Gluten free, Dairy free and Reduced Sugar and Starch diet NEED HELP PLEASE!

Options
KKameka
KKameka Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My name is Katrina,
I have just recently been told that I am gluten, lactose and insulin intolerant and that i have an under active thyroid! Therefore, I have been put on a strict diet, no dairy, no gluten and reduced sugar and starches! I have medication for my thyroid, which is under control; however I am a Chef and since this has all happen, I have a strong will and can stick to any plan! But I AM HUNGRY! I was wondering if anyone is going through the same thing? Or if anyone had any advice on not feeling hungry.... by choosing different types of food. As I write this write now I AM HUNGRY.....please if anyone has any advice I have open ears! Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • KKameka
    Options
    Thank you for the extra information I will begin reading, asap! Do you know any foods that will leave me fuller for a longer period of time?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Your insulin resistance means you need to eat from multiple food groups at every meal. That, and the volume of vegetables will fill you up and steady your blood sugars.
  • KKameka
    Options
    Is it better for me to graze of have strict meal times?
  • WahachankaKicin
    Options
    My suggestion to you is to incorporate a vegan-type lifestyle if you can't live without meat add in organic grass-fed beef and the like its one of the most important things to consider because of the amount of hormones that they are giving the animals before they are slaughtered, and then they spray on more chemicals to "preserve" the meat such as ammonia..stick to around 3-4oz but i wouldn't consume it often. Almond flour or coconut flour is very good to use as a substitute for flour, Almond milk and Coconut milk are very delicious and are better for you than regular milk (and you can even make icecream with it!) you can use coconut cream/oil as substitutes for butter and its very good for your health, incorporate a-lot of veggies you can make many different dishes without all the additives as a chef you should be natural at this :) chocolatecoveredkatie.com has a lot of interesting dessert recipes and some breakfast and dinner recipes that include sugar free, dairy free, gf all in one recipe that tastes very good (I use her site alot). Ohsheglows.com has many recipes that are filling and very good.. Brown rice is good and you can buy brown rice pastas now, cut the refined sugar introduce stevia (the plant) not the fake stuff at the grocery store. eat plenty of veg and fruits and beans and nuts...well hope this helps
  • KKameka
    Options
    Making food is not the problem, being creative is not a chore at all, I just find myself hungry to the point that my stomach is growling. I am not into red meat that much anyways I usually eat fish, seafood, and chicken. I was thinking about vegan.....I drink unsweetened coconut/almond milk by blue diamond I love it! Thanks for all the sites I will check them out for sure.....it can only get better as I have more practice.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @WahachankaKicin‌ do you seriously suggest this person restrict her choices further???

Scheduled meal times is better because at some point you will need to test your sugars and for a reliable result it is best to test two hours after you last ate. Pick the same time every day to have breakfast and have your next snack within 2-3 hours.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @WahachankaKicin‌ do you seriously suggest this person restrict her choices further???

Scheduled meal times is better because at some point you will need to test your sugars and for a reliable result it is best to test two hours after you last ate. Pick the same time every day to have breakfast and have your next snack within 2-3 hours.

Damn you're smart. No sarcasm.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Unless you're vegetarian, why not just eat plenty of meat?
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    So you eat seafood and chicken, but you're hungry because you cut out bread, sugar, and dairy? I'm confused. Eat more chicken??? *scratches head*
  • KKameka
    Options
    Breakfast is easy, lunch can be done dinner is tricky and I can do raw fruits and veggies at work for snacks. However, dinner for me is when I get home after work thus being up so late. Trying to fit this life style change in with being a chef has been very interesting!
    jgnatca wrote: »

• lisawinning4losing
    Options
    For insulin resistance you need a high protein, low carb diet. You should have no problem staying full with that. It's carbs that make you hungry, because your body uses them up so quickly. Protein digests more slowly, keeps you fuller longer, and helps to balance out your metabolism. Eat lots of meat and vegetables. Almond milk is good, but beware that things like fruit and rice are high in carbs.
  • KKameka
    Options
    So you eat seafood and chicken, but you're hungry because you cut out bread, sugar, and dairy? I'm confused. Eat more chicken??? *scratches head*

Eating more protein is not helping....
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    Maybe you need more fat? Fat is very satiating, and also digests slowly. A lot of people with insulin resistance combat it with a high fat, low carb diet. Some focus more on protein while others focus more on fat. Others try to keep the protein and fat balanced. It's up to you. But if lean protein isn't satisfying you enough then maybe you need more fat.
  • KKameka
    Options
    I understand what you are saying Lisa, which is bring me to something else, that might be affecting the situation which are my thyroid pills. For example for dinner tonight my protein intake was 6oz salmon 3 scallops and 10 shrimp with 2 cups of lightly steamed asparagus.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    Wow, I think I'd be pretty full after all that. Lol.
  • KKameka
    Options
    I know that is what I am saying....this what i don't understand....
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    KKameka wrote: »
    6oz salmon 3 scallops and 10 shrimp with 2 cups of lightly steamed asparagus.

Yum can I come to dinner :smiley:

• lisawinning4losing
    Options
    Eat a steak. If that doesn't cure it, nothing will. ;)