First 10k marathon..any advice?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A 10K, sometimes known as a mini marathon, is a fun race. It's long enough that it takes some time to run but not so long to cause stress on your body. I'm going to assume you're already trained and just offer a few tips for the race itself.
    1. Don't do anything on race day you haven't done in training. Don't wear new clothing or shoes, don't eat anything you haven't eaten before or during a training run, etc.
    2. Prepare everything you need the night before. Lay out the clothes and gear you'll need, attach the timing chip to your shoes (if needed), attach your bib (number) to your shirt or race belt, have your breakfast planned, plan your route to the race (take into account any road closures) and set your alarm clock.
    3. Check the race information for water stations. If there are none, consider bringing water if you'll think you need it. It's dry where I live so water is always a concern.
    4. Don't eat anything the night before that might cause trouble during the race. You don't need to eat anything special but avoid high fiber and high fat foods.
    5. Get plenty of sleep
    6. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the race. Closed roads can cause traffic problems.
    7. Most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself!

A 10k is NOT a mini marathon. Such nonsense.

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....
    Timing chips are attached to bibs and I largely see people picking bibs the day of the race, not the day before.
    And avoding high fat and high fiber foods is a blanket statement, there are those who would be fine with those foods. I ate onion rings and pizza the night before my half and I was a-ok.

It all depends on the timing service. I have run races with the bib chips but none of the races around here have them. Here, you either get a disposible chip to put on your shoe, a tag to put on your clothes or an anklet to wear and return after the race.
    That's even assuming the race is chip timed.

I've also seen races that do not offer bib pick up the day of, or at least require pre-arrangement to do that. Check the race info.

So I guess I'd add review the race info on their site if possible.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    First, figure out if you're running 6.2 or 26.2 miles.

What's the difference?

Mostly that one takes 4.23 times longer to complete.

(I keed! I keed! Please, angry runners, not to angrily pound out corrections on your keyboards.)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A 10K, sometimes known as a mini marathon, is a fun race. It's long enough that it takes some time to run but not so long to cause stress on your body. I'm going to assume you're already trained and just offer a few tips for the race itself.
    1. Don't do anything on race day you haven't done in training. Don't wear new clothing or shoes, don't eat anything you haven't eaten before or during a training run, etc.
    2. Prepare everything you need the night before. Lay out the clothes and gear you'll need, attach the timing chip to your shoes (if needed), attach your bib (number) to your shirt or race belt, have your breakfast planned, plan your route to the race (take into account any road closures) and set your alarm clock.
    3. Check the race information for water stations. If there are none, consider bringing water if you'll think you need it. It's dry where I live so water is always a concern.
    4. Don't eat anything the night before that might cause trouble during the race. You don't need to eat anything special but avoid high fiber and high fat foods.
    5. Get plenty of sleep
    6. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the race. Closed roads can cause traffic problems.

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....
    Timing chips are attached to bibs and I largely see people picking bibs the day of the race, not the day before.
    And avoding high fat and high fiber foods is a blanket statement, there are those who would be fine with those foods. I ate onion rings and pizza the night before my half and I was a-ok.

Wow nit picking. And also wrong.

I've run several races where the timing chip is attached to the shoe.

I have run several races where the bib is sent out in the mail.

Get plenty of sleep is also a blanket statement, doesnt mean it's not good general advice. As does the suggestion of avoiding high fat/fibre foods.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    5. Get plenty of sleep

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....

It all depends on the timing service. I have run races with the bib chips but none of the races around here have them. Here, you either get a disposible chip to put on your shoe, a tag to put on your clothes or an anklet to wear and return after the race.
    That's even assuming the race is chip timed.

I've also seen races that do not offer bib pick up the day of, or at least require pre-arrangement to do that. Check the race info.

So I guess I'd add review the race info on their site if possible.

Snap.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    5. Get plenty of sleep

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....

Get plenty of sleep is also a blanket statement, doesnt mean it's not good general advice. As does the suggestion of avoiding high fat/fibre foods.

I have to say, I've never recieved a bib in that mail. How fun. I love getting mail as long as it's not a bill.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    5. Get plenty of sleep

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....

I have to say, I've never recieved a bib in that mail. How fun. I love getting mail as long as it's not a bill.

It's very common here. Most of mine come in the mail.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    First, figure out if you're running 6.2 or 26.2 miles.

What's the difference?

How much cheesecake you can eat afterwards?
    WRONG!
    How much beer you can drink!

0fc.gif
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    In a month? Have you done any training at all? What's your general fitness like? I could do 5k without training and just be really slow but 10k I really need to prep for.

There are lots of running programmes online that should help.

Are you aiming for a certain time or just to get around in one piece? Are any of your friends doing it with you? I found it really useful to have a running buddy to keep me going when it was tough.

I hated the last one I did as it was a really muggy, close day.

