Calories vs. Fat vs. Carbs

Options
I have been doing SO much reading lately on dieting and what is the most effective way to lose weight. And I see conflicting reports and diets out there that focus on calories, fat or carbs. One thing I did notice though is that there is a lot out there saying that calories is really the only thing or most important thing you should focus on for weight loss. So, is this true? What do you all think? When trying to lose weight, should I just be focusing on my calorie intake?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in vs calories out. Do it however you want whether it be low carb or whatever. The problem with a lot of the low carb, no carb, special diet etc is that it is hard to sustain. I advocate eating the way you are going to eat when you hit your target weight but just at a lower daily calorie level.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Strictly for weight loss, yes it is true that as long as you eat at a calorie deficit (ie less than you burn) you will lose weight. But to be healthy you also need to be mindful of macro- and micro-nutrients. So, getting enough fat and protein (both essential to your body), making the rest up with carbs (energy), and getting enough variety in your food to cover you on vitamins and minerals.

If you go with the calorie deficit set for you by MFP, and the default macro settings (carbs, fat, protein), that's a good starting point :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out rules weight loss.

Your mfp calorie goal, as well as any online bmr, rmr, or tdee calculator are based on formulas and averages created to provide estimates of your caloric needs. That means that you may need to tweak your number up or down as many variables (medical conditions, etc.) affect your caloric needs and may make them differ from another person of the same size, age, sex, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. How you get there (LCHF, paleo, Atkins/South Beach) is up to you, but the only thing that matters to weight loss is eating less than you burn.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes. How you get there (LCHF, paleo, Atkins/South Beach) is up to you, but the only thing that matters to weight loss is eating less than you burn.

How do I know how much a burn on a daily basis just in regular living...not working out and stuff. Just normal things. I know that when I work out on a treadmill or anything similar, it will tell me exactly how many calories I am burning.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

How do I know how much a burn on a daily basis just in regular living...not working out and stuff. Just normal things. I know that when I work out on a treadmill or anything similar, it will tell me exactly how many calories I am burning.

Enter your data into MFP and it will give you an estimation.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: in the scientific community when they research weight the vast majority use calories as a given parameter for weight loss/gain. The current tried and tested belief is that if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight - that can't be said for other methods. Everything else is white noise. Yes if you reduce carbs you eat more protein and fat so you don't get hungry, which results in weight loss. If you reduce fat as the most calorie dense macronutrient you could expect to eat less calories. If you go with any other exclusion diet you are likely to lose weight because excluding foods could lead to reduced calorie consumption... etc.

You really don't need to concern yourself with minute details and just enter your info into MFP and it will tell you how much to eat to lose weight. (keep in mind the minimum MFP will give you is 1200 calories, so if you request too to lose weight too fast it will not lower the calories enough to lose it at your desired speed).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Which occurred when OP signed up for the account, trololol.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options

So I entered my info and now under "Your Diet Profile" it tells me From Normal Daily Activity I burn 2,160 cal/day. So pretty much by being alive and functioning on a daily basis I automatically lose that many calories??? So then if I work out and eat less than 2160 calories a day, then I will lose weight? Did I interpret all of that correctly?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So I entered my info and now under "Your Diet Profile" it tells me From Normal Daily Activity I burn 2,160 cal/day. So pretty much by being alive and functioning on a daily basis I automatically lose that many calories??? So then if I work out and eat less than 2160 calories a day, then I will lose weight? Did I interpret all of that correctly?

did you set your goal to maintenance or to lose x per week?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

To lose.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Assuming you input your info correctly (not including exercise into your activity level) and this number is your "maintain weight" number then you will lose if you eat below this. If you exercise then you will lose weight if you eat hte same number of calories while eating back at least half of your exercise calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

To lose.

then yes you need to make sure you eat to that number..

if you exercise then you should net that number….and I would suggest only eating back half of exercise calories, as most burn estimates tend to be off on the high side
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SO much reading lately on dieting and what is the most effective way to lose weight. And I see conflicting reports and diets out there that focus on calories, fat or carbs. One thing I did notice though is that there is a lot out there saying that calories is really the only thing or most important thing you should focus on for weight loss. So, is this true? What do you all think? When trying to lose weight, should I just be focusing on my calorie intake?

If you cannot stick to something it makes no difference how effective it might actually be. The biggest factor is adherence. Especially long-term adherence. If you do something to lose the weight but don't want to keep it up afterward, then you're most likely to go back to the same way of eating that produced the excess weight to begin with.

So find something that is effective AND that you actually want to live with. Something which requires you to eliminate foods you like is not a good candidate.
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    I used to struggle the same way, my friend. But I came across something new that has shown to work because it’s basic body chemistry. The Ketogenic Diet, which is what I have done and am currently living, is limiting your carb intake under 20g net carbs. What I mean by net carbs is when you take the total number of carbohydrates and subtract any dietary fiber and sugar alcohols from the product. The Ketogenic Diet is a high fat, moderate protein and low carb way of living. It’s meeting your protein goal, eating fat for satiety but keeping sure that your carbs are under 20g.

Here are some helpful links to get you started. Please come to /r/keto on Reddit! We’d be very happy to help you with any question you may have.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2we2be/new_here_read_this_first_ask_questions_and/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/why/
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/
    http://www.ruled.me/