Question about protein powder

Options
hello. I have a question about protein powder. A few month ago we bought our first protein powder but we didn't know much about eating healthy until 9 days ago. So now we need to buy more since the other one is running out but want to make the right choice. Can u help? :o

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You will get all sorts of answers but this is what I use. It tastes great!

amazon.com/gp/product/B000QSNYGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" and "right choice" is totally subjective. Just buy whichever protein powder is available, has a good price, and/or you've already tried and liked. I just buy whatever I find is cheapest and if it tastes gross i never buy it again. Using Kaizen and Pure Protein right now, probably won't rebuy the Kaizen.
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    I love this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Best-Isopure-Unflavored-3-Pound/dp/B002TG3QPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427337841&sr=8-1&keywords=Isopure+Unflavored

It has 0g net carbs and 26g of protein in one scoop. Plus, since it's unflavored, I love blending it with sugar free syrups. Sugar free raspberry has been my favorite recently. Since I live the keto way, mine are made with heavy whipping cream, ice, sometimes I will add MCT oil, the protein powder and then whichever flavor of sugar free syrup I want.

I bought my 3 pound jug over a month ago and I'm the only one who uses it. I have at least another month's worth in the jug and I have a drink every day - plus I will make cream cheese cookies with it sometimes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    LOVE Isopure and drink it during my strength training. Love Fitness Labs 6 Protein Blend in chocolate shake. I mix it with powdered PB and soy milk for breakfast most mornings--YUMMY and convenient. I also like Manitoba Harvest hemp proteins.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of protein powder and need the cheapest one but also one that is the purest or has the most protein per gram of weight. Here is how you do the math on the protein your looking at. For example I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate that you can find at Walmart for $21.95 for a 2lb tub. You take the amount of grams of protein per serving and divide it by the amount of gram of weight for that serving and multiply the total by 100.
    E.g. Body Fortress Whey Isolate has 30 grams of protein for a 34 gram scoop. 30/34*100= 88.235% protein per gram weight. This also translates into a good calorie to gram of protein ratio. 130 calories for 30 grams of protein is really good. So far only Isopure has a higher percentage that i have found. They both taste great and mix well but Isopure is more expensive.
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for your input and love the calculations too.
    I was reading about cellucor whey powder and nutrabio whey protein isolate So I'm debating which one I should get.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I also use Body Fortress Whey Isolate powder. I have Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate Peanut butter. I think they all taste good. I can drink the Strawberry and Vanilla with just water, but with milk (I use Almond) it's better. I like to stir in a little Chocolate Peanut Butter into my oatmeal too. Same with the Strawberry, then put chopped strawberries on top of the oatmeal. So good!
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've tried dozens of different brands but have settled on Kaizen Naturals Whey Protein Isolate. It's not sickly sweet with tons of sucralose or aspartame, but uses Stevia instead (and not an ungodly amount). It's not the cheapest protein, but all the cheaper ones I've tried were very chalky and had to be mixed with milk. The Kaizen Naturals powder mixes up perfectly in water, no particulates at all.

It also comes in a compostable container, which is a plus in my mind.
  • yiscaht
    yiscaht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Packaging/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427384081&sr=8-1&keywords=now+foods+whey+protein+isolate+unflavored

I love it because it's unflavored and not sweet, so it tastes like whatever I add to it. Morning one is usually a scoop of this, two cups of unsweetened almond milk and 2 tsps of Nescafe instant coffee.

Lunch time I use the same one, but chocolate flavored with two cups of unsweetened almond milk and a tblsp of powdered peanut butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    protein powder is just a supplement...if you can hit your protein targets without it, you don't need it. There are plenty of people who eat healthy and whatnot who've never touched a protein powder...protein powder has absolutely nothing to do with healthy eating.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I really like FitMiss Delight. 1 scoop contains 90 calories, 15gr. protein, and 1 carb. I add it to unsweetened almond milk with frozen fruit. I don't use it as a replacement meal per say, but rather a snack. Vanilla chai flavor with strawberries... mmmmm.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    protein powder is just a supplement...if you can hit your protein targets without it, you don't need it. There are plenty of people who eat healthy and whatnot who've never touched a protein powder...protein powder has absolutely nothing to do with healthy eating.

True. It's called a supplement for a reason. There's a lot of people out there who use protein powder that really don't need to. How much do you exercise? It is totally possible to get enough protein from your diet. But if you have a busy schedule, it's a lot easier to mix up a shake than it is to eat chicken breast on the go. I rotate between Syntha-6 and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Check out Bodybuilding.com, you can find reviews on pretty much every supplement out there.