Extra skin??

Replies

• Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    :D Thanks for the kind words
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    sstudulski wrote: »
    Based on the experiences of some people that I know that lost large amounts of weight, it seems that skin does not stretch back for many people.

For those that need and want surgery, maybe this is a time for one of those medical vacations to get this done in a country with much lower medical costs (but still very good medical care).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism

Oh goodness no. The reason it is cheaper is because they tend to have lower standards. This is a wonderful way to find yourself disabled for life, or even dead.
  • LanaBerk
    LanaBerk Posts: 25 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You have a few things in your favour including your youth. Give it time; I am guessing much of it will bounce back.

Thank you! Yes, most of the young's skin will bounce back. It may take two years for most of it to shrink. I think many get so excited and just want to get on with their new life. Of course, there will be exceptions but there if a lot to say about being young.

As stated, even mine has bounced back quite a bit, and that is with a huge weight loss at the age of almost 69. Of course, if I were young, I would be devastated at the looks of my skin. So it is all a matter of patience and acceptance.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    In the beginning you lose fast, .....most of the time. Water weight. So it will slow down for most people. ( I seem to be lucky i lost almost 80 pounds in 5 months and still losing 1.5 a week).
    Your skin will catch up with you, but can take two years to "bounce back". That doesn't mean you wont have a saggy skin. But it takes about 2 years to shrink and than stops shrinking.

This is one of the reasons why a good clinic advice you to do a tummy tuck about 2 years after reaching your goal weight. And maintained at that weight.

Some factors will be influencing the shrinking, Like being young, or and genetics etc.

But like most people who are determent to lose the weight and get fitter and healthier, the saggy skin is something they accept in return for a healthier life style.
  • Generic_Excuse
    In the beginning you lose fast, .....most of the time. Water weight. So it will slow down for most people. ( I seem to be lucky i lost almost 80 pounds in 5 months and still losing 1.5 a week).
    Your skin will catch up with you, but can take two years to "bounce back". That doesn't mean you wont have a saggy skin. But it takes about 2 years to shrink and than stops shrinking.

This is one of the reasons why a good clinic advice you to do a tummy tuck about 2 years after reaching your goal weight. And maintained at that weight.

Some factors will be influencing the shrinking, Like being young, or and genetics etc.

But like most people who are determent to lose the weight and get fitter and healthier, the saggy skin is something they accept in return for a healthier life style.

I would definitely accept saggy skin for healthier life and being able to chase after my kids and just do all the things I am restricted right now.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Ha! I've had the paunch since puberty, so I know it well! If I'm doing my math right you are at most in your mid to late 20s, you are gonna have a decent bounce. If not, save up for the surgery! I sure would!
    If you can survive 3 sections, you can survive them snipping some skin!
  • NickJustin44
    NickJustin44 Posts: 3 Member
    My wife dealt with similar issues after our second child. I love her dearly but she struggled a lot with self image issues. I PMed you a link about a product that worked really well for her. It isn't invasive and it certainly a lot less expensive. I can't post it on the forums as I think it would be classified as advertising and I don't want to get booted.

No matter what your choice, I hope you can find your confidence again, and your attitude about your health and kids is inspiring to someone who is starting his health kick. I wish you the best of luck
  • taraaaxo
    taraaaxo Posts: 12
    As long as you add strengthening workouts to your gym routine you will have no problem with extra skin, if your going to do 1 hour of cardio for weight loss even it out with 45 mins of leg press, squats, toe taps or any toning excersise will do. My older brother is a personal trainer and he deals with clients who have the same concern all the time, but dont fear as long as you tone while doing weight loss routines you'll have no lose flabs
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    If my lose skin gets bad I can get some bulldog clips and clip the lose skin up on my side so I have a proper pouch.

Fill it with stationary, my phone, be a surrogate mother for a kangaroo.

Haha! Best thing I've read all day!
  • NickJustin44
    NickJustin44 Posts: 3 Member
    Well, the extra loose skin seemed to go away after she used the product a handful of times over a couple of weeks. However, I suppose it could be do to bounce back or other factors but I guess I would have thought we would have seen a reduction before then.
  • BWBTrish
    edited March 2015
    taraaaxo wrote: »
    As long as you add strengthening workouts to your gym routine you will have no problem with extra skin, if your going to do 1 hour of cardio for weight loss even it out with 45 mins of leg press, squats, toe taps or any toning excersise will do. My older brother is a personal trainer and he deals with clients who have the same concern all the time, but dont fear as long as you tone while doing weight loss routines you'll have no lose flabs

This is NOT true
    Weight training will help you to tone up. But when you have a lot of saggy skin it wont go for most people ( totally)

It all depends on your age, genetics, how long you were overweight.

For me ( i started to lose weight at 260 pounds) at the age of almost 50 i will have a saggy skin.
    I can train 8 hours a day if i could or want to, but i will have a excess skin. Of course you tone up more.

• gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    I understand your concern. I lost approximately 100 pounds before and had saggy skin mostly in my belly area. I joked it was my Sharpei belly (the wrinkly skinned dogs). I even had two ladies ask me how much weight I had lost when changing clothes at the gym and I did not really appreciate it. I did check into a tummy tuck after that and unfortunately did not have the $7000 for that. Unfortunately I got pregnant again after that and gained most of the weight back and here I am again trying again to lose it. This time if I can get there again I will seriously consider getting the money together to do the surgery. I am 43 now and so no more babies. It sucks to have gone through all the work and still not have the type of stomach that you feel you can show off because of the skin issue. I think my biggest problem is that my skin has just lost it's elasticity due to so many ups and downs in my weight.
  • BWBTrish
    Well, the extra loose skin seemed to go away after she used the product a handful of times over a couple of weeks. However, I suppose it could be do to bounce back or other factors but I guess I would have thought we would have seen a reduction before then.

