Question about Strength Training and Rest

Options
:s I hope you help me.

On a Mon, Weds & Thurs I do cardio with 0.5 kg weights on each ankle and each wrist.

On a Tues & Thurs I do weight training with a pair of dumbells weighing 2 kg each (don’t smirk :smile:)

I’ve heard when lifting weights you should rest your muscles a full day following.

So what are your opinions on what I’m doing, is it too much?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ankle weights can damage your joints if you're wearing them while doing cardio. The box even says NOT to do that.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/534719-risks-of-using-ankle-weights-for-walking/
    http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/danger-walking-ankle-weights-13395.html

2kg is about 4lbs.
    I bet your purse weighs more than that.
    And your username has "mom" in it, I can almost guarantee that your child weighs waaaaaaaaay more than that.

You're not overdoing it since you aren't lifting enough for any benefits.
    If you're injured, then yeah 4# weights are beneficial but you should be discussing that with a physiotherapist, not MFP
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lifting far too little for any benefit (unless you have some undisclosed condition).

Do your cardio properly (without ankle weights), do your strength training properly with weights that will actually stress your muscles.

You aren't alone - there seems to be an irrational fear of lifting things in the gym that weigh far less than objects you would pick up in everyday life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    As your weights are light theres no need to have a rest day - you would know if you were over doing things as you'd have serious DOMs the next day which would let you know you needed the rest day.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ankle weights warning, I genuinely did not know this, will read the links later, in the office at the moment. Re lifting heavier, I'm not afraid of looking muscular I like it, I just physically can't lift heavier for any prolonged period. I have a pair of 3 kg weights and I really struggle after a few reps and fear I'll hurt myself if I push it.
  • evelyneffie
    evelyneffie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    drop the weights with the cardio - not good. Yes, you should wait a day before doing THAT SAME SET OF MUSCLES. do upper one day, lower the next. If 2 is your weight, but try a 3.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    All of the above!

Your purse, your child, your grocery bags, the laundry basket, a full trash bag weighs a lot more than you are exercising with.

The Barbie weights won't do a thing when you are already picking up the stuff I mentioned.

Skip the ankle and wrist weights when doing the cardio like everyone said.. NO need to rest unless you really stress those muscle fibers out!!!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    Sir. Yes. Sir
    Nah, seriously, thank you, I did not know the little weights were ill advised.
    Ooh, what about Kickboxing, don't they wear weighted gloves?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ankle weights warning, I genuinely did not know this, will read the links later, in the office at the moment. Re lifting heavier, I'm not afraid of looking muscular I like it, I just physically can't lift heavier for any prolonged period. I have a pair of 3 kg weights and I really struggle after a few reps and fear I'll hurt myself if I push it.
    How many is a few? How much struggling? Like it's hard, or it burns, or like you couldn't do it even if someone held a gun to your head?
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    like you couldn't do it even if someone held a gun to your head? - this one
    I do work outs I find on YouTube, I did this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGFcjflwRUQ 15 reps an exercise, I could not do 15 reps per exercise and see to the end a 30 minute workout with 3 kg weights.
    Boo hoo I'm a whimp.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sir. Yes. Sir
    Nah, seriously, thank you, I did not know the little weights were ill advised.
    Ooh, what about Kickboxing, don't they wear weighted gloves?

They're not ill advised, just in the way you're using them. For instance, I can squat and deadlift a decent amount for my size, but I can't lateral raise more than a 10# dumbbell.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ditch the weights for your cardio I agree that it could potentially do more harm if you insist on it look into a weighted vest I dont think you are lifting an amount of weight that you need to be worried about rest but when you do rest will be vital for the muscle fibers to repair .......and lastly listen to your body you know it best if it feels good do it if not don't just keep up the hard work :)
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    Thank you guys, greatly appreciate...eBay here I come (sell not purchase).
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I do work outs I find on YouTube, I did this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGFcjflwRUQ 15 reps an exercise, I could not do 15 reps per exercise and see to the end a 30 minute workout with 3 kg weights.
    Boo hoo I'm a whimp.
    Lower your reps by half, increase your weight.

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yup, lower reps. Progressively heavier weights.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Boo hoo I'm a whimp.
    LOL. :)
    Re lifting heavier, I'm not afraid of looking muscular I like it, I just physically can't lift heavier for any prolonged period.
    The video is just exhausting you via constant use of muscles and not enough rest between sets. If you want to build muscle you need to challenge your type 2 muscle fibers, which means stuff that, starting from a point of well-rested, you couldn't do more than a max of about 20 times. (And usually more like 5-12 reps max is the range used.) You need to produce micro-damage to the muscles which stimulates repair and growth. Once you're already tired, your muscles don't have enough in them to do this damage, they just start phoning it in and making you feel like a whimp. ;) (In fact going to exhaustion/failure can increase recovery time and be counterproductive.)

Definitely look into some programs like strong lifts or starting strength (and I'm sure I've forgotten a few that others will mention.)