1200 calories vs a higher calorie/fat diet

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What you should be looking at is doing a diet thats sustainable that will help you first get to target without quitting, help your body adjust and help you keep it off.

If 2lb a week is too slow for you, then realise that a healthy rate of loss is 1-2lb a week.
    Personally I set my calories for a level I can sustain and doesnt make me miserable. Becayse i get out there and do exercise I earn myself the flexibility to eat extra calories if I ever want a pizza, chocolate beer etc.

1500+ is much easier to live with.

I'm actually pretty used to eating 1200 and don't find it too hard. I just wonder if eating more calories may produce quicker results. On the days I cheat, it's a emotional eating. Feeling stressed/tired. When I'm feeling good and "on it", then 1200 works for me..

No, more calories will not make you lose weight faster. That's not how it works. More calories = less weight loss, no matter what foods you're eating. That being said, I agree that you could probably go a little higher than 1200 if you're struggling with it at times.

• MummyStumpf
    MummyStumpf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    pickleRH83 wrote: »
    I've started following Joe Wicks and I'm intrigued by the philosophy so far - basically it's all about eating foods which are rich in nutrients combined with good fats to fuel your body. So basically whole foods, whole grains and lean protein. I'm still counting my calories but find I'm getting more out of what I chose to "spend" them on e.g. my meals are way more satisfying and keep me fuller for longer. I've given up caffiene, fizzy drinks (including diet coke) and sugar unless it's fruit - was tough at first but I feel loads better for it.

Sadly its £150 to do the full Body Coach plan but he posts loads of recipes and cooking tutorials on instragram, twitter and facebook plus you can sign up to a 14 day email update on the website which gives you loads of ideas and food shopping lists for free (my favourite price!)

Can I ask how many calories you're on?
  • MummyStumpf
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What you should be looking at is doing a diet thats sustainable that will help you first get to target without quitting, help your body adjust and help you keep it off.

If 2lb a week is too slow for you, then realise that a healthy rate of loss is 1-2lb a week.
    Personally I set my calories for a level I can sustain and doesnt make me miserable. Becayse i get out there and do exercise I earn myself the flexibility to eat extra calories if I ever want a pizza, chocolate beer etc.

1500+ is much easier to live with.

I'm actually pretty used to eating 1200 and don't find it too hard. I just wonder if eating more calories may produce quicker results. On the days I cheat, it's a emotional eating. Feeling stressed/tired. When I'm feeling good and "on it", then 1200 works for me..

Sorry, but you are working hard and not eating enough. That's why you have cheat days. People that don't workout that hard can afford to have an aggressive deficit. There was a recent study published stating that it might not be detrimental to lose weight quickly, but the study didn't really go super long term in its findings.

Saying that, adding more calories won't net you quicker results. AND more importantly, it would probably be in your best interest to change your focus to LASTING results.

Hard workouts need to be fueled. It's fantastic that you're putting in such great exercise efforts. Eat at a more modest deficit.

What are your stats? How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Age 32
    5"3
    Start weight 210lbs
    Current weight 180lbs
    Goal 130-140lbs
  • MummyStumpf
    Options
    @pickleRH83‌ I've signed up for free 14 day emails too. On day 3. And also following him on Twitter and Facebook. £150 seems a lot to pay, which I why I was looking for advice before paying up. Another trainer I know has said that basically the Paleo diet so I need to look into that too..
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily pay him that amount at all. Have you gone to the websites like scoopys and IIFYM for planning calories? He might be right on with his calorie recommendation, given the amount you work out.

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Don't bother buying into weight loss gimics unless you're going to a gym and getting a trainer.
    I know 1 lb a week may seem slow but it's really not when you want to KEEP the weight off. Sustainable should be your mantra. Fast Weightloss is more like a fad and once you can't continue, the weight just comes back on. You're putting in a lot of work just to see that undone in a year.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Don't exercise and eat your calories back. Eat and exercise those extra calories away. Food first.

Meal timing is irrelevant. It's totally reasonable to eat back some calories if you're famished post exercise.
    That's because your weight loss is too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

These are just arbitrarily chosen numbers that someone made up. There's no evidence to support this protocol. Certainly reducing deficits as BF% gets low is important, but this specific protocol is far from "ideal."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Don't exercise and eat your calories back. Eat and exercise those extra calories away. Food first.

Meal timing is irrelevant. It's totally reasonable to eat back some calories if you're famished post exercise.

]These are just arbitrarily chosen numbers that someone made up. There's no evidence to support this protocol. Certainly reducing deficits as BF% gets low is important, but this specific protocol is far from "ideal."

I've got 7lbs to lose and have it set to .5 a week loss. Would would my chances be of losing it in 3-4 weeks, doable??

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your stats. It's been reported in studies that you can burn between 20 and 33 calories per day per pound of fat. So to calculate your maximal ideal loss rate:

Weight x body fat % = total fat mass
    Total fat x 20* = maximum daily deficit
    (Daily deficit x 7)/3500 = pounds per week goal

* some people use 30 instead of 20 which is conservative
  • Christine_72
    Options
    It took me 4mths to lose 24lbs and it feels like even longer to lose this last bit!
  • jamie994
    jamie994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP has caculated my calories as 1200 per day (loosing 2lbs per week). My weight loss has been slow and up and down but that has been I have had periods of not tracking and not execising.

On a good week, I stick to my 1200 calories and exercise (mixture of cardio and strength with light weigths) for approx 5-6 hours per week and I loose on average 3lbs.

My question is.. I saw this guy called Joe Wicks Aka the Body Coach talking about eating a higher calorie diet including good fats (cocunut oil/advocado/nuts/seeds and lean protein) as well as doing 20 mins of HITT 4-5 times a week as best way to burn fat and build muscle. He says that weight loss will plateau when you restrict your calories.

