Sunday Meal Prep

What do you cook up/ prepare on Sundays to make your week easier?

I have started to:

dice up a red, yellow, and orange pepper
dice an onion
hard boil 6 eggs
cook ground chicken with taco seasoning and chopped mushrooms

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, cranberries and apples made in my rice cooker. Homemade turkey breakfast sausage and vegetable egg patties. (I make both of those dishes every other week and freeze individual servings.) Grilled chicken for quick salads and protein add ins. Hard boiled eggs (I bake them). Mexican ground turkey meat. I weigh out 1.5 ounce portions of deli meat so I can just grab them and throw them in my lunch.
  • Steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, cranberries and apples made in my rice cooker. Homemade turkey breakfast sausage and vegetable egg patties. (I make both of those dishes every other week and freeze individual servings.) Grilled chicken for quick salads and protein add ins. Hard boiled eggs (I bake them). Mexican ground turkey meat. I weigh out 1.5 ounce portions of deli meat so I can just grab them and throw them in my lunch.

Thanks!! Can you share your homemade turkey sausage recipe?
  • debrakgoogins
    edited March 2015
    Of course. It takes a ton of different spices but once you have them, they last quite a while and you can make so many of your own spice combinations like taco seasoning, chili seasoning, gyro spice, etc. I like spicy sausage - if you like a sweeter breakfast sausage, eliminate the crushed red pepper, chili powder and cayenne and add 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
    - 1 tsp sea salt
    - 2 tsp ground sage
    - 1 tsp fennel seed
    - 1 tsp thyme
    - 1 tsp black pepper
    - 1 tsp crushed red pepper
    - 1/2 tsp white pepper
    - 1/2 tsp cayenne
    - 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    - 1/4 tsp chili powder
    - 1/8 tsp cloves
    - 1/8 tsp nutmeg
    - 1/8 tsp allspice
    Add all of the above to 1 pound ground turkey. You can make it into patties or just crumble it and cook it ahead of time. To make my egg sandwiches, I add diced all color peppers, chopped spinach, 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar and 10 whole eggs. Bake them at 350 for 20 minutes. It makes 12 egg patties. (I freeze them in a muffin top pan for perfect bagel sized patties.) I also make a homemade sweet italian turkey sausage for pasta sauce and casseroles. If you would like that spice combination, let me know.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    That turkey sausage sounds fabulous. Thank you for posting the recipe, Debra!
    On Sundays, I batch cook for the week and have lots of extra to put in the freezer in individual portions. This is what I cooked one Sunday recently:
    Oven grilled chicken breast, several flavors (onion, garlic, balsamic, Italian)
    Oven grilled turkey burgers
    Oven grilled black bean burgers
    Mini turkey meatloafs (loaded with carrots, onions, green pepper)
    Steamed broccoli
    Steamed spinach
    steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrot mix
    roasted brussel sprouts
    Steamed shrimp
    Taco-seasoned ground turkey
    Crockpot cheesy chicken chili
    Crockpot chicken Mexicali
    breakfast egg white egg cups - spinach & mushroom; broccoli
    hard-boiled eggs
    brown rice
    whole wheat couscous
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    This is my freezer on a monday morning. Breakfast burritos, chicken/avocado/greek yogurt burritos, roasted red pepper sauce for quick dinner, cooked rice for fried rice, a few crock pot meals like broccoli and chicken, honey Bbq chicken, and Mongolian beef. I also cut up veggies and hard boil eggs for the fridge. My hubby gets home at 6 so it's important for me to make dinner quick and easy but still from scratch, because I don't get home until 730.j58az8jqzgpn.jpg
  • debrakgoogins
    This is a great website to give you ideas on meal prep:
    http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com
  • keenercam wrote: »
    That turkey sausage sounds fabulous. Thank you for posting the recipe, Debra!
    On Sundays, I batch cook for the week and have lots of extra to put in the freezer in individual portions. This is what I cooked one Sunday recently:
    Oven grilled chicken breast, several flavors (onion, garlic, balsamic, Italian)
    Oven grilled turkey burgers
    Oven grilled black bean burgers
    Mini turkey meatloafs (loaded with carrots, onions, green pepper)
    Steamed broccoli
    Steamed spinach
    steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrot mix
    roasted brussel sprouts
    Steamed shrimp
    Taco-seasoned ground turkey
    Crockpot cheesy chicken chili
    Crockpot chicken Mexicali
    breakfast egg white egg cups - spinach & mushroom; broccoli
    hard-boiled eggs
    brown rice
    whole wheat couscous

Please do share this Mini Turket Meatloaf recipe?!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I cook the following:

Breakfast: all of the below is scrambled together
    -2 egg white subs
    -2 egg subs
    -1 whole egg
    -1 serving of turkey breakfast sausage
    -a handful of spinach
    -a handful of kale
    -some mushroom
    -minced garlic to taste

Snack:
    -Cucumber tomato salad in balsamic vinegar
    -I also take a package of tuna or salmon per day to eat with the salad
    -Also take a sleeve of ritz crackers to work with me incase I want a couple with my snack

Lunch:
    -5.2 ounces of cooked cabbage
    -150 grams of cooked chicken
    -3 servings of frozen broccoli
    -1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil on top of the broccoli

There is some "prep" I do during the week. Each evening, I make a chia pudding to eat in addition to the breakfast above. It is best made in the evening and allowed to sit overnight before eating in the AM.

Chia Pudding:
    -2 tablespoons of chia seeds
    -1 tablespoon PB2
    -1/2 cup of milk

It isn't super exciting, but it's easy and allows me to know what I'm eating. Sometimes I change up what protein I have at lunch (chicken thighs, pork loin, turkey breast).
  • debrakgoogins
    This past Sunday I added a few new dishes to my make ahead plan. I threw two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast into the crock pot with no salt added chicken stock and Mexican spices. When it was done, I shredded it up and made green chili chicken enchiladas and chicken, black bean and corn burritos. I made up spicy quinoa and brown rice Spanish rice. I can make quick lunch combos for busy days and everything heated up very well in the microwave.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member

Please do share this Mini Turket Meatloaf recipe?!

I make one too - I use this recipe Basic Meatloaf but I swap out the celery for mushrooms and spinach (I add more), and remove some of the breadcrumb, then bake in mini muffin or regular muffin tins.