Why counting calories could be making you fatter.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Old, bollocks and it's the Daily Mail

HTH :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    For anyone that doesn't know, the Daily Mail is not a very reputable newspaper...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    "In a nutshell, it's all about making small tweaks wherever you can to shave 100 calories off here and there - and learning which foods will keep you fuller for longer. "

So calorie counting works

Just don't feel like you're starving

I take it all back

apart from the bit about the Daily Mail being bollocks
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Why does it say counting calories makes you fatter? The Daily Mail website is actually blocked where I work lol
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The Daily Fail.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Surprised one of the kardashians weren't featured or linked to the article.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    JUST MAKE IT STOP. Really, reading the bullet points at the top of the page made me angry. I had to stop otherwise I'll be that crazy person in the office shouting at their computer. This type of journalism really annoys me because people read it and believe it because they view the Wail as a reputable source of information, and they end up fat, angry, UKIP voters.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    oneoddsock wrote: »
    JUST MAKE IT STOP. Really, reading the bullet points at the top of the page made me angry. I had to stop otherwise I'll be that crazy person in the office shouting at their computer. This type of journalism really annoys me because people read it and believe it because they view the Wail as a reputable source of information, and they end up fat, angry, UKIP voters.

it makes you vote UKIP?

OMG!.gif
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's stupid articles like this that make people fail on their diets
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    oneoddsock wrote: »

I agree with you on this, but reading it out made me giggle snort so loud.

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article itself is wrong per se but it doesn't explain itself properly. I know 1000 calories of cake and 1000 calories of lean meat and veg are the same calories and that as long as you eat the right number you will loose BUT I agree that 1000 calories of meat and veg will sustain you and make you less likely to be hungry and feel the urge to eat over your daily requirements. The article hints at that but doesn't go far enough. I hope the tv show will explain fully.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Counting calories makes you fatter

Just like watching your fuel gauge in you car makes it run out of fuel faster?
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Counting calories makes you fatter

Just like watching your fuel gauge in you car makes it run out of fuel faster?

A watched pot boils faster?

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes, its the Daily Fail so reported badly. I will be watching the programme tonight with interest.

In a sense I agree with a lot of what they say, its just very badly written. It is well known that low GI foods keep you fuller longer whilst drinks like alcohol barely make you feel satiated at all, despite being calorific. So, while yes it is a case of CICO it will be a lot easier to stick to a low calorie diet if that diet is full of big plates of low GI, high fibre food. Stops you being tempted to snack later and go over your calorie goal. Psychologically as well its useful to sit down to a full plate of lower cal food, rather than a small plate of chips.

Also, the science of how we burn through calories is finely nuanced. For example, look at the research on resistant starch- aka cold pasta has less available calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    Yes, its the Daily Fail so reported badly. I will be watching the programme tonight with interest.

In a sense I agree with a lot of what they say, its just very badly written. It is well known that low GI foods keep you fuller longer whilst drinks like alcohol barely make you feel satiated at all, despite being calorific. So, while yes it is a case of CICO it will be a lot easier to stick to a low calorie diet if that diet is full of big plates of low GI, high fibre food. Stops you being tempted to snack later and go over your calorie goal. Psychologically as well its useful to sit down to a full plate of lower cal food, rather than a small plate of chips.

Also, the science of how we burn through calories is finely nuanced. For example, look at the research on resistant starch- aka cold pasta has less available calories.

Pleas explain the science behind the claim that cold pasta has less calories than hot pasta of the same serving size.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chemist. Read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29629761 for the basics then try pubmed for the associated peer-review literature
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that the government can't actually do something about the absolute rubbish that this newspaper spews into people's minds, full of disinformation, hatred and lies disguised as questions.

It really should have some semblance of accountability.

Free speech and all of that malarky I guess.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Counting calories makes you fatter?

Hmmm. Tell that to the 152 pounds no longer residing on my body.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Does that mean my scale and mirror are lying to me?? :'(