What to do when your not hungry??

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Try lifting, I can't even explain how hungry I am after I get down.

Ah!! This^
    I'm ravenous after a good heavy lifting workout!
  • nat1908
    nat1908 Posts: 23
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This OP says she is not hungry. Which means possibly she is ignoring her body's singals if it does give her a hungry pang or two (which is possible because I used to do this) or her appetite is suppressed (meds, stress, etc...)

There is a lot of questions to ask in regards to her goals to loose XXXX pounds and this hungry question she is asking...

Is this hungry thing something new? Is she making her self "not hungry" to loose weight and just not eat?

But there are real people that are NOT hungry you just don't eat. Making your self eat when not hungry is sometimes impossible.

I am sorry about being blunt... but need to know more to understand if the XXX number of pounds is current weight loss goal and why not hungry now....

I would say that it is fairly new. In the beginning of changing my eating habits to healthier, cleaner eating I would get hungry more often my body was not used to it. But now my body has adapted, believe me I chose healthy foods to eat, maybe just not enough of it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Ah!! This^

Ditto. Last night was insane.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    nat1908 wrote: »
    This OP says she is not hungry. Which means possibly she is ignoring her body's singals if it does give her a hungry pang or two (which is possible because I used to do this) or her appetite is suppressed (meds, stress, etc...)

There is a lot of questions to ask in regards to her goals to loose XXXX pounds and this hungry question she is asking...

Is this hungry thing something new? Is she making her self "not hungry" to loose weight and just not eat?

But there are real people that are NOT hungry you just don't eat. Making your self eat when not hungry is sometimes impossible.

I am sorry about being blunt... but need to know more to understand if the XXX number of pounds is current weight loss goal and why not hungry now....

I would say that it is fairly new. In the beginning of changing my eating habits to healthier, cleaner eating I would get hungry more often my body was not used to it. But now my body has adapted, believe me I chose healthy foods to eat, maybe just not enough of it.

To the OP, I am glad that you responded.

It sounds to me that there could be several things at bay here...

1) Your body is "speaking" to you louder and you are noticing. In some cases your body is really thirsty and try to drink instead and this does not mean you may be nutritiously depleted.

2) Your body will try to adapt to new things or changes and if you are giving it less energy than you burn each day... well, it is changing and it may just be working..

3) Are you eating your calories every day and if so, are you positive that your deficit is NOT too low? You will only know this if you know your numbers like BMR, TDEE estimations for the daily or week. For example it may take a few weeks to adhere to changes before they take place or are noticed (within your own body and mind)...

4) If your deficit is too low, then you will notice weakness, fatigue, moodiness, etc.. you will know by listening to your body if you need to eat more or not.

If you can need more calories and really do not feel like eating (chewing and swallowing filling food) can you drink anything? for example a smoothie, chocolate milk or milk shake or something that will help you gets needed calories without swallowing whole food if you have that "i don't feel like eating anything whole, etc..)...

I know this might not be any real advise and since I am still trying to understand the situation, maybe anything I am mentioning is thought provoking... I guess I want to make sure that you are truly not eating too little and to understand if "hungry" is truly that you are not fueling your body adequately..

• ThomasJCasella
    ThomasJCasella Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Exercise. Your body is not burning enough calories therefore it seeks no reason to replenish them. Your appetite is probably suppressed possibly with the association between food and weight gain, but then again everyone is different. Besides, exercising along with a proper diet is the true key to weight loss.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What to do when your not hungry? There are many days when I don't reach my calorie limit, like today 871 calories. I have heard eating every 3 to 4 hours is good for you and your metabolism but what do you do if your just not hungry??

This is a good question. I have had this problem as well and I have only been on this journey for 3 months. In the beginning, you suffer through learning to eat more nutritiously and within your daily calorie goal. However, there are days (even when you have gotten pretty good at tracking/logging your food), that you may find that you have eaten less than 1000 calories and do not feel hungry. There could be many reasons for this: illness, monthly cycle, for me it could be that I've eaten a lot of protein that day, etc.

If it only happens sporadically, I would not worry too much, especially if you've gone over your calorie goal one or more times during that week. If you find that you are feeling this way two or more days in the same week, I would do as some have suggested above: find a few calorie dense healthy foods that you enjoy (like peanut butter, nuts, etc) and eat some of that.

Also, you may find that there are times that you think that you are not hungry, but once you start eating, you find that you are indeed a little hungry. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    try to incorperate some more calorie dense foods throughout your day: peanut butter, nuts, and avacados have worked for me

throw a little oil on your meat before you cook it

drink some milk instead of water all the time
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ah!! This^

Especially when I wake up the next day after a good lifting session. I want to eat EVERYTHING
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's always room for ice cream or chocolate for me. I can't remember the last time I had more than 50 leftover calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

To the OP, I am glad that you responded.

