Using iphone to count steps

Options
hi. I am new to my fitness pal, And have a question. If I am using my iPhone to log my steps and it is syncing to my fitness pal, would I still go ahead and add my daily uphill walk to my fitness pal is a cardio exercise? Or, does the steps that the phone is counting already count az the daily excersise? Thanks forcthe help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Will you be taking your phone with on your uphill walk? If yes, you will be double counting.

Steps are really considered part of your activity level. Some steps are fast, some steps are slow. Exercise is something you do above and beyond normal everyday activity. That's not to say walking (uphill especially) won't be exercise. You could give yourself a little "bonus" for the uphill walk. Maybe put in 1/2 the time to be conservative.
  • Maddyjo57
    Maddyjo57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay. So what I am going to do is use map my walk, the app which figures the calories etc. And record that for my workout. I will only use my I phone steps in the house, etc. Thank you!
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The apps will adjust your walk from mmw if you map it out just check your diary after you finish the walking route
  • MissJennNace
    MissJennNace Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have my health app on the iPhone set to where it doesn't sync with my fitness pal. This is simply my personal preference. I am afraid that the Health app and my fitness pal will count all of my steps as calories I'm burning, when really a lot of my movement is my baseline, standard activity level. So I tend to use the step counter as a guide to let me know about where I'm at in my day. Like a reference point. But when I go out and do my walks for intentional exercise, I manually enter them into my fitness pal. That way it's only showing the calories burned from my intentional exercise, and not my typical daily movements. Does that make sense?
  • nosweat76
    Options
    Hi Miss Jen. How do you enter your steps walked into my fitness? I would like to add mine.
  • MissJennNace
    MissJennNace Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    nosweat76 wrote: »
    Hi Miss Jen. How do you enter your steps walked into my fitness? I would like to add mine.
    I don't enter my total steps. I only enter my deliberate exercise. For instance, if I take a 20 minute walk, I enter that under cardio.