Some races don't like you to have headphones in but my running soundtrack is very important! Motivating tracks of whatever genre are great for helping with my pace and for taking my mind off any struggles, I just slip into muscle memory.

5k fun runs are definitely more fun! You get more fancy dress and less serious runners but I feel like I've achieved way more after a 10k.

As for timing - I just check the time when I cross the line at the start and finish and do the maths!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In a month? Have you done any training at all? What's your general fitness like? I could do 5k without training and just be really slow but 10k I really need to prep for.

Are you aiming for a certain time or just to get around in one piece? Are any of your friends doing it with you? I found it really useful to have a running buddy to keep me going when it was tough.

Some races don't like you to have headphones in but my running soundtrack is very important! Motivating tracks of whatever genre are great for helping with my pace and for taking my mind off any struggles, I just slip into muscle memory.

5k fun runs are definitely more fun! You get more fancy dress and less serious runners but I feel like I've achieved way more after a 10k.

As for timing - I just check the time when I cross the line at the start and finish and do the maths!

Depends which 5K you are doing and how hard you're doing it. The effort I raced my last few 5Ks was far more intense than some of the 10ks I've done. :) I've seen some pretty serious runners toe the line at 5Ks too.

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Depends which 5K you are doing and how hard you're doing it. The effort I raced my last few 5Ks was far more intense than some of the 10ks I've done. :) I've seen some pretty serious runners toe the line at 5Ks too.
    Yeah, you'll get serious runners at every distance. I remember lining up for a local Turkey Trot a few years ago and suddenly having the Santa Monica Track Club show up to race. Boom. Surprise Olympians.

The good news is that unless you are one of the elites, you're really only ever racing yourself.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The rest is ok.

'Mini marathon' is commonly used as a reference to 10K.

A quick google search will yield results such as:
    One of the first events to use the name was the New York Mini Marathon, a women-only race first held in 1972.[2] Dublin's Women's Mini Marathon, a separate event to The Dublin Marathon, has had some 600,000 entrants since its inception in 1983.
    Both are 10K races.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The rest is ok.

'Mini marathon' is commonly used as a reference to 10K.

A quick google search will yield results such as:
    One of the first events to use the name was the New York Mini Marathon, a women-only race first held in 1972.[2] Dublin's Women's Mini Marathon, a separate event to The Dublin Marathon, has had some 600,000 entrants since its inception in 1983.
    Both are 10K races.

"Mini marathon" is also used to describe half marathons and some 5k's. It is used in so many variations that it really has no meaning beyond a race of less than marathon length.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First time racers need to know the proper procedures to start the race.

Some races have assigned corrals, usually designated by your bib based on the expected finish time you gave when you signed up. Please start in the appropriated corral (and most races allow you to drop back if you feel you are slower than you expected).

Oftentimes races do not have assigned corrals. If you see signs at the start that say "6:00", "7:00"..."9:00", "10:00", line up behind the one that most closely lines up with your minute per mile pace.

If there are no assigned corrals and no signs, it is a lot more challenging. Do not start at the very front unless you are very fast. If you plan to walk, start at the back.

It is incredibly frustrating when a majority of the participants in a race do not line up in a considerate fashion. I avoid certain local races (such as our Turkey Trot) because of this.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A month? Okay.

Make M/W/F short runs, try a run/walk combo (so, say...run 5-10 min, walk 1 min, repeat...base how long you run on how new to running you are)...start small, week 1: 2k...week 2: 3k...week 3: 4k...

Make Sat or Sun your long run day.
    Week 1: Run 4k for your long run
    Week 2: Run 6k for your long run
    Week 3: Run 8-10k for your long run
    Week 4: Race day

Day before race day: go for a *short* 1-2k run, loosen up, get out the energy and race day jitters, but don't overdo it.

Also, eat protein and carbs the day before.

You'll be great! And remember, there's no shame in doing a run/walk combo on race day. I use run/walk for half marathons (10m run/1min walk) and I almost always achieve a better time than friends who try to run the entire thing.

Oh, and at this point, just focus on endurance, don't worry about speed training yet. You'll get there.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Don't call a 10km a marathon.....
    This. While generally runners are nice friendly people, call a race that's not 26.2 miles a marathon and we'll push you into traffic. ;-)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This. While generally runners are nice friendly people, call a race that's not 26.2 miles a marathon and we'll push you into traffic. ;-)

That's harsh. I wouldn't do more than tie their laces together at the starting line.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options

That's harsh. I wouldn't do more than tie their laces together at the starting line.

You... lack the will.. of the warrior!

OFmlF5O.jpg

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Or walk 4 wide across the entire width of the course. Especially on out and back courses where the fast people are coming back against the slow traffic. I will play red rover with you and break my way through.
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dis_gon_be_good.gif
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    OP, can you clarify what distance you're running so we can give you legitimate advice?