It sounds to me that there could be several things at bay here...

1) Your body is "speaking" to you louder and you are noticing. In some cases your body is really thirsty and try to drink instead and this does not mean you may be nutritiously depleted.

2) Your body will try to adapt to new things or changes and if you are giving it less energy than you burn each day... well, it is changing and it may just be working..

3) Are you eating your calories every day and if so, are you positive that your deficit is NOT too low? You will only know this if you know your numbers like BMR, TDEE estimations for the daily or week. For example it may take a few weeks to adhere to changes before they take place or are noticed (within your own body and mind)...

4) If your deficit is too low, then you will notice weakness, fatigue, moodiness, etc.. you will know by listening to your body if you need to eat more or not.

If you can need more calories and really do not feel like eating (chewing and swallowing filling food) can you drink anything? for example a smoothie, chocolate milk or milk shake or something that will help you gets needed calories without swallowing whole food if you have that "i don't feel like eating anything whole, etc..)...

I know this might not be any real advise and since I am still trying to understand the situation, maybe anything I am mentioning is thought provoking... I guess I want to make sure that you are truly not eating too little and to understand if "hungry" is truly that you are not fueling your body adequately..

This advice doesn't make sense to me. Do you really think that, if the OP is logging accurately, 871 calories is enough for her? She has lost 15 pounds in a month. It sounds like she might be practicing some restriction (she has cut all her old foods out of her diet). "Drink more" seems a bit mild.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To the OP, is exercise incorporated into this equation? A lot of people are saying to exercise and/or lift weights in order to make your self hungry? And if you are eating at a moderate deficit (or even more than recommended) is there energy left to exercise especially with family, etc..

Am I totally missing the question? And is lifting weights for you a solution to "make yourself hungry" and eat food (plus this advice makes no sense to me by the way)

I understand that you just simply are not hungry and may eat less than your deficit on some days and how to overcome NOT being hungry so you can eat ALL the calories for the day?

Again.. and I am trying to see if I can give something viable to the question..

edited to change: I do not think this is a question about being hungry, per se... It is about you simply have NO appetite.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's always room for ice cream or chocolate for me. I can't remember the last time I had more than 50 leftover calories.

Ditto...I never waste calories.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I suggest you make you diary public. Otherwise people can only make guesses.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Not hungry on 870 cals!! hmmm!! I'm hungry if I don't eat more than 1870 cals :smiley:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ah!! This^

Especially when I wake up the next day after a good lifting session. I want to eat EVERYTHING

I hear ya sista
  • nat1908
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

Thank you! This is very helpful :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ditto...I never waste calories.

nods. I'd rather be a little over than a little under- the calorie goal is a goal to hit- not just barely meet.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know I suggest this a lot, but if you find yourself unable to meet you goal/ not being hungry at the appropriate times, but you know the time you should be hungry (say, 4-5 hours after your last meal), an occasional insure or carnation instant breakfast can be a good meal supplement. I highly suggest actual food items over these, but as someone with appetite-surpressing medication, these are good in a pinch (and also if you find yourself missing food due to time limitations). Try to avoid items that are just protein drinks, as they are more for pre or post workout versus an actual meal replacement (and sometimes lack vitamins and minerals the other options have). Ensure is what is offered at my local hospital for individuals who have difficulty stomaching food.

I'd also examine food you "always" want to eat (if there are any); if there's junk food or snacks or fruit or whatever, examine the snacks you prefer. Are they sweet? Are they savory? Are they light or fiberous (fiber bars, cereal, etc)? I've discovered I'm able to eat an apple when I'm not particularly hungry, but have a harder time eating bread or meat. Supply yourself with these emergency provisions; it's better to have something in your stomach than to starve yourself.

Might also want to consider a nutritionist or visit to the doctor if this doesn't help; occasionally appetite suppression can be a sign of something else. Birth control is a common affector, as is antidepressants and anxiety medication and ADHD meds. For me, it is also a side-effect of my anxiety and insomnia. If you are out of sync somewhere else in life that provides energy (rest, entertainment, movement/activity levels), your body may not signal that you are hungry because it is focused on other areas (or it is possible you cannot 'feel' the hunger due to exaustion, etc).
  • nat1908
    Options
    I thank all of you for giving some wonderful feedback, you have given me some great ideas to consider. May all of you be blessed on your journey to better health. :smile: