Hashimotos and gluten-free diet

Options
Hello All! I've been struggling with my weight since the tubal ligation after my daughters birth in 2011. I have been using MFP since that time and I have moments when I actually lose weight but then I regain in a big hurry. I've had hypothyroidism for the past maybe 10 years or so. I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and my doctor hasn't talked to me about it other than to just say continue taking my levothyroxin daily and to only take half a dose on Sundays. I've been doing research and the only "treatment" I find is to go 100% gluten-free. Has anyone else been through this and if so anything you can share with me? Advice/support would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there a way to set my MFP to a gluten-free mode?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the gluten-free thing is just a misunderstanding by the media of one preliminary study that found a relation between celiac disease and hashimoto's and concluded that if a person has either of them, they should be screened for the other. It did not mention in any way that if a person with hashimoto's randomly switches to gluten-free they will get better.. Sadly the only "treatment" is to take your medications and reduce your calorie intake and stick to it. It may take longer to lose weight, but if your dose is correct it will happen eventually.

I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, and my heart goes to you - I know exactly what it's like to have a condition that makes weight loss harder, but I just wanted to save you some disappointment.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can asked to be tested for celiac. The hashimotos diagnosis my daughter got (which no longer applies to her, thyroid function is now normal) was my first clue that led me to insist on her seeing a gi doctor& getting her tested. Her celiac diagnosis was positive, and since going gluten free for that, her thyroid is fine. Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease, as is celiac, & people who have one can sometimes have another.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free is not necessary, but you might find low or moderate carb eating helpful.
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos, was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I'm usually fine with the medication daily. However, the last month or so, every time I eat, I've been an absolute mess, especially when gluten is involved, so I've decided to go entirely gluten and dairy free for a bit and see what happens. Kind of trial and error to see what my overall well being is like (I've been super bloated to the point of physical discomfort after eating that lasts days, more tired than usual, more irritable, Etc.)

I haven't been tested for celiac, but every time I read up on hashimotos, seems the two are interrelated, so it's worth a shot.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to fall into the trap of replacing glutinous food with lot of high-calories gluten-free food. Gluten-free does not necessarily equal healthy, low-calorie or nutritious. It just means gluten-free.
  • tiger2411
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! I was really hoping I wouldn't have to give up gluten unless absolutely necessary! I'm also waiting on my autoimmune panels to come back. Drs are looking for lupus, sjogrens, sarcoidosis etc. I'll definitely ask to be tested for celiac though. Lately I have gotten horribly bloated and doubled over in pain usually when eating as well. I have a history of pancreatitis so Ive been stressed out hoping it's not happening again! Im just getting so depressed with all this, I was always around 126lbs before pregnancy and for the past almost 4 years I've gained and gained to over 190lbs. I have tried everything! Dieting, exercise, hCG, Plexus Slim (which really works, just pricey) I've been at 100 mcg of my thyroid medication for a year but it doesn't seem to make me feel any better at all.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos, was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I'm usually fine with the medication daily. However, the last month or so, every time I eat, I've been an absolute mess, especially when gluten is involved, so I've decided to go entirely gluten and dairy free for a bit and see what happens. Kind of trial and error to see what my overall well being is like (I've been super bloated to the point of physical discomfort after eating that lasts days, more tired than usual, more irritable, Etc.)

I haven't been tested for celiac, but every time I read up on hashimotos, seems the two are interrelated, so it's worth a shot.

Would you explain what the mechanism behind that would be? They have to do with completely different body systems...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Would you explain what the mechanism behind that would be? They have to do with completely different body systems...

I believe the theory is in an overall exaggerated bodily response, the (loose) correlation being a tendency for a percentage of people who have one autoimmune issue to also eventually develop another. In this case, the body would also be over-responding to certain proteins; the protein in question here being gluten, of course. I'm not supporting this theory; I really don't know.

OP, GF helps me tremendously with my symptoms but as others have said, does nothing for weight loss. I like to feel better so I stay GF. I want to be thinner so I consume fewer calories than I expend. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Here is the study that showed the correlation, but more is needed to study the exact mechanisms but it's thought to be genetic in nature. People with autoimmune diseases tend to be predisposed to other autoimmune diseases, but why these two are particularly correlated is still being studied.

