Tracking Condiments

Options
Does anyone measure and track sauces? Like BBQ sauce, ketchup, and mustard. I never have but should I be doing so?

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes I track it and what an eye opener....lots of calories in those things. Now I don't use as mmk much if at all
  • Tmochava
    Tmochava Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also what about hot sauce? It has a sodium content but no calories and I figure I drink enough water to flush the sodium out of me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you have a large deficit, it won't hurt you to miss 10 here, 25 there. If you're near the end then every little bit adds up and can wipe out a deficit.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't track plain mustard despite the sodium, or my beloved sriracha sauce because I use such tiny quantities. I'm not overly concerned about my sodium intake. BBQ sauce, ketchup - that can be an upwards of 30 calories per tablespoon. Worth tracking that for sure!
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup, track everything. Especially things like mayo, there's soooo many calories.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't really use condiments but when I do I use very little and usually don't bother to add calories. I mean (and this isn't really a condiment but whatever), there are a few calories in the two pickle slices I add to my sandwich but not enough to really throw me off. But if you're adding large amounts of sauce to your food daily I would track it.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yes on sauces. No on things like salt, pepper, and dried spices like basil. Too bothersome and almost no calories in those.
  • TheHumanMachine
    TheHumanMachine Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use my food scale to weigh ketchup and sauces.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The only condiment I don't track is mayo.. That's free right?! ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, my food scale zeroes out. So let's say I have chicken nuggets. I'll do this:
    1. Put empty plate on scale.
    2. Zero out scale.
    3. Add frozen chicken nuggets
    4. Log weight of chicken nuggets.
    5. Microwave nuggets.
    6. Put plate and microwaved nuggets on scale.
    7. Zero out scale.
    8. Add bbq sauce / ketchup / whatever to plate.
    9. Log sauce.

I have the most accurate calorie intake data possible using this method. It doesn't help me lose weight necessarily, but I struggle to see weight loss no matter what I do. In any case, nobody should say I'm not logging as accurately as possible (they do, but shouldn't).
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't track ketchup, barbecue or soy sauce. I do track mayo, orange chicken sauce (I bought the bottle from panda express lol), and any other kinds of dressings (like ranch).

edited to add: I also make sure that I use a minimal amount of the sauces I don't track.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sauces yes ... Spices naa
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I weigh/log all condiments.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some of the condiments have noticeable calories. I looked up the mcd's bbq sauce and the one little tub was 45 calories. I track my hot sauce because sometimes I use it a lot and the sodium.....

I don't eat a lot of sauces/spreads because I usually mix up something of my own with some plain yogurt (weighed, logged), but the ketchup and bbq sauce does add up.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you don't log condiments, you'll probably be left wondering why you haven't seen results. 2 tbsp of ranch dressing is 140 calories. It's also not very much when it's properly measured out.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For the very reason kandell mentioned... I log everything.

the way I see it..if Im going to log my 50 calories of spinach, why woudlnt I log my 120 calories of mayo..or what have you? Not to mention, I want to weigh it to make verrrry sure if Im going to log that many calories, Im getting every gram of that condiment in there LoL
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    log EVERYTHING! I wouldn't sleep well knowing I had eaten something I hadn't logged. If you look at my diary there are quite a few <5 calorie entries. They all add up.
    I do the same as midwesterner85. I put the bowl/plate on the scale, hit zero, add first ingredient and log then zero and add next ingredient. I also have a scale that weights fluids so I can weight a solid then change to fluid oz and add liquid.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'll only track condiments with significant calories. That means I'm not logging mustard, sriracha sauce, but I am logging mayo or Miracle Wipe. If I'm getting towards the end of the day and I have plenty of excess calories in my budget, I may get lazy and skip it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't log is a squiggle of yellow mustard on my sandwich. I definitely log mayo, ketchup, and ranch.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'll only track condiments with significant calories. That means I'm not logging mustard, sriracha sauce, but I am logging mayo or Miracle Wipe. If I'm getting towards the end of the day and I have plenty of excess calories in my budget, I may get lazy and skip it.

Im pretty sure that was auto-correct hard at work, but Im giggling at Miracle Wipe. I'll have to start calling it that from now on!