Am thinking of increasing my calories and following his programme/reviews.

What successes have people had with this approach?

BTW I'm 5"3 and weigh 180. I've lost 25lbs and want to loose at least another 40lbs.

Any feedback would be helpful
    It took me 4mths to lose 24lbs and it feels like even longer to lose this last bit!
    MFP has caculated my calories as 1200 per day (loosing 2lbs per week). My weight loss has been slow and up and down but that has been I have had periods of not tracking and not execising.

On a good week, I stick to my 1200 calories and exercise (mixture of cardio and strength with light weigths) for approx 5-6 hours per week and I loose on average 3lbs.

My question is.. I saw this guy called Joe Wicks Aka the Body Coach talking about eating a higher calorie diet including good fats (cocunut oil/advocado/nuts/seeds and lean protein) as well as doing 20 mins of HITT 4-5 times a week as best way to burn fat and build muscle. He says that weight loss will plateau when you restrict your calories.

Am thinking of increasing my calories and following his programme/reviews.

What successes have people had with this approach?

BTW I'm 5"3 and weigh 180. I've lost 25lbs and want to loose at least another 40lbs.

Any feedback would be helpful

• jamie994
    jamie994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been at a stand still also stuck at the same weight for a month. I came across this information need to read very helpful which I any going to start increasing my calories to 1500 and see how it goeshttp://www.muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The guy was talking about keto diet, I'm guessing. That's what I'm doing and it is working fine.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with the oh-so-standard 1200 calorie setting. It was too low for me, and even with eating back exercise cals, I found it hard to stick to and ended up with the cycle of losing a little, getting off track with consistent logging, staying within my cal targets and exercising, and then I'd gain a little back.

Eventually I realized that if i was going to stick to this, it needed to be sustainable - for life! There was no way I was going to eat 1200 cals for the rest of my life, and like you said - at that level, you have nowhere to go as you lose and your body requires fewer cals.

My goal is to eat as MANY calories as I can while still losing weight. This has been the sustainable method for me - it may have taken me a total of 2-3 years to reach my goal weight, but that was with all the stopping and starting again with cals set too low. Once I set my goal at 1800-2000 cals a day, i never looked back. The last of the weight came off withOUT any stalls or "falling off the wagon" - I have stuck with it and kept it off for several years now.

It took a little fine tuning, a lot of tracking, weighing and measuring foods and being as accurate as possible, but once I dialed in my upper and lower calorie limits, I was home free. I know my BMR (basal metabolic rate) and my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and I eat in between those numbers. Easy peasy. I pretty much stick to my daily goal, which is still a small deficit from my TDEE number, but I know I have the freedom to eat all the way up to TDEE and I still won't gain.

I have energy for workouts and daily life, I have freedom to enjoy treats on a regular basis, and I know this is truly a way of keeping the weight off that I can maintain for the rest of my life.

Don't sell yourself short by trying to lose too fast and cut cals too low. Food is fuel, and from my own experience, my body loses fat beautifully when it's well-fueled for workouts and daily life. :smile:
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Sorry I think you misunderstood what I meant with that. I meant that the focus should be on the food first and then exercise those extra calories away to met your net, NOT the other way around.

These are just arbitrarily chosen numbers that someone made up. There's no evidence to support this protocol. Certainly reducing deficits as BF% gets low is important, but this specific protocol is far from "ideal."

• ashleelbm18
    Options
    Hey guys, new to this app. I just finished my first week of logging.. I'm 5'7 and weigh 148 pounds. I want to loose 10 pounds by the end of April. I'm in taking 1200 to 1400 calories a day . Pure water no other drinks. I am a waitress and work 6 days a week. I am constantly moving and walking at work for at least 5 hours a night. Any body have suggestions for how I should go about loosing 10 lbs ??!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hey guys, new to this app. I just finished my first week of logging.. I'm 5'7 and weigh 148 pounds. I want to loose 10 pounds by the end of April. I'm in taking 1200 to 1400 calories a day . Pure water no other drinks. I am a waitress and work 6 days a week. I am constantly moving and walking at work for at least 5 hours a night. Any body have suggestions for how I should go about loosing 10 lbs ??!

Enter your stats into the mfp calculator for weight loss and eat the calories it gives you. No muss, no fuss :smiley:

• CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight doing high fat diets (which are naturally higher in calories) but you find that they aren't too much higher because the fat and protein keep you full. My trouble with sticking to it is I have a carb addiction and I can never break it long term. Right now I am trying high fat AND low calorie to see how that combo works. I am keeping carbs under 30 and calories under 1200. My Macro nutrients are supposed to be 10% carbs, 30% protein, and 60% fat, but today, my diet was 9% carbs (fell under the 30 mark), 19% protein, and 72% fat. I am okay with this since the numbers don't have to be absolute. Just so long as I stay within the 30/1200 range.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

These are not arbitrary. Under this guidance you will never be at 1,200 cal/day unless you are aiming for an underweight BMI. In general, slowing the deficit (eating closer to maintenance/losing less per week) helps 1. Transition into maintenance, 2. Retain more lean mass.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You need to look at what is sustainable. Also depends on your activity level. I am 5'3" as well and just over 10lbs more. I eat 2400-2500/day except rest days which is about 500 less and I am consistently losing and getting stronger. Now like i said it depends on activity level. I am extremely active and generally only take 1 rest day a week. Once you are done losing weight are you going to be able to stay at 1200? Most likely not...Also if you are very active you need carbs, so I would suggest don't fall for the low carb thing! The good fats you mentioned are good yes.