Do I need a gym to tone my legs and reduce cellulite?

mom2ava07
mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been dieting and running for 3 months. I've lost 25 lbs, and plan to maintain at this weight. I would like to keep running for calorie burn and cardiovascular health, but I've learned it doesn't do much in the toning department. If anything, I have more cellulite dimples since losing weight. My legs are smaller, but oddly enough look flabbier in my opinion.

I know I can Google leg toning exercises, but I want to know what has worked for you to tone and reduce cellulite. Or could this be something I'm stuck with due to age (only 29) and genetics?

Replies

• Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    I haven't been to a gym in a long time. I do all my strength training at home. I have invested in used weights and weight machines from classified ads and I also use fitnessblender.com to do body weight exercises as well.

I was noticing a decrease in my cottage on my legs before I got bedridden in the summer, (I was out for 6 months) I am just starting to get back into working out hardcore again.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    If you’d like to add muscle and increase strength, lift heavy things. You can’t spot reduce, but you can build muscle, which should help you have a more athletic look. Also, while you might not need to lose more weight, you may wish to lose body fat to have a better body composition.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Cellulite is a result of the way your first layer of fat sits against your dermis. It's not always possible to get rid of it, even if you lose excess fat. To lose excess fat, burn more calories than you eat. To build muscle and/or strengthen your legs, follow a progressive resistance program (i.e., weight lifting or bodyweight training.) Squats, deadlifts, etc. will help in that area.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Cellulite is genetic, bad luck!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Some of it's genetic, but strength training greatly improved the look of mine. I previously belonged to a gym, but had much better results using free weights at home than going to a gym and using machines. (It was Planet Fitness, so there weren't a lot of free weight options.)

I got most of my weights at Sears, D ick's Sporting Goods and WalMart. I would have liked to have bought used from Craigslist, but the ads were all in far-flung locations and the photos looked like they were taken in Buffalo Bill's basement. I don't wanna put the lotion on the skin. ;)
  • karen_dodds
    karen_dodds Posts: 3 Member
    To reduce cellulite you could try body brushing and a caffeine rap
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    To reduce cellulite you could try body brushing and a caffeine rap

That isn't going to do anything. Except lighten your wallet.

Cellulite is genetic unfortunately. But you probably should be strength training. A fair portion of your weight lost was likely muscle, hence the flabby look.

• ShrinkingKitt
    ShrinkingKitt Posts: 36 Member
    Some of it's genetic, but strength training greatly improved the look of mine. I previously belonged to a gym, but had much better results using free weights at home than going to a gym and using machines. (It was Planet Fitness, so there weren't a lot of free weight options.)

I got most of my weights at Sears, D ick's Sporting Goods and WalMart. I would have liked to have bought used from Craigslist, but the ads were all in far-flung locations and the photos looked like they were taken in Buffalo Bill's basement. I don't wanna put the lotion on the skin. ;)

LOL!!