Let's talk macros!

melanieliving
melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I love, love, love reading about everyone dietary choices and hearing what they aim for macro wise.

I aim for 50% fat, 35% protein and 15% carb.
I avoid bread and get my carbs primarily from vegetables/fruit/nuts/legumes. I also eat oatmeal and rice on "carb up" days.

So let's hear it!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I don't use ratios. They are a little too much "one size fits all" for me. I do my macros based on weight. A minimum 0.8 grams protein per lb always. Fat is 0.4-0.5 grams per lb on a bulk, 0.3-0.4 on a cut (again, minimum). Carbs are always variable and are just used to hit my calorie goals after fat and protein minimums have been hit. A normal bulking day for me is probably about 200 protein, 80 fat, 470 carbs. Cutting is more like 200 protein, 70 fat, 310ish carbs.
  • melanieliving
    Thank you for sharing! I use ratios when discussing macros in general as it's easier to conceptualize.

I based my ratios on lean body mass. My protein is usually about 100-130g, 70-85g of fat and carbs vary of course but I like to keep it around 60-100g (with a minimum of 25g fiber), re-feed days are usually more like 100-200g carbs.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    40% protein, 30% carbs and fat. I lift (heavy) 4-5 days a week targeting each muscle group individually and am training for a 25K so i have to keep the carbs up while trying to cut. What made you decide on 50% for fat?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I don't use ratios. They are a little too much "one size fits all" for me. I do my macros based on weight. A minimum 0.8 grams protein per lb always. Fat is 0.4-0.5 grams per lb on a bulk, 0.3-0.4 on a cut (again, minimum). Carbs are always variable and are just used to hit my calorie goals after fat and protein minimums have been hit. A normal bulking day for me is probably about 200 protein, 80 fat, 470 carbs. Cutting is more like 200 protein, 70 fat, 310ish carbs.

I follow a rule similar to this. I aim for minimum 0.8g/lb bodyweight of protein, 0.5g/lb fat and the rest is filled by carbs.

Currently, I'm only consuming 45g of carbs, but that's subject to change.
  • melanieliving
    The short version of my decision is that I've done a lot of research on primitive/indigenous diets and nutrition and more fat really is the way to go in my opinion. Fat is an excellent fuel, it satiates and is in my opinion that high fat/moderate protein/ lower carb (all plant based) is how we are generally designed to eat. Anecdotal evidence, my lifting has improved and when I follow my plan, the results are amazing and I get to eat so much delicious foods without feeling very restricted.

And for clarification my fat comes from nuts, meat, egg, avocado, coconut (oil/milk and fresh) and virgin olive oil and occasionally full fat dairy. I'm not just mowing down on fried foods! :)

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    40c/30f/30p - That ends up being about 170 g carbs, 57 g fat minimum, and 125 g protein minimum when I'm cutting. When I'm in maintenance, I get over 200 g carbs, which is nice.

Currently cutting, 1700 calories per day. I have one refeed day when I eat 2000-2150 (maintenance), and on those days I just focus on getting at least 100 g protein and the rest doesn't matter. It's typically very high carb and fat.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    vismal wrote: »

I support this. Nail your protein, and then adjust fats and carbs for rest days or lifting days.

As always, the macro split can be expressed as a ratio but the ratio should be derived from the raw numbers. Not the other way around.
  • chelseabreee
    chelseabreee Posts: 1 Member
    Can anyone helpe figure out what my macros should be? And if I should even use that method? I need to get rid of that stubborn fat. So I'm doing hiit, steady state cardio, and lifting. I'm really unsure of my diet in general.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm currently running about 60% protein, 7% carbs, 33% fat. But I don't build it with ratios, I build it based on protein requirements and LBM and then the ratios fall out of that.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I get anywhere from 120 - 180 grams of protein, 50-70 grams of fat, and round out the rest with carbs...generally I'm in the 200 gram range when losing weight and far more when in maintenance. I'm really not all that afraid of carbs and most of my carbs pack a lot of actual nutrition that would be scant otherwise...i.e. regular consumption of oats and legumes for hitting my fiber targets, etc.
  • melanieliving
    I eat as many carbs as needed to hit 25g fiber (minimum), lots of careful selecting. Now it's more second nature to choose high fiber, nutrient rich sources of carbohydrates.
  • Susanna5781
    Susanna5781 Posts: 10 Member
    I see a few of you figure out the math for protein and fat per pound, is there one for carbs?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat as many carbs as needed to hit 25g fiber (minimum), lots of careful selecting. Now it's more second nature to choose high fiber, nutrient rich sources of carbohydrates.

40ish grams here...
  • melanieliving
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

40ish grams here...

Nice! It's surprisingly not every difficult if you pay attention. I was getting less fiber when i was eating way more carb heavy. All about quality of food!
  • BritDillinger
    BritDillinger Posts: 77
    edited March 2015
    I live the Ketogenic Lifestyle, which is a very low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet.

My macros are 70% fat (100g), 27% protein (85g), 3% carbohydrates (10g net) with a 25% deficit leaving my daily caloric intake to be 1278kcal. I love it. It makes me feel wonderful and the body fat just melts off. I have finally become fat adapted after a week of ketosis. I just don’t update my weight loss on MFP sometimes. Oops.

Edit: Oops, forgot to add that I primarily try to get my carbs from dietary fibers, but natural sugars also make it into my diet. Like lactose from heavy creams and such.

And net grams in carbs, if anyone is wondering, is when you take the total carbohydrates in the food and subtract any dietary fibers and sugar alcohols. You do not absorb these and instead expel them from your body by urination or defecation.
  • BritDillinger
    BritDillinger Posts: 77
    edited March 2015
    Can anyone helpe figure out what my macros should be? And if I should even use that method? I need to get rid of that stubborn fat. So I'm doing hiit, steady state cardio, and lifting. I'm really unsure of my diet in general.

You could try the Ketogenic Diet. It's main focus is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. It's great for burning off body fat and building muscle.

And to dispel any misinformation, it's not a high protein diet. It's moderate protein. You want to meet your protein goals, keep carbs low (under 20g net) and eat fat for satiety. Calories still matter. There's a calculator you can use for assistance in the /r/keto.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My intake is around 2800 right now at maintenance/recomp, so it works out to be about 15-20% protein (105-140g), ~40% fat (124g) and then I fill the rest with carbs (any and all carbs).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I see a few of you figure out the math for protein and fat per pound, is there one for carbs?

Yup! Just eat whatever is left over after you calculate your protein and fat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Whatever is left from your calorie targets. When I'm not actively looking to lose weight, I also eat back the bulk of my exercise calories as carbs.

So, really, the whole 'ratio' thing is the wrong way to look at it, IMO.
  • kshubeck
    kshubeck Posts: 4 Member
    How does everyone get in that much protein? I've been testing out the low carb concept for several months now and can't seem to get all the protein in, even when I incorporate low carb protein drinks. I still come up around 50-60% fat, 30% protein, and the rest carbs. If I were to do the .8 x bodyweight for protein, that would put me at 120g. I struggle to get to 100g, on a good day.