Protein bars

Options
angellak
angellak Posts: 68 Member
What are your thoughts on protein bars? Are they good or bad?

Replies

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them on a regular basis, but every once in a while they are ok. For the amount of calories in most of them, they really aren't much different than eating a candy bar. However, the protein and other stuff (depending upon the brand) that are in them, make them a marginally better choice than a candy bar, in my opinion.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    They are a staple of my diet. I'd say that 20 grams of protein in a 200 calorie bar is a little better than "marginally" better than candy. I eat them for breakfast or as a snack when I'm too far under on my calories for the day. Besides, most of them have a good micronutrient profile as well. Some of them might as well be chocolate flavored protein-n-vitamins.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    No individual food item can really be *absolutely* good or bad.

Personally, I love protein bars. Many days I need those extra 200-300 calories, and I can pretty much always use the protein.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with protein bars.

They are great for the days you don't have time to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Extra protein doesn't hurt, either.
  • FJWilson87
    FJWilson87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Balance Bars are great snacks. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and between 180 and 200 calories.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I use them when I know I can't have access to decent food, travelling, running errands, working. Quest bars, or homemade one, or simply whey bars.
  • angellak
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • StaceyHarrington
    Options
    I make my own "protein" bars. Look up Ashley Horner on YouTube. So easy, it's just oats, protein powder of your choice (BSC Hydroxyburn- chocolate), almond milk and peanut butter. http://youtu.be/RtOUl2a3SVA
  • angellak
    Options
    Wow! I will do that...thanks.
  • rcpilot2008
    rcpilot2008 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    angellak wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on protein bars? Are they good or bad?
    I like the Special K Protein Bars at 170 calories each. Chocolate Peanut Butter and Double Chocolate. They have a better taste than other brands.

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all the time, but they are good post workout of if you need a bigger snack/smaller meal on the go. I only use bars that have at least 20+ grams of protein though. I have Premier Protein and Pure Protein right now.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What brands do you guys like that are high in protein, low in sugar, and still actually taste good? Right now I eat Luna bars because the sugar content isn't exorbitantly high, they taste great, protein is decent, and they tout the other nutrients, like calcium, folic acid, antioxidants, etc. But I don't know if they are actually among the healthier choices for protein bars, I just think they're probably at least better than the "granola bars" you find in the snack aisle.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What brands do you guys like that are high in protein, low in sugar, and still actually taste good? Right now I eat Luna bars because the sugar content isn't exorbitantly high, they taste great, protein is decent, and they tout the other nutrients, like calcium, folic acid, antioxidants, etc. But I don't know if they are actually among the healthier choices for protein bars, I just think they're probably at least better than the "granola bars" you find in the snack aisle.

Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe: 180 Cals, 21 g protein, 17 g carbs (3 g sugar), 4.5 g fat.
  • vixnbrianaf
    vixnbrianaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Kind bars. They are kind of expensive but they have good ingredients and taste really delicious.
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I actually like them as a treat.. Special K chocolate peanut protein bars are delicious .. Way better choice than a candy bar
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The Simply Bar is my favourite protein bar. You can buy at Costco for $14 for 12 bars, I think? 160 calories, 16g protein, 4g fat, 14g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g sugar. They taste great too!
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me it takes a little bit a label reading. I usually go with Nature Valley. Have a decent amount of protein and a sane amount of sugar. Quest bars are good too but a little pricier but they have good protein and also good fiber.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also a protein bar is better for you then say a Snickers bar
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I love them, but I have found (for me) they actually seem to trigger my sweet-tooth vs. satisfy it. I might have to steer clear except in certain situations. But again, this is me and may not be the same for you or anyone else.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't really like them because I feel like they have a lot of calories for being so tiny. I only eat them when I'm in a hurry and hungry or something.

I like the Detour Simple bars that I get from Costco the best because they have 150-170 calories instead of 200+.