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v13/i11/1715.htm
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you suspect you have other autoimmune disorders than Hashimoto's, then talk to your dr and ask for additional testing. If you are seeing an endocrinologist, most probably these tests have already been done, if not, then see an endocrinologist.
    If your only diagnosis is Hashimoto's, take your meds, recheck your numbers whenever the dr tells you to, and forget about it. It will never be cured, and will not really affect your life as long as you comply with dr's orders and take your meds as prescribed.
    Going gluten free with your diagnosis alone, makes no more sense than going lemon free or milk free.
    Here is a study analysing the link between celiac and hashimoto:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2111403/
    As you can see, there is a correlation, but again chances are you do not have celiac.
  • tiger2411
    Options
    @aggelikik. I said I was waiting for the rest of my autoimmune panels from my endocrinologist. And based on your link the conclusion itself would make me want to start a gluten-free diet asafp! I already know I have several autoimmune disorders, why would I wait to see if I have celiacs too? You said to just take my meds and forget about it!? Umm, no! That would be a death sentence and I have far too much to live for to do that. Besides, what would be the harm in a person who isn't positive for celiacs to be on a GF diet? Our ancestors did it why can't we? Wouldn't it make sense to not eat out of a box and to not eat glue? This is not the negatively I was looking for and I don't need it in my life right now.
  • tiger2411
    Options
    "The molecular composition of thyroid tissue is almost identical to that of gluten. So for those with Hashimoto’s, it’s a case of mistaken identity. Eating gluten can increase the autoimmune attack on your thyroid."
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think one of the issues is that Gluten Free seems to be another "fad" that dieters are embracing as a cure-all who don't actually have celiac's disease. I'm an RN and my sister has Hashimoto's. Her primary care provider told her to try a GF diet. The thing is, she doesn't have celiac's disease. So why would she go GF? It is more expensive and sometimes she just wants to have a beer or a slice a bread without feeling the pressure of going GF. A link between Hashimoto's and celiac's has been suggested but not rigorously tested and is currently considered correlation not causation. But a web search will undoubtedly tell anyone that GF is the cure who saved someone's life who also has Hashimoto's. (Nothing like subjective examples to demonstrate scientific data /sarcasm.)

The best thing to do is get tested for celiac's disease. If going GF makes you feel better then great. Could it be because you also have CD? Sure. Could it also be a placebo effect? Sure. As long as something works for you, it isn't anyone else's business what you do. But be very careful about taking things you read on the internet as scientific fact where no such thing has been established in the literature.

I wish you all the best and good healthy living!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have a dear friend who has both conditions.
    Gluten free and she watches preservatives as well.
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2009. Even though I faithfully took my prescribed levothyroxine dosage, my symptoms continued and I couldn't get my TSH levels in the appropriate range. Frustrated, I did some research and read the study that was referred to earlier. I asked my Doctor about it, and she said I should give going GF a try. When asked about getting tested, she indicated that the frequency of false negatives for that particular test is so high that the best test is simply to go gluten free and see how you feel. So, I did. It takes several weeks (and being very rigorous in reading labels, etc.), and it takes a while to stop missing your favorite comfort carbs, but it was worth it. I feel SO much better when I'm gluten free. While some may claim this as a "placebo effect," I highly doubt that a placebo could actually affect my TSH levels. They only stabilized at the appropriate levels once I went gluten free. Some on MFP are a tad judgmental and look down their nose at going gluten-free (or simply have no concept of how crappy you can feel with hypothyroidism, so they can't conceive as to how it might be worth giving up beer or bread to feel healthy again). Don't let that stop you from trying something to make yourself feel better. Maybe it will help your symptoms. Maybe it won't. Everyone is different. The only thing I DO know for sure is that you won't know until you try. Good luck!
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've had hashimotos since 2007 and I've never had any issues with gluten. I do find it a little bit harder to keep weight off but not impossibly so. As long as I stay active and maintain a fairly healthy diet I'm all set. My doctor has always believed that issues with gluten for individuals with hashimotos is usually caused by a different condition. Whatever works for your body though!
  • meganmickmeow
    meganmickmeow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and gluten seems to really bother me. I eat it and I get terrible tummy pains, bloating and gas. It's so apparent that it does not agree with me, After eating it I'm a walking sour gas factory/skunk farm
  • Tlw83
    Tlw83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and I feel better when I don't eat gluten. I have heard others say this so I believe there may be a connection. Maybe that means I'm just allergic to gluten idk. A blood test said no. I don't mean my stomach feels better...I mean in general.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's, celiac disease, and psoriatic arthritis for my trifecta of autoimmune disorders. For azulvioleta6, one autoimmune disorder sort of opens the door to others. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but my endocrinologist calls me an "autoimmune girl" and told me that some people are just like that.

I tend to eat slightly under my deficit to keep the scale moving, and am obviously gluten-free. I do moderate my carbs. I don't find it hard, though. I call what I do selective carbing. I only eat carbs that I really, really like. I find that when you're dieting they are fairly easy to cut down because they're calorie dense. You'll be eating smaller portions anyway. I split my macros so that I'm eating 40% carb 30% protein and 30% fat, and getting a lot of fiber.

I'm older and shorter, so the scale moves slower for me, but I've lost 28 pounds since November, and I'm happy with that.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    tiger2411 wrote: »
    Hello All! I've been struggling with my weight since the tubal ligation after my daughters birth in 2011. I have been using MFP since that time and I have moments when I actually lose weight but then I regain in a big hurry. I've had hypothyroidism for the past maybe 10 years or so. I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and my doctor hasn't talked to me about it other than to just say continue taking my levothyroxin daily and to only take half a dose on Sundays. I've been doing research and the only "treatment" I find is to go 100% gluten-free. Has anyone else been through this and if so anything you can share with me? Advice/support would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there a way to set my MFP to a gluten-free mode?

Thanks in advance!

Exactly what I have done and yes it works listen to what other hypo people are saying here and not the ones that don't have it but like to tell everyone they are wrong anyway. The biggest things I can tell you are to drink healthy water lots of it. Chemicals found in city water have a negative effect on your thyroid mainly fluoride. Stay away from overly processed foods and inflammatory food (those are foods your body gives you clear signs its not happy with) and go for lots of walks. Feel free to add me as a friend.