make a lot of different ones. For lunch protein shake, spinach,,cucumbers, celery, ginger, chia seeds, almond milk. The possibilities are endless..good luck
  • louise29121984
    louise29121984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The one I'm using is phd diet whey women meal replacement and is designed for meal replacement...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Protein shake works great for breakfast. I am really not a breakfast eater otherwise. I make mine with cold coffee rather than water.
  • Giantsfanatic4life
    Giantsfanatic4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use them to replace my dinner for the most part. I have to go to bed so early that I don't want to have a full meal before I go to sleep. I do make sure to eat breakfast, lunch and some snacks as well to get all my calories in for the day. It thankfully fills me up after my workout and keeps me full for the couple of hours before bed.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use herbalife Sport usually just for lunch I think its really helped my weight loss
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I typically eat eggs for breakfast. But, sometimes, I just want a shake. So I make one with protein powder, milk, and a banana. Sometimes - depending on flavor of powder - I'll throw in some frozen berries.

As long as the rest of your diet (macros, micros, and Calorie totals) are good, protein shakes are fine as meal replacements.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie every workday morning. I have a hard time eating first thing in the morning, so I can mix it up and take it to work for me. I put in ice, frozen berries, protein powder, and orange juice. It's delicious, but I always have a snack between my smoothie and lunch as well.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a smoothie after my workouts (which are usually after dinner), protein powder, banana and peanut butter (ice and almond milk). If I have enough time in the morning I like to have my post-workout smoothie for breakfast. If I could I'd have them more often but I can't really bring my blender to work. Lol. I've also had: cherries, raspberries, strawberries, ice, and orange juice... mmmm so good. :) I never use those as a meal replacement (maybe snack replacement) though, because I am an eater and they don't fill me up enough to keep Hangry Lisa away. :smiley:
  • allywalker23
    allywalker23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am using Isagenix also, I've seen a couple of people on here stat that they too are also using it. I love it! It honestly keeps me full and satisfied and it really doesn't taste bad!
  • KymberlyGiudici
    KymberlyGiudici Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys! Think it might actually turn out that I have an allergy to something in the one that I use! Come up with a blochy rash and it's the only thing different I can think off!

Well back to the drawing board!!!

So what do you guys and gals have for breakfast?

Herbalife has an Allergen Free mix that I use. (I have a very long list of things I cant have including eggs, milk, whey, soy, gluten, oats... and more). I dont use it as a "meal replacement", exactly, but as more of a way to get in a lot of my nutrients that I would otherwise have a hard time getting with my food restrictions. It is very filling, though, and about 280 calories for the "snickerdoodle" flavored one (2 cups ice, 1 cup rice milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 scoops of allergen free mix, and 2 tbsp of sugar free cookie dough flavored syrup by Torani).

• misskenzie63
    Options
    I use GNC total lean, lean shake 25. It's a 25g high protein shake. Tastes good! Comes in many flavors. It's about $40 some for 29.3 oz. I've tried every kind of protein shake & none of them worked like this. I have low blood sugar & the rest made it drop, this holds me through the two meals needed to be skipped. I've lost 5 lbs by my second now week. It works if you workout with it & eat your only meal for the day high in protein. I eat snacks too like apples, bananas, string cheese.. They give you a neat recipe on the back too if you'd like to blend it with more foods. (:
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been having shakes for lunch (which I usually have between 1-3) and they fill me up. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. New to protein powders so looking to expand my shake horizon.