Casein Protein

Options
mzjenn2u
mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
Is this recommended? I work out, strength train, 5-6 days per week usually pretty heavy, with some cardio here and there. I eat about 1500-1600cals per day BUT I tend to wake up in the middle of the night starving! Would casein help with this? I know it's a slow release protein taken at night right?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It is slow digesting, not slow release.

Apart from that technicality, it does work wonders for waking up hungry from my personal experience. That, and it is much better than chowing down a whole meal before bed time.

Try it out to see if it works for you.
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    Gotcha....thanks
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    considering milk is 80/20 casein/whey anyway, it's cheaper to just buy one of the new microfiltered milks that has more protein. The skim version would be almost like a shake, and will save you a few bucks.

I get that product from HEB here in Texas as Mootopia, but I've seen Kroger with a similar product.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is also primarily casein. Buy some and test it out before buying a whole bag of powder.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just eat before bed...
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    I try and eat like 830 9 but still wake up most nights like 1-2am and am starving lol
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's not how late, it's how much... I go to bed on a full stomach. Works for me.
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    I try to do the same but if I wake up Im starving...it sucks