Or the skin could have shrunk anyway because of her age, genetics and time she was overweight.
    You dont know.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    LanaBerk wrote: »
    Most every young person's skin will bounce back. I think most don't want to wait. I am going on 69 and lost over 100 lbs, so I think I may know what I am talking about. Even my skin has bounced back a little AND that's saying something!

This is not true. Every person's skin is different. Depending on the thickness of the skin, the amount of collagen in it, and how far it is stretched, different people's skin will rebound differently. My belly skin was stretched by pregnancy and weight gain when I was 17, and then again less than a year later by another pregnancy, and never rebounded.

I'm so glad that you posted this! I feel it's very important to give ppl hope but not false hope. There's absolutely NO WAY anyone of us knows another persons body to know if there will be issues after. Even a doctor can't predict the end result, I think honesty is the best route when ppl ask about loose skin in the future. Because I think that's truly what they are asking.

Would I rather be overweight than have loose skin ..NO WAY... it's not healthy for me to remain overweight.. I work hard now and I'll know later how my hard work has paid off.

I hear some new members (it makes me sad that they'd feel this way) say they'd rather stay morbidly obese than have to deal with the loose skin later. There are many options.. surgery, flattering clothing that you can tuck the skin in ...check out the Success section...that's where the real stories are. :)

OP....try your best not to worry about tomorrow, there's plenty to to keep us busy today.

All the Best
    Hearts <3
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Based on the experiences of some people that I know that lost large amounts of weight, it seems that skin does not stretch back for many people.

For those that need and want surgery, maybe this is a time for one of those medical vacations to get this done in a country with much lower medical costs (but still very good medical care).

http <snip!!>

Oh goodness no. The reason it is cheaper is because they tend to have lower standards. This is a wonderful way to find yourself disabled for life, or even dead.

Yikes....interesting advice to leave the Country for surgery because it's cheaper? OMG! You get what you pay for in most cases. :#
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015

fiskgyrl wrote: »
    I will be losing over 100 pounds and I am sure I will have sagging skin, but I will most definitely have surg, I am not hiding or tucking loose skin, I spent my entire life hiding and tucking, after all of this work I will not do that anymore. I think I will start a SURG jar today!

That is a GREAT IDEA! I can start saving now and worst case scenario my skin stretches back and I get to spend that money on all the things I have been hiding from from being overweight and self conscious.

:) Great attitude (*)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Most every young person's skin will bounce back. I think most don't want to wait. I am going on 69 and lost over 100 lbs, so I think I may know what I am talking about. Even my skin has bounced back a little AND that's saying something!

This is not true. Every person's skin is different. Depending on the thickness of the skin, the amount of collagen in it, and how far it is stretched, different people's skin will rebound differently. My belly skin was stretched by pregnancy and weight gain when I was 17, and then again less than a year later by another pregnancy, and never rebounded.

I'm so glad that you posted this! I feel it's very important to give ppl hope but not false hope. There's absolutely NO WAY anyone of us knows another persons body to know if there will be issues after. Even a doctor can't predict the end result, I think honesty is the best route when ppl ask about loose skin in the future. Because I think that's truly what they are asking.

Would I rather be overweight than have loose skin ..NO WAY... it's not healthy for me to remain overweight.. I work hard now and I'll know later how my hard work has paid off.

I hear some new members (it makes me sad that they'd feel this way) say they'd rather stay morbidly obese than have to deal with the loose skin later. There are many options.. surgery, flattering clothing that you can tuck the skin in ...check out the Success section...that's where the real stories are. :)

OP....try your best not to worry about tomorrow, there's plenty to to keep us busy today.

All the Best
    Hearts <3

http <snip!!>

Yikes....interesting advice to leave the Country for surgery because it's cheaper? OMG! You get what you pay for in most cases. :#

Not sure where you live but assuming the U.S.

Sure leaving the country and going to Indonesia for cheap surgery has a lot of risks but there appears to be a lot of countries with better healthcare than the U.S. which are cheaper.

A quick google showed countries like the uk Canada australia etc have better health care and cheaper.

Not sure on the reliability but it's not Wikipedia etc.
  • Generic_Excuse
    My wife dealt with similar issues after our second child. I love her dearly but she struggled a lot with self image issues. I PMed you a link about a product that worked really well for her. It isn't invasive and it certainly a lot less expensive. I can't post it on the forums as I think it would be classified as advertising and I don't want to get booted.

No matter what your choice, I hope you can find your confidence again, and your attitude about your health and kids is inspiring to someone who is starting his health kick. I wish you the best of luck

Thanks Justin I will look into that.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Pu_239 wrote: »

How do you know it was the product that helped?

Please don't be rude he was just giving advice as he saw fit, he never told me to use it just what his wife used it and she saw success.
  • Generic_Excuse
    taraaaxo wrote: »

Great advice, Thanks! :D
  • BWBTrish
    Merkavar wrote: »

All the Best
    Hearts <3

http <snip!!>

Not sure where you live but assuming the U.S.

Sure leaving the country and going to Indonesia for cheap surgery has a lot of risks but there appears to be a lot of countries with better healthcare than the U.S. which are cheaper.

A quick google showed countries like the uk Canada australia etc have better health care and cheaper.

Not sure on the reliability but it's not Wikipedia etc.

Very true, Holland cheaper too and excellent healthcare