Why is the projected Weight loss different from day to day

Options
First of all I am about 55 lbs overweight. I'm finding it hard to consume the 1200 calories needed. I get close but then freak out because I don't want to go over. I also don't understand why one day the projected weight lose would be different from another day if the only difference is 10 calories ?

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Because ten calories a day adds up... :smile:

I ignore that, first of all because everyone is different anyways. Second of all because weight loss isn't perfectly linear. You may lose 5 lbs one week and then nothing for 3 weeks then another lb despite eating the same everyday..
  • lauradrach
    Options
    I knew there was a reason why I hated math
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    the projected weight loss thing should just be ignored!
  • lauradrach
    Options
    I became so upset when I saw that. You're right I'm going to try to not let it sway me from my new life pattern.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Because no one eats exactly the same amount of calories everyday.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just an estimate, second post today going on about the projection. It should be taken with a massive pinch of salt and its definitely not a promise or guarantee you will lose. I'd ignore it. All it does is some very very basic math.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate and like all estimates should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's just an idea of what might happen. I guess to i courage you to remain at your limit and not over and not over by too much. Imagine completing a day and having it say you will be 5 kg heavier in 5 weeks.

Does it do that?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
    I use it as a game, it keeps me logging. I write the estimate down on a calendar 5wks in advance then I see whether or not it was accurate. Above, below, whatever! It's a fun little graph game that keeps me going cause I want to see if I make it in 5wks!
    When I get there I just start all over again.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You need to understand also that 1200 is a MINIMUM. You need to be getting at least that many calories. I hate that MFP's number goes red when you go over. It sends the wrong message. I've suggested to them that it be red if you eat too few calories. In this case, green means GO. GO means keep eating.

I used to think eating 1200 per day was hard too. Then I realized that if it was so hard I wouldn't have gotten so fat in the first place. If you are eating a healthy mix of foods and not trying to live on vegetables you should have no problems meeting your goal.
  • lauradrach
    Options
    I could go the whole day without eating then eat dinner. I wasn't counting calories and paying attention to how much I ate.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I write the estimate down on a calendar 5wks in advance then I see whether or not it was accurate. Above, below, whatever! It's a fun little graph game that keeps me going cause I want to see if I make it in 5wks!

I thought I was the only one doing that! I don't expect it to be right, but it's neat to see how the numbers work and how close I'll actually get. I have one marked for next week and I'm pretty close to hitting it.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I write the estimate down on a calendar 5wks in advance then I see whether or not it was accurate. Above, below, whatever! It's a fun little graph game that keeps me going cause I want to see if I make it in 5wks!

I thought I was the only one doing that! I don't expect it to be right, but it's neat to see how the numbers work and how close I'll actually get. I have one marked for next week and I'm pretty close to hitting it.

Ha! No, I'm a proper nerd. Chasing a point on a chart gives me thrills!
    My next one comes up tomorrow, 223. Last weigh in i was 221.something. Let's hope I didn't gain!