What is your opinion on chewing gum?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    16 days into No Smoking if I didn't chew gum I would be rampaging through the kitchen cupboards. At the moment I am non stop chewing gum and if I end up with a gum habit - meh. I'm finding it is curbing my cigarette AND snack cravings. Bring on the gum - I can cope with mid afternoon wind :p
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I chew two pieces a day. Sugar free peppermint in the morning after my coffee and tea, and then a sugar free fruity flavor mid-afternoon.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Mastication is good for you. Chew your gum. ;)
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love gum, but it doesn't love me. I developed tmj about 18 years ago I part due to chewing gum a lot. I've found that if I chew more than 2 or 3 pieces, the artificial sugars really do a number on my digestive system. Some people react to them poorly, and I'm one of them. It means that gum is an infrequent thing for me these days. If it doesn't bother you, no need to stop!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't chew it as much as you but I do agree it helps when I feel "bored hungry" and keeps me from reaching for high calorie snacks. I only chew 1-2 pieces a day if even that but I prefer the minty gum flavor over morning coffee or afternoon lunch breath. :)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was chewing gum to get through my workouts, as my mouth would get dry. It caused me to start having TMJ symptoms. Really painful. My physical therapist told me to stop chewing gum, as it's known to cause TMJ. I stopped chewing gum and the pain went away.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I chew a couple of pieces a day. It helps me not snack when I'm just "bored hungry" not actually hungry. It has been a staple in my life for years, like over 10 years. It hasn't caused me any health issues, nor has it hindered my weight loss.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Nix143 wrote: »
    16 days into No Smoking if I didn't chew gum I would be rampaging through the kitchen cupboards. At the moment I am non stop chewing gum and if I end up with a gum habit - meh. I'm finding it is curbing my cigarette AND snack cravings. Bring on the gum - I can cope with mid afternoon wind :p

^^This. I'm 1-1/2 years smoke free, and if it weren't for gum, I'd still be a raging nic-fitting witch. So, maybe I get a little bloated or gassy--but I'm not smoking, I'm not shoving my face with donuts, and I'm a "happy girl".
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to chew it frequently (not a pack a day, but maybe a few pieces a day) and my jaw locked up on two different occasions. It stayed locked for days and was really painful so I stopped chewing gum and it never happened again. I always have a tin of Altoids Minis in my bag instead.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I thought I was the only one! I chew 2 pieces at a time and throw it out and replace it every hour while I am at work. I NEVER chew gum any other time... just at work right after I drink my coffee... and then through out the afternoon. Somehow it makes me drink more water...?

I didn't realize that it had calories though... I should be more careful!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I chew a couple pieces a day. I log the calories. I've never had jaw problems. I like the Extra Dessert flavors; helps with a sweet tooth (for me).