Bariatric surgery or lose weight without it?

Options
2»

Replies

• medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Jeb...I'm diabetic, got myself off of insulin with diet and excercise...PLEASE research Bitter Melon, cinnamon, Banaba leaf, and Colius forskholin.....combined, they honestly changed my diabetic life.

I also have type 2 diabetes, and I'm well on my way to getting off insulin with losing weight, diet, and exercise. You don't need to go to extreme surgical measures to get diabetes under control or into "remission". You just have to work at it. Took me quite a few years to figure this one out.

Not sure if you were supporting my statement or not, but i had surgery, hated it and got myself off insulin by using natural remedies. I took a holistic approach to my heath and it has been amazing. anyone who wants info can ask. It IS hard work but nobody has to be stuck with uncontrolable diabetes
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I considered going down this path, until I saw a lady on a documentary who had lap band surgery. The band eroded her stomach and she got very sick. Now she almost has no stomach at all. I did some research and found a litigation site. They said that 6out of 10 people get complications from their surgery and have to have more surgery and half of the 6 end up getting the lap band removed because of complications. A lot of people have had their lives ruined through the surgery.
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    holy cow...that poor girl. I see people all the time who "eat thru" their restriction. Then they really feel like failures. I am really trying to do this right...to be honest I never really committed to lose weight before. So...now I'm committed...and thankful for the support. Thank you!

AGREED!!! it's a horrible feeling that i learned to fix :) I'm so sad for my former self that i didn't learn my lesson sooner but i'm stronger for it :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Biggest issues I've seen with people who go the surgery route is that the actual issue of why they over eat usually isn't solved. It's not uncommon for a person who addictively eats to change that addiction to something else. Alcohol, gambling, etc.
    I say try to address the issue of why one is overeating. Is it emotional? Mental?
    Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Moderate calorie deficit and regular exercise. If you can't stick to this, you can't handle the post-surgical adherence. Don't do it yet. Prove to yourself you have it in you to change your life and take control. There is support here. Look to groups with similar concerns and experiences.

Best of luck.
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    For the surgery to not only work, but LAST, it requires a total change of habits anyway. Might as well do it without the surgery and possible complications!
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was hospitalized for a couple of months with a life-threatening staph infection, and was basically forced into a diet of hospital food and portions. When I got out, I found I could no longer eat larger portions! One hot dog would leave me feeling full. If I tried to eat a second, I'd feel bloated halfway through. Unfortunately, old habits eventually reversed this. Now I'm trying again, on my own, watching my portion sizes and am feeling the same stomach shrinking effect after only about two weeks!

It goes to show that with the same disciple you'd need after the surgery, you can skip the surgery altogether and in a few weeks get a similar "full" effect after eating much smaller portions. To be effective, you simply have to listen to your body and not ignore the feeling.

If you can't muster the discipline to stop eating when full, the surgery may fail you anyway, and you took the risks of (expensive) major surgery for nothing. If you do have the discipline, you may not need the surgery at all. Doesn't it seem logical to take the safer route and give it a try without?
  • Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My husbands friend just had the gastric sleeve. He ended up having major complications. He got a major infection and also had part of the suture where they removed part of the stomach rupture. He had to have at least 2 extra surgeries. He has been out of work for four months and will be out at least 3 more. I think diet and exercise is the way to go. Also, because our insurance wouldn't cover his surgery and it was an elective surgery they won't pay for any of the medical care for the complications.

If ur husbands friend had it in Mexico they may have used the cheap chinese staples. I actually have a Bariatric Surgeon Friend in Tijuana that said that most doctors there use cheap chinese staples and that patients should always ask about that, my friend uses the good stuff and has performed surgery on a couple of my friends and they had 0 complications. Also from what I was informed, if people don't do what they are suppose to do right after surgery then it can and will cause complications. Maybe your hubbys friend ate wayyy too much that his pouch suture came out... who knows. I hope he is doing well now.
  • Portugueselove
    Options
    I considered going down this path, until I saw a lady on a documentary who had lap band surgery. The band eroded her stomach and she got very sick. Now she almost has no stomach at all. I did some research and found a litigation site. They said that 6out of 10 people get complications from their surgery and have to have more surgery and half of the 6 end up getting the lap band removed because of complications. A lot of people have had their lives ruined through the surgery.

Kaiser won't even perform lap bands anymore. They in my opinion, sorry for saying this.... are no good. I would never do the band or the bypass because of the mal absorption issues and dumping syndrome, however the gastric sleeve is much safer, no mal absorption. I have friends that had the sleeve and the bypass, and to be honest, the ones with the sleeve look better and healthier, some of the bypass ones look sick and lost hair. Also seems like bypass patients regain weight back, in which i never heard as of yet of a gastric sleeve patient regaining weight back, may be due to 85% of stomach removal.
  • Portugueselove
    Options
    I had gone through all the tests and approvals for a Gastric Bypass, I even had a surgery date, but I opted out for a few reasons so now I'm on the same path, trying to lose the weight without the surgery. Good luck on your journey!

Good luck. Lots of people can lose weight without surgery, but usually gain all if not more. :(

I was up to 350 lbs in January of 2007. I didn't even know how much I weighed because my scale kept saying "error". I got a 2 free week gym membership and decided to go and that is when they weighed me there and i was shocked at how much I weighed. So i just started working out and counting calories. I lost a total of 70 and plateued for 3 years no matter what i did. I still worked out and counted calories. I gained about 10 lbs back. A lot of my friends had weightloss surgery and kept telling me to do it, but i really wanted to lose all my weight on my own with no need of WLS. Well after being unsuccessful I decided to find out more about the new WLS they had out there which was the Gastric Sleeve. So I decided to do that, even though a lot of people were against me doing it. At that point i was 290. I had it in July of 2012, so I am not even a year out but have lost weight slowly with it also. I don't know what is it about my body that it just tries to hold on to fat lol. I am still 216 lbs as of today. However someone thought i was around 150 this past weekend... yeah right.. i wish. So anyways i still think this was the best decision i made, i am no longer taking high blood pressure medicine after over 10 years of taking it.

You will lose weight on MFP if you eat the calories you are suppose to eat, but once you hit that frustrating plateau you may seek wls as ur last resort like i did.
  • mystarria24
    Options
    I'm 49 weigh 305 my grandmother died of a massive heart attack at 62 at 350 both my aunts over 300 and my mom was 420 and had surgery 27 yrs ago my little sister is 29 and is 400 is having the lap band done ive spen 10's of thousands of dollars on pre packaged foods and laxatives and cutting calories if i can get approved through medicaid for surgery im getting it done i have a fiancee who stands by me either way but im tired of being fat.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The fact is that only 5% can keep the weight off after losing it on their own.
    Many people including myself have had a life long struggle with weight management.
    If the Bariatric program you are considering is not qualified or is in Mexico please think again.
    Many surgeons are no longer performing lap band surgery.
    There are professional certification programs for Bariatric medical centers, Google it and then find a good one.
    Do your research of the programs in your area. Attend an introductory class and learn about it.
    There is life-long follow ups to these programs. This is NOT the easy way out.
    If you don't do exactly what they tell you to do your chances of success are greatly reduced.
    WLS is another tool and it can be very effective.
    I have been a part of the HealthEast Bariatric program in St. Paul, Minnesota since February, 2013.
    Check out their website and learn more about it.
    Good luck.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I had lost over a hundred pounds in less than a year by eating at a moderate deficit.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know several people that have had both, the Gastric bypass and the lapband , one person almost died from the gastric surgery and now he has gained almost all his weight back. A friend of mine had the lap band surgery and she hasn't lost anything.
    I thought about having the Lap band before I started my journey in March of last year and Thank God I didn't go thru with it. By watching your calorie intake and exercising You can lose the weight. I'm living proof of it!! I have lost 130 so far, with another 50-60 lbs to go. It is possible to do on your own. smile:
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The point I was trying to make is that the majority of people who lose the weight CANNOT KEEP IT OFF.
    It is possible to lose the weight but keeping it off is another story.
    WLS is another tool to help you keep the weight off.
    If you don't follow the program you won't keep it off with WLS either.
    There are all kinds of stories about people who have had WLS who were not successful,
    just like the people who diet and gain it all back.
    For many WLS is a program they can live with for the rest of their life.
    There is no magic answer to this world-wide problem.
  • carriealoch
    carriealoch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    gracekelli wrote: »
    I am so happy for the folks that have bariatric surgery and don't have complications. I don't think surgery is a "quick fix" at all. I see what people go through...to say nothing of the heroic people I have met in the classes and support groups.
    That being said I have also seen SO many people who were either not ready or are too unbalanced to have this surgery be cleared by psych for surgery. It's true nobody in their "right mind" would opt for this procedure without serious consideration, but let me tell you, I see people who are not in their right mind having bariatric procedures. I haven't ruled out the sleeve...I just want to see what will happen trying it on my own. Plus, I'm not gonna lie...I need at least a half cup of coffee most mornings and at least one diet dr pepper a day. I quit smoking over a year ago...I should be able to quit eating crap too.

Bariatric surgery is an intensely personal decision that affects how you will live the rest of your life. My husband, who had never struggled with weight, said I should try the post-op diet beforehand and I'd lose the weight. A few WLS people in here have pointed out that there's that intense hunger working against you, and "it's just self control" is NOT an accurate understanding. Physically changing how much until you're full helps--but does not cure--that. There are psychological issues of sabotaging oneself too, but the surgery can also be a "last ray of hope" for people who've been overweight/obese their ENTIRE lives, so it can have some psychological benefits.

I'm 7 months post-op (traditional bypass), and it's the best decision I've ever made relating to my health. It's not an easy path, and psychological issues can undermine the success.

If you feel like you still can do it by working out, surgery isn't for you. Surgery is for people like me-- people who've done so many diets and lifestyle revisions over the decades but none of them last more than 6 months--and now there are co-morbidities. I looked at the statistics for my age group of people who'd been overweight since X and considered the statistics on likelihood of losing the weight. I also looked at the long-term problems obesity causes. I hit both a new weight high and was diagnosed with high blood pressure (plus other co-morbids) and I just knew I needed another tool.

Surgery is a tool that has risks and potential benefits. It's not for everyone, but for people who are honest with themselves and only get the surgery if it is the best rational decision in their situations, it can make us feel alive again. I feel like I have my life back.
  • pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a revision from lap band to gastric sleeve and its the best decision I ever made. I gained all of my weight back that I lost after my band when I had my second child and developed major health issues. It's not an easy way out or quick fix it's a tool and if you use it properly then it works. With any surgery comes risks that's why you do your research and I'm proud of what I did. I come from an obese family and I want to be a better role model for my children. I've done every diet out there and every weight loss program and anyone who says this is the easy way out doesn't understand what you go through to get through it. I'm lucky to have a wonderful support group led by my husband, family and friends. May you all be successful in whatever